• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nknacd

Nov 16, 2008
    I've never been turkey hunting and with the season coming up soon does anyone have any thoughts on a good place to go? Whether that is in MD or one of the surrounding states. I'm willing to drive.

nknacd

Nov 16, 2008
    i heard hunting on public lands isn't very good. Most of what i hear is that they are over crowded all the time.

b&csumday

Mar 10, 2011
    Harford County
    PA has TONS of state land to hunt. I have hunted north central PA for deer, there are areas that you can walk in miles and never dream of seeing someone (unless it is bear season :lol2:) haven't chased gobblers up there yet, but have seen a few flocks around. Now, this isn't your typical farm hunt that you walk 200 yds behind the barn, set a decoy, and tag one in an hour... lots of walking but you don't have to worry about everyone and their brother sneaking in on your set up.

As far as finding private MD land, good luck. If you do end up finding some, let me know where :D

I would guess WVA to be the same, a lot of state land, but have no info about that.

Used to live in southern VA, hunted some state lands there, but had 3 kids try sneaking in on me when I gobbled to try and locate one. That was enough of that, I packed up and headed out...

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    i heard hunting on public lands isn't very good. Most of what i hear is that they are over crowded all the time.

My buddy has taken a lot of long beards off public land, just stay away from anything with a parking lot or any kind of decent parking. This will generally keep you away from most idiots. Also the deeper you go the better off you are. Get good maps and try to get to a spot that would be a little harder to get to and wear hip waiters. The deer in my avatar came off Chesapeake forest land in Dorchester County, but it was because the Idiots drove him on my hunting property.

Jim

John2510

Feb 15, 2011
    Silver Spring, since 1973
    Seasonality?

This will be my first year trying turkey hunting.

I have some property in WV. I've heard them there, my wife has seen them, and a friend shot one.

This weekend I set up at dawn on two mornings for a couple of hours with a box call and a couple of decoys... just to see what I could attract.

Zip. Nada.

The season isn't open (I didn't have a gun with me). Is there a seasonality to attracting them... or was this just bad luck/bad skills? i.e., am I likely to have better luck in the later spring?

From what I've read, they're not migratory per se.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This will be my first year trying turkey hunting.

I have some property in WV. I've heard them there, my wife has seen them, and a friend shot one.

This weekend I set up at dawn on two mornings for a couple of hours with a box call and a couple of decoys... just to see what I could attract.

Zip. Nada.

The season isn't open (I didn't have a gun with me). Is there a seasonality to attracting them... or was this just bad luck/bad skills? i.e., am I likely to have better luck in the later spring?

From what I've read, they're not migratory per se.

They're not migratory but they do move due to the seasons, food and water availability.

You need to scout some before you hunt. You can call turkeys to you but they aren't going to travel great distances.

One way you can find turkeys by finding a roost tree. You can identify this by droppings underneath it. You can also wait until it's almost dark and use a "shock" call like an owl or crow call to get one to answer on the roost.

You can look for droppings and scrapings. A flock of Turkeys disturb a leaf covered area like nothing else.

If you're planning on hunting them, don't practice calling in the place you're planning to hunt. They will learn to identify your call. Practice elsewhere.

John2510

Feb 15, 2011
    Silver Spring, since 1973
    They're not migratory but they do move due to the seasons, food and water availability.

You need to scout some before you hunt. You can call turkeys to you but they aren't going to travel great distances.

One way you can find turkeys by finding a roost tree. You can identify this by droppings underneath it. You can also wait until it's almost dark and use a "shock" call like an owl or crow call to get one to answer on the roost.

You can look for droppings and scrapings. A flock of Turkeys disturb a leaf covered area like nothing else.

If you're planning on hunting them, don't practice calling in the place you're planning to hunt. They will learn to identify your call. Practice elsewhere.
    That all sounds like great advice, and hadn't read it elsewhere.

Thanks!!!

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    They are extremely sensitive to movement/motion, but not hardly at all to scent, with sound being between the two senses

150 yards or so is as far as you can expect them to travel to a good call. Remember when calling a Tom, you are expecting him to do the opposite of what nature has told him. He usually waits for the hen to come to him.

Terpnut

Apr 12, 2011
    Severna Park
    They are extremely sensitive to movement/motion, but not hardly at all to scent, with sound being between the two senses

150 yards or so is as far as you can expect them to travel to a good call. Remember when calling a Tom, you are expecting him to do the opposite of what nature has told him. He usually waits for the hen to come to him.

+1

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Im heading down the first Saturday of the season with a buddy to try our luck on a few of our properties in Dorchester. Like K31 said, scout. We are leaving town Friday afternoon to hopefully get a head start on finding the birds for Saturday. We are going to glass our fields from a distance, then move to logging roads, and if we have to we will try out some locator calls at dusk. If all of that fails and we don't as much as hear a cluck, we will set up in an area where we both have seen birds before. Our fingers are crossed, but we feel like we at least have a good game plan.

Terpnut

Apr 12, 2011
    Severna Park
    It all starts with a good game plan. I'm thinking of heading to one of the clubs farms next Friday morning. I will be flying blind but need to learn the land anyway.

We have about 60 acres of hardwoods and I'm thinking of trying to find an open area somewhere in there and hunker down.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I live in Caroline county and I've seen more birds this year than ever. No idea why.

Wherever you go...be careful. I don't turkey hunt anymore. I know of too many accidental shootings...especially public areas.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Im heading down the first Saturday of the season with a buddy to try our luck on a few of our properties in Dorchester. Like K31 said, scout. We are leaving town Friday afternoon to hopefully get a head start on finding the birds for Saturday. We are going to glass our fields from a distance, then move to logging roads, and if we have to we will try out some locator calls at dusk. If all of that fails and we don't as much as hear a cluck, we will set up in an area where we both have seen birds before. Our fingers are crossed, but we feel like we at least have a good game plan.

your youth hunting?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The Turkey out here in Garrett Co, have been strutting and gobbling for weeks! I see at least one flock every morning on the way out to work. Theres always a Tom all puffed out. Seen one give chase to another Tom yesterday. One of the best place to look for turkey , is on an edge of grass / crop field - near hardwoods. Most the times there roost areas arent too far.

Dorchester County does have some nice turkeys - I went on a muzzleloader hunt a few years back for Sika Deer - we were pretty close to Blackwater area. Seen some really nice longbearded Toms. I seen more Turkey then deer for sure. They are Garrett County transplants though. The DNR trapped, and transplanted them back when they were trying to establish a population, and its looks like they did a great job!

Good Luck to you this season!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom