• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slepnair

May 13, 2014
    Hey everyone, I am traveling to MD soon and had a question.

I am coming from North Carolina (I have an NC CCP) and am riding my motorcycle up to MD. Because of the route I am taking I may end up in some areas on my way up that I will prefer to have my sidearm with me. Can I legally, before I reach MD, Unload my sidearm, store it in a locked case in my backpack, store the ammo in a leg pocket and my mags either in my holder or the locked tool storage on the bike?

I don't feel safe traveling so far without my sidearm, and if I was in my car, I'd have it in a locked box tethered to my car, but alas that does not work for my motorcycle.

I am not looking to carry when I am in MD unless I can find a way to legally do it, but I will want to have it for the trip there and back. Any Ideas and/or advice?

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Hey everyone, I am traveling to MD soon and had a question.

I am coming from North Carolina (I have an NC CCP) and am riding my motorcycle up to MD. Because of the route I am taking I may end up in some areas on my way up that I will prefer to have my sidearm with me. Can I legally, before I reach MD, Unload my sidearm, store it in a locked case in my backpack, store the ammo in a leg pocket and my mags either in my holder or the locked tool storage on the bike?

I don't feel safe traveling so far without my sidearm, and if I was in my car, I'd have it in a locked box tethered to my car, but alas that does not work for my motorcycle.

I am not looking to carry when I am in MD unless I can find a way to legally do it, but I will want to have it for the trip there and back. Any Ideas and/or advice?

You described it pretty well (and no, 'carry' in MD will not be an option)

Enjoy your visit!

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I'm not looking to carry while in MD, just up until MD. With what I described, can I get away with it legally?

I don't think I understand what you are asking? What are you 'getting away with" if you not planing on CCWing ??

EDIT: You cannot transport a loaded firearm in or through MD, and I'm not sure you can even transport a pistol if you plan on stopping somewhere in MD, outside of some very specific transport rules.. but others will be along to clarify if I got that wrong...

Slepnair

May 13, 2014
    I don't think I understand what you are asking? What are you 'getting away with" if you not planing on CCWing ??

I know MD can be rather strict and picky about firearms. It will be unloaded and locked in a case in my backpack. get away with may be a poor choice of words.

I will be staying for 2 nights and then traveling back to NC, I just want to make sure that If i have it unloaded, mags unloaded, and the firearm locked up in my bag, and i get pulled over, I wont get into trouble.

johnb007

Jul 6, 2011
    If its in a backpack and unloaded, will the MSP consider it accessible? What about locked in a lockbox in a backpack while on a motorcycle?

Sent from my android device using carrier pigeons.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I know MD can be rather strict and picky about firearms. It will be unloaded and locked in a case in my backpack. get away with may be a poor choice of words.

I will be staying for 2 nights and then traveling back to NC, I just want to make sure that If i have it unloaded, mags unloaded, and the firearm locked up in my bag, and i get pulled over, I wont get into trouble.

Your transport method is correct, BUT.. If it's a 'regulated firearm' (pistol), I Don't think you will be able to..

As it stands now, WE are NOT even permitted to transport a regulated firearm with VERY few exceptions. (Gun Shop, Range, Owned House, and maybe a couple of others)

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    If you were traveling through our 'great state', you would be Ok the way you've described, but as soon as you stop somewhere I think it's gets dicey.

Slepnair

May 13, 2014
    Sounds like I won't be able to stop until I get to my friends place. At that point I think i should be fine since it will be private properly. And then i will have to leave it there if we go anywhere else.

that and pray I don't get pulled If i take it with me on the trip.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I believe, officially, when traveling interstate, federal rules apply. You can check atf.gov, but I believe those require the pistol to be unloaded, in a case with the ammunition physically separated from the gun and the gun out of easy reach.

Slepnair

May 13, 2014
    I believe, officially, when traveling interstate, federal rules apply. You can check atf.gov, but I believe those require the pistol to be unloaded, in a case with the ammunition physically separated from the gun and the gun out of easy reach.

Thankfully I think I can consider locked in a case, at the bottom of a backpack covered in clothes and other stuff, with the opening of the back rolled up and clipped (all weather back), the cover zipped, and clipped closed as secured.

The mags will probably be in my holster, and the ammo will be in a locked compartment on the motorcycle that I can't reach, let alone access with the bike turned on (it uses the same key that will be in the ignition)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP's Post #9 !

On the Virginia side of the border , arrange your transport mode as described, then proceede to your temporary domicile ( aka friends house ). Your pistol will need to remain there , barring a trip to the range or other specifically allowed destination. Then upon departure , prodeede to the state line.

The bad news is a Md Ofc/ ASA could decide to ignore Federal law , and charge you. The good news is you would have a garrentied win at trial.

Slepnair

May 13, 2014
    The OP's Post #9 !

On the Virginia side of the border , arrange your transport mode as described, then proceede to your temporary domicile ( aka friends house ). Your pistol will need to remain there , barring a trip to the range or other specifically allowed destination. Then upon departure , prodeede to the state line.

The bad news is a Md Ofc/ ASA could decide to ignore Federal law , and charge you. The good news is you would have a garrentied win at trial.

well.. let's hope it doesn't get as far as me even getting stopped and ticketed...

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    Thankfully I think I can consider locked in a case, at the bottom of a backpack covered in clothes and other stuff, with the opening of the back rolled up and clipped (all weather back), the cover zipped, and clipped closed as secured.

The mags will probably be in my holster, and the ammo will be in a locked compartment on the motorcycle that I can't reach, let alone access with the bike turned on (it uses the same key that will be in the ignition)

Not a good idea. MD State police will still consider it in a backpack as "accessible." Don't keep ANYTHING on your body....no holster, no magazine....nothing at all.

Keep it all in the locked compartment on the motorcycle, but separated. For example:

1) Pistol locked in case and placed in locked compartment on motorcycle
    2) Magazine and holster in the locked compartment
    3) Ammunition separated from #1 and #2 but also in the locked compartment. If you want to be extra safe, put it in something that would make it hard to open.
    4) Have nothing firearms related on your body at all times.
    5) Keep everything at your friends house in MD until you need to leave or are going to a range or firearms repair store.

That's the safest way to avoid getting in trouble with the People's Republik of Maryland. I know some members here will argue about the need for #3, but you really don't want to have to appear in court 2 months from now just to beat a criminal charge that could have been easily avoided.

Good luck and be safe. MD drivers are notorious for tailgating bikes.

Dizzy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom