• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I posted in the other thread about the two M1 Garands I recently got from the CMP. I got an HRA Service Grade after a six month backorder

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3466564&postcount=401

and I got an IHC Field Grade with LMR barrel,

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3472921&postcount=416

Here they are, the walnut stocked HRA above, and the birch stocked IHC below:

Anyway, I managed a quick run to the AGC range today, in defiance of the high winds, to find out whether or not they would go BANG!, or if I'd gotten totally ripped off.

Quick verdict: I think I'll keep them.

I think my results were skewed a bit by the new sight picture I'm trying. I seem to shoot a lot more 10s if I come up 2 clicks and hold a "Line of White", instead of a regular 6:00 hold. But I haven't got that down pat yet with my blurry vision, and I'm getting elevation variations.

First I tried the HRA at 100 yards, prone position with sling. Started at 10 clicks up and zero windage (sight centered). After a few high shots I came down two clicks, then one click left. I know I was getting inconsistent sight pictures, and I only shot an 89. I have no doubt that was mostly me, so I expect that will improve a lot with a bit more work.

By the way, I was shooting 1977 HXP, mixed lot ammo. And remember, this is not from a bench, or using a rest. It's prone, with a web sling for stability.

Switching to the IHC, I also started at 10 up, 0 wind. The Tractor gun shot 10" low! After a few rounds, I had that thing cranked up to 22 clicks up, still at zero wind. Oddly enough, that is the same elevation my Correct Grade Springfield needs: 22 clicks up with the Line of White, 20 or 21 with a 6:00 hold.

The photo shows the result: 93-2x which is okay by me for a quick trial of a new gun. (I turned the photo sideways: up is to the right.)

The left (lower) target shows my sighters: a long vertical string as I cranked the sight up. The center target is my 93-2x. Note the four high shots: I haven't got that Line of White sight picture down pat yet. Also note I put one round into the wrong target: the 9 at about 5:00 on the right hand (upper) target. Screw it: it counts. This ain't Camp Perry!

When I got the sight picture right, and shot at the right target, they just drilled into the 10 ring. I like it when that happens.

I know, I need to tighten up the windage, too. But I think this dog will hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_1634.jpg
      IMG_1634.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 264

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Nice. If the were mine I'd keep them. My orange garand needs 21-22 clicks for 100Y also. Don't know why. I originally thought something was messed up but I haven't been able to find anything wrong with it.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Ive heard of some needing 22 but damn thats a lot of clicks. All of mine are between 8-14 from the bottom.

Nice shooting!

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I've been using mil-comm T25 grease on the lubrication points, and it's conditioned the metal really nicely. Now even after an alcohol rub down it feels teflon smooth.

I know the stuff is expensive, but you're going to reduce wear on this piece of history, and keep things working 100%

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I've been using mil-comm T25 grease on the lubrication points, and it's conditioned the metal really nicely. Now even after an alcohol rub down it feels teflon smooth.

I know the stuff is expensive, but you're going to reduce wear on this piece of history, and keep things working 100%

Hmmm. I just did a little reading on that stuff, and it sounds impressive. I'll give it a try.

I've used Tetra Gun Grease, High Temperature Wheel Bearing Grease, and nowadays I'm using Lubriplate.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I think I can make it to the Vintage Match after all. My wife is going to re-re-schedule her medical test (she's having her head examined).

I'm thinking I'll bring the IHC.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=161451

Hope to see you there. I'll be shooting a 1943 Winchester Garand that is surprisingly accurate. The match is this coming Saturday at AGC's 200 yard range. Be there around 0830 to get prepared for a 0900 start. Turnout in October was pretty light so come on out and have some fun...it's all slow fire and even if you've never shot a match before, you'll have fun. There are plenty of guys ready to help anyone who is new to the shooting game.

Lew--Ranger63

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom