• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    Big Dave,

I'm cross-dextral. That's what they call it in the scientific research regarding shooters with different dominance of hand and eye. I'm left eye dominant and right handed.

I've been shooting for 30 years and it didn't take that long for my right eye to "learn" to focus on my front sight. I still practice a night or two a week bringing a sight up and keeping both eyes open. It's not impossible and quite trainable.

For a beginner, they should try shooting with their dominant eye and non-dominant hand though and see how it feels. But I think the tape idea might be a good thing to at least try.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Write left handed, think Im left eye dominant. Shoot long gun right handed. Both eyes open, call for bird with an unmounted gun.

Usually average between 60%-80% on weekend warrior sporting clay courses when we find time to shoot clays more than once a month.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That method is not entirely accurate. And it cannot tell you if you do not have a truely dominate eye. Some people, the "dominate" eye can switch based on circumstances, even during a shotgun swing.

The method I use requires two people. The person being tested stands 10 - 15 feet away. The tester closes their non-dominate eye, and has the testee point to the open eye (of the tester) with their finger. The eye the tester sees over the finger is the dominate eye.

HOWEVER, have the testee try this with EACH hand. Many times they show right eye dominate with their right hand and left eye dominate with their left hand.

In this case, about the only thing you can do is to use the tape/sticky spot to block out the less dominate eye.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    Quick Eye Dominance Test

Eye dominance quick test:

1. Make an "okay" symbol with your dominant hand, arm fully extended
    and pointing downward at your waist. Okay is making a circle with your thumb and index finger.

2. Find a small object on a wall or on something about 15-20 feet away. I use a light switch or the center of a clock. You get it.

3. With both eyes open, bring the circle you've made with your thumb and index finger up, arm fully extended, so you can see the small object through the hole.

4. Close you right and left eyes at different times. Your dominant eye is the one you've aligned on your visual target through the hole.

Hope this helps anyone who doesn't know their eye dominance.

I've seen folks use the method Pinecone suggested and it works well. The quick version is just in case you wanna try it quick with no one else's help or making materials.

Extra Note:
    I use this quick test with Soldiers coming in for research studies that require knowing the dominant eye. It works 99% of the time on the first try. 3 times and you'll know with near certainty. In some situations where you've trained your right eye to sight with both eyes open, your left eye can sometimes take over. I notice this myself in missed clays and the tape over one eye or shielding the non-preferred shooting eye helps in this case. You see this in the elite shooters.

I don't like tape or shielding because I prefer the wide view of two eyes, so I suck it up and concentrate harder visually.

best,

Scribe556

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    See Pinecones response to the triangle. He is absolutely right. Check out this video. There are several degrees of right eye or left eye dominance. Dr. Colo explains this phenomenon and has a good test using your camera. Very similiar to Pinecones test, but more static and the results are documented in a freeze frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD3TKy-FCnA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom