• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    So I have a 580 series mini 14 that I just shot for the first time and was pretty disappointed. At 50 yards, three different loads off the shelf and it shot 2-3 inches. If that was at 100 yards I wouldn't be as upset, but I figure if I can tune it up some why not.

My plan is to glass bed the action, slick up the trigger a little and see how it does. So far I quickly checked the gas block mounting screws for comming loose. I've cleaned out the copper fouling and that's about it.

Has anyone had good results tuning up a mini without dumping wads of money into it? I'll play around with different rounds and what not.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Isn't that the accuracy to be expected out of a mini-14? I've always heard that they weren't real good shooters.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Isn't that the accuracy to be expected out of a mini-14? I've always heard that they weren't real good shooters.
    Some of them are really bad. Others are ok. Primarily depends on series. They're acceptable for their designated use as a truck gun but they're no sharpshooter power house

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    So I have a 580 series mini 14 that I just shot for the first time and was pretty disappointed. At 50 yards, three different loads off the shelf and it shot 2-3 inches. If that was at 100 yards I wouldn't be as upset, but I figure if I can tune it up some why not.

My plan is to glass bed the action, slick up the trigger a little and see how it does. So far I quickly checked the gas block mounting screws for comming loose. I've cleaned out the copper fouling and that's about it.

Has anyone had good results tuning up a mini without dumping wads of money into it? I'll play around with different rounds and what not.
    If it's not the ammo, how far is it chucking brass and is it denting ejected cases? On my 580 series, it was way over gassed from the factory (was throwing dented brass ~15 yards). Swapping out for a smaller diameter gas bushing (got a set from Accuracy Systems) solved that problem and also tightened up groups a fair bit.

IIRC, Accu-Strut can improve accuracy in the earlier pencil-barrel models, but is essentially a cosmetic addition on the 580s with the tapered barrels.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Just the other week I installed the Accuracy Systems gas block and barrel stabilizer. I went this route rather than the other guys because this looks cleaner. My Mini 14 is an old pencil barrel model rated for .223 only. I'll try to shoot it in January and report.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Ejection seems fine, 2-3 o'clock and 10 or so feet away. Maybe a touch over gassed but nothing extreme.

Guys I'm looking for folks who have hands on tuning their rifle up, not I've heard of this and that.
    I'm just wanting to tighten it up a little and make it more consistent. That's why I'm bedding and doing trigger work.

I'm not thinking the strut would be worth it in this case, as it's a 580 series it does not have the very thin pencil barrel.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Just the other week I installed the Accuracy Systems gas block and barrel stabilizer. I went this route rather than the other guys because this looks cleaner. My Mini 14 is an old pencil barrel model rated for .223 only. I'll try to shoot it in January and report.

That looks cool, I have a Schuster gas plug on my M1A to be able to control how much gas goes into the piston. It takes a little tuning but softens it up a lot.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    That looks cool, I have a Schuster gas plug on my M1A to be able to control how much gas goes into the piston. It takes a little tuning but softens it up a lot.
    I agree. The competing product uses two barrel clamps, so it looks clunkier. I am really looking forward to dropping brass a lot closer to me. Right now my Mini really sends brass flying. The accuracy should improve as well. We'll see.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    If it's not the ammo, how far is it chucking brass and is it denting ejected cases? On my 580 series, it was way over gassed from the factory (was throwing dented brass ~15 yards). Swapping out for a smaller diameter gas bushing (got a set from Accuracy Systems) solved that problem and also tightened up groups a fair bit.

IIRC, Accu-Strut can improve accuracy in the earlier pencil-barrel models, but is essentially a cosmetic addition on the 580s with the tapered barrels.
    Yup,, before glass bedding, etc,, get the gassing dialed down and that will tighten up groups .

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Adjustable gas block makes a 50+ percent improvement after dialed in. I still like to see the brass go flying at times at the range. My 583 was throwing them about 15 -20 feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom