• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SuperSoap

Member of the Great 28
    Apr 5, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    I can’t seem to find a straight answer on this so I’ll ask here. Does the wear and carry permit only apply to handguns specifically? Can I keep a rifle or shotgun in my truck? I know the wear and carry permit extends to weapons such as switchblades. I can’t find anything specifically stating I can’t keep a loaded shotgun or rifle in my truck or in a bag. I’ve tried sifting through the Maryland laws and can’t find anything.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    I can’t seem to find a straight answer on this so I’ll ask here. Does the wear and carry permit only apply to handguns specifically? Can I keep a rifle or shotgun in my truck? I know the wear and carry permit extends to weapons such as switchblades. I can’t find anything specifically stating I can’t keep a loaded shotgun or rifle in my truck or in a bag. I’ve tried sifting through the Maryland laws and can’t find anything.
    Yes. Any firearm must not be within reach of the driver, so it would have to either be in the trunk or in a case. I didn't think that the WCP applies to non-firearms, but if so, then that's awesome! :)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Don’t believe you can. W&C permit is for a handgun.
    You can keep a long gun in the vehicle but it needs to be unloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperSoap

Member of the Great 28
    Apr 5, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Yes. Any firearm must not be within reach of the driver, so it would have to either be in the trunk or in a case. I didn't think that the WCP applies to non-firearms, but if so, then that's awesome! :)
    Yeah

Md. CRIMINAL LAW Code Ann. § 4-101​

Says that the following weapons are prohibited unless a person has a permit to carry.

dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku

So these are all fair game with your wear and carry permit.

SuperSoap

Member of the Great 28
    Apr 5, 2018
    Southern Maryland

Better safe than sorry I suppose. I’ll stick with the Glock. It would be nice to be able to have a long gun of some kind for self defense from animals when I’m camping.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    Yeah

Md. CRIMINAL LAW Code Ann. § 4-101​

Says that the following weapons are prohibited unless a person has a permit to carry.

dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku

So these are all fair game with your wear and carry permit.
    It's strange because the WCP class doesn't go over how to use the mentioned devices in self-defense.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I've seen some LE shows with DNR and wildlife officers, and they seem to have a different set of rules about loaded long guns in vehicles during hunting season. I don't know the actual rules, but you might want to look into that. Probably not going to be an issue in B'more.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

Which I never understood since MD's BS for being may-issue was we had long-gun carry. Unloaded it is just a very poorly designed baseball bat.

I don't think we can ever thank Justice Thomas enough.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    DNR regs prohibit a loaded long gun in a vehicle all year round.. They consider it possibly hunting from a vehicle. It is to discourage hunting/shooting from a vehicle. You can still rack your shotgun in the back window like we did when we were kids driving about, but it must be unloaded.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Wait, do I understand you correctly? Are you saying that even with a carry permit one cannot have his handgun within reach of being in the drivers seat?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Ah , no . Partial confusion with FOPA for INTERstate travel .

With W&C , Handguns may be loaded and in reach .

Under State Law , all firearms must be unloaded in vehicles , year round , statewide , except handguns with W&C .

Magazines may be loaded , and adjacent to the gun , and both within reach . * See follow up below *

There are a few Grandfathered local laws affecting long guns that predate Preemption , notably Baltimore City , MoCo , and Leonardtown .

** From above ; In this instance , within the letter of state law isn't necessarily * Wise & Prudent * . A measure of discretion about your rifle or shotgun not being in plain sight , with at minimum reduce the incidence of theft .

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    Ah , no . Partial confusion with FOPA for INTERstate travel .

With W&C , Handguns may be loaded and in reach .

Under State Law , all firearms must be unloaded in vehicles , year round , statewide , except handguns with W&C .

Magazines may be loaded , and adjacent to the gun , and both within reach . * See follow up below *

There are a few Grandfathered local laws affecting long guns that predate Preemption , notably Baltimore City , MoCo , and Leonardtown .

** From above ; In this instance , within the letter of state law isn't necessarily * Wise & Prudent * . A measure of discretion about your rifle or shotgun not being in plain sight , with at minimum reduce the incidence of theft .
    I was specifically mentioning long guns, and I forgot to focus the context on the original question. Despite what local or state laws said, I wanted to point out the last fact you mentioned about not having a long gun in plain sight.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I meant to say only long guns must be either in the trunk or in a case. My mistake.
    Years ago I drove home from the gun store with a very long uncased and unloaded mosin on the passenger seat next to me. Are you saying that I broke the law?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom