• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMD354

Does anyone here tumble thier brass leaving the fired primers in and resize and deprime later? I was just wondering if there was anyway to get around picking media out of the primer pockets. I'm talking about 38 special, 357 mag, 9mm, 44 mag and 45 ACP.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    yep, that's exactly how I do it. never had a problem. I do try and keep my media clean so I don't have problems pushing real dirty brass into my dies.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I tumble then size everything. But after sizing my bottleneck cases I'll tumble them again for a bit to get rid of the lube. I also run all cases thru a media seperator and I've never had any media hung up in the flash hole or primer pockets.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    I tumble when I get home from the range.

Lube, decap, trim and size, and expand when I'm ready, and then clean lube off in either ultra sonic or tumbler, package and store ready to be loaded.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I tumble when I get home from the range.

Lube, decap, trim and size, and expand when I'm ready, and then clean lube off in either ultra sonic or tumbler, package and store ready to be loaded.

Weber you should size before you trim. :)
    Lube,decap,size and trim

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Clean reloadable cases are a must. I reload MANY different calibers so some cases are processes differently. As a general rule:
    - All range cases are sorted and tumbled with spent primers in place. That removes range crud that would mix with lube and foul my dies.
    - Tumbled and batched cases are then lubed (when necessary) and resized/decapped and trimmed.
    - Most cases receive a second tumble to remove lube and add shine.
    - Before priming, primer pockets and flash holes are visually inspected for debris. Dirty primer pockets usually get cleaned with a tool.

Each of us is personally responsible for the safety of our reloads. Leave any and ALL mistakes on the reloading bench!

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Even better... Dillons Trimmer ?

null_zpsc6bb88ff.jpg

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    I tumble, load the round and then tumble the finished round to get the lube off. after a few loadings I tumble, lube, deprime and size, trim and clean primer pockets, run through resizing die again and load.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I tumble, load the round and then tumble the finished round to get the lube off. after a few loadings I tumble, lube, deprime and size, trim and clean primer pockets, run through resizing die again and load.

"then tumble the finished round"

Really? Tumbling live rounds isn't a safety precaution recommended by anyone anywhere I've ever heard of...

No thanks...

Not worth the risk IMHO

:sad20:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana

You should not tumble loaded ammo. That's not a good thing to do with loaded rounds,
    Smokeless Powders have a coating on the outside that changes the burning rate of that particular powder. When tumbled the coating can wear and the burning rate may / can or will change. You may never have a problem but its one of those things you just don't do.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    You should not tumble loaded ammo. That's not a good thing to do with loaded rounds,
    Smokeless Powders have a coating on the outside that changes the burning rate of that particular powder. When tumbled the coating can wear and the burning rate may / can or will change. You may never have a problem but its one of those things you just don't do.

Questions:
    -What % does the coating on the powder change the burn rate once the loaded round is tumbled?
    -Does the coating evaporate when the live rounds are tumbled?

I get soooo confused...;)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I prefer to tumble before I size and decap - for me brass has to be functional. Shiny is secondary.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Hodgdon ballistics techs have specifically recommended against the common practice of tumbling loaded rounds.

I figure they're smarter than I am. I'll take their word for it.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Questions:
    -What % does the coating on the powder change the burn rate once the loaded round is tumbled?
    -Does the coating evaporate when the live rounds are tumbled?

I get soooo confused...;)

If I recall it depends on if its a single or double base powder.
    Single base is 1% and Double Base is 3% ......hell it could be the other way.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater

There is nothing that will happen when tumbling live rounds that doesn't happen at an ammo factory or on a truck shipping to stores. This has been proven before.

Most ammo companies tumble their ammo before packaging and all are shipped on trucks or other means of transport.

The powder doesn't degrade because of tumbling and primers aren't going to go off in a tumbler. Those are all rumors that are not true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom