TSA Stops Me from Carrying on five 30 rd Magazines!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texson66

Nov 25, 2009
    On my way back to MD, I was "intercepted" by the intrepid storm troopers of the TSA at the SA airport. I was required to go back to start on security screening and check my carry-on roller board with the mags in it. OK by me. I understand how deadly these polyethylene boxes can be especially when carried by a US Veteran of 20 years service record in the USAF.

As I began to comply, Mr Spiffy TSA agent turn up to get all kinds of information from me about me. He photo copies my DL and boarding pass and then turns it over to the San Antonio police who are going through their 3rd cup of coffee and 2nd breakfast burrito.

Anyway, here is my complain to the TSA. I really want to understand why it is the business of the TSA or the SAPD to have ANY of this information.

Here's my compliant to the Napolitano Org:

"Complaint: I was stopped at the Terminal security position by a male TSA operator. I was told that NOW it was illegal to have empty magazines (made of polyethylene) for a rifle in the carry on baggage. OK, I'll give the TSA person the benefit of the doubt on this rule for now.

He explained I would need to take my repacked roller board back to be checked for the flight and go through security again. Fine. As I was ready to comply, the TSA agent wants all kinds of personal information and verification (he had photocopied my boarding pass and DL).

Why was he allowed to collect this information? On top of that, he then contacted the San Antonio police with a copy of that information. Why was this mattered handled in this way? I was complying and yet being reported to the police for a completely innocuous action.

I need to understand under what rule of law that information needed to be gathered and then in addition turned over to the SA police. What criminal offense have I committed that required informing the police?

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin"

I'll let you know how this turns out. I'm looking for a lawyer right now.

Anyone have this much "excitement" with these little blue shirtters?

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    What a bunch of BS. At least they didn't give you a cavity search. I think they were just happy to have a new name to add to their secret "terrorist watch list". This is exactly why it is best for Marylanders to buy hi caps in VA or PA and drive them back.

sigrug17

Jun 22, 2009
    Gaithersburg
    Coming back from FL they took (confiscated) my 2 30rd. Magpul mags. and missed my flight, and was sent a stupid warning letter. Idiots!

texson66

Nov 25, 2009
    My main concern is the gathering of my personal info and having it forwarded to a PD when NO criminal offense was committed. The action of the TSA officer is very much like the old WWII movie cliche, "Ihre papier, bitte! Mach Schnell!"

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    No disrespect intended, but why didn't you just check them with the rest of your baggage? Being discrete is the key in many situations. It would have avoided the whole incident.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You might want to talk with the mods to have this thread deleted. Since you violated the TSA rule about carrying gun parts in unchecked baggage.

You'll probably be getting a summons to appear in court.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Inigoes, TSA already knows the guy broke the rules. Kind of hard to dispute that. What is at issue is that the OP doesn't understand that he did.

I doubt he will get a summons, just a nasty letter warning him. NOT legal advise, I am not a lawyer.

Now, here is the $64,000, if you pack empty mags in your checked luggage, do you still have to declare them? Sounds like it. Same if you try to transport a case of empty mags via aircraft. (excluding general aviation)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Inigoes, TSA already knows the guy broke the rules. Kind of hard to dispute that. What is at issue is that the OP doesn't understand that he did.

Not arguing that, but the OP probably doesn't want to make a bad situation worse.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    On my way back to MD, I was "intercepted" by the intrepid storm troopers of the TSA at the SA airport. I was required to go back to start on security screening and check my carry-on roller board with the mags in it. OK by me. I understand how deadly these polyethylene boxes can be especially when carried by a US Veteran of 20 years service record in the USAF.

As I began to comply, Mr Spiffy TSA agent turn up to get all kinds of information from me about me. He photo copies my DL and boarding pass and then turns it over to the San Antonio police who are going through their 3rd cup of coffee and 2nd breakfast burrito.

Anyway, here is my complain to the TSA. I really want to understand why it is the business of the TSA or the SAPD to have ANY of this information.

Here's my compliant to the Napolitano Org:

"Complaint: I was stopped at the Terminal security position by a male TSA operator. I was told that NOW it was illegal to have empty magazines (made of polyethylene) for a rifle in the carry on baggage. OK, I'll give the TSA person the benefit of the doubt on this rule for now.

He explained I would need to take my repacked roller board back to be checked for the flight and go through security again. Fine. As I was ready to comply, the TSA agent wants all kinds of personal information and verification (he had photocopied my boarding pass and DL).

Why was he allowed to collect this information? On top of that, he then contacted the San Antonio police with a copy of that information. Why was this mattered handled in this way? I was complying and yet being reported to the police for a completely innocuous action.

I need to understand under what rule of law that information needed to be gathered and then in addition turned over to the SA police. What criminal offense have I committed that required informing the police?

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin"

I'll let you know how this turns out. I'm looking for a lawyer right now.

Anyone have this much "excitement" with these little blue shirtters?

Oh, I can beat that: I had a plastic stock from an 870, and got swarmed. Not the mounting hardware or the butt plate; just the hollow plastic triangle piece. With their response, you would have thought I had a thermonuclear device.

That being said, I realize (now) that I had broken the rules; I used some common sense- shame on me. I did call Southwest before I went to the airport, but was given bad information. ("Is it a receiver or a barrel? No? Then you good to go.") As it turns out, that's not the criteria that the TSA uses.

Now if I have so much as a gun magazine, I check my bags and "declare" them.

You'll just get a warning letter not to do it again, and "they consider the case closed"; which for me is kinda silly- had I known I couldn't in the first place, I wouldn't have.

texson66

Nov 25, 2009
    No disrespect intended, but why didn't you just check them with the rest of your baggage? Being discrete is the key in many situations. It would have avoided the whole incident.

I wanted to get home without the hassle of checking bags and to save time

oather

Oct 19, 2009

Here's the issue I have, the law should apply no differently to you, nor anyone else who served in any branch than regular citizens. I can't tell by looking at you that you are a veteran. Being a veteran doesn't make you a more responsible or informed individual (as evidenced by the mistake you made). And in this case you are using it from a position of victimization, as if, somehow, you should be immune from life's unfairnesses or government's stupidity. I genuinely appreciate your service but you are just a citizen like everyone else.

The "Only Ones (who should be allowed to have guns)" mentality is one that needs to be driven out of our cultural mentality because it confers extra-human powers on people who are just regular humans who happen to wear uniforms.

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    Basically from what I understand is that whenever go you through TSA, you lose all your rights. That even includes that they can temporarily confiscate your laptop you have (i forget how many hours) and are allowed to copy off anything they want off of it. I believe that also have to comply to unlock the files.

Bernie

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    Man, if I was in San Antonio with that kind of hassle, I'd just give up and stay there. Of course I'm from Seguin and wish more than anyone would understand why I'd love an excuse to stay there.
    FWIW, the TSA bubba's in SA are 'different' than most I've seen. My checkon needed extra screening, and after it was done I stood there like an idiot waiting for one of the 'doo-waa's to get around to tell me to proceed. Fat chance of that.

texson66

Nov 25, 2009
    How'd that turn out for you? :D

Well, it was actually a lot better than gate checking the rollon in SA (it was a regional jet (read small). I wouldnt have had access to the rollon until I reached Charlotte.)

texson66

Nov 25, 2009
    Here's the issue I have, the law should apply no differently to you, nor anyone else who served in any branch than regular citizens. I can't tell by looking at you that you are a veteran. Being a veteran doesn't make you a more responsible or informed individual (as evidenced by the mistake you made). And in this case you are using it from a position of victimization, as if, somehow, you should be immune from life's unfairnesses or government's stupidity. I genuinely appreciate your service but you are just a citizen like everyone else.

The "Only Ones (who should be allowed to have guns)" mentality is one that needs to be driven out of our cultural mentality because it confers extra-human powers on people who are just regular humans who happen to wear uniforms.

Actually, I expect no special treatment. Of course, the TSA officer saw both my Mil ID and DL. I complied with the TSA instructions.

Again: I didnt expect the TSA to get my information and then turn it over to the SA PD. I dont think ANYONE's info should be handled in that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom