• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Call me Hef

C & R Junkie
    Oct 11, 2012
    North Point
    I bought this Type 53 from J & G a few weeks ago and wanted to share some pics.
    It's a very nice example and I was surprised to see all numbers match.
    It was not covered in cosmoline at all. As a matter of fact, it was clean and lightly oiled. I couldn't believe my luck lol.
    Bore is really nice and, dare I say, shiny?
    Stock was REAL dry, but in great shape. Cleaned it up a bit with Murpheys Oil Soap, then 2 rubdowns with BLO.
    One thing I really like about this one is that the bayonet has nice gold / copper colored residue from being shot right where it sits at the muzzle. So I can assume the bayonet is original to the gun?
    (For the detail oriented, the sling is a cheap repo!)
    Overall, I am extremely happy with this $99 rifle :)

Attachments

• Type 53.1.jpg
      Type 53.1.jpg
      108.3 KB · Views: 310
    • Type 53.2.jpg
      Type 53.2.jpg
      82.9 KB · Views: 301
    • Type 53.3.jpg
      Type 53.3.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 299
    • Type 53.4.jpg
      Type 53.4.jpg
      73.1 KB · Views: 297
    • Type 53.5.jpg
      Type 53.5.jpg
      34.9 KB · Views: 294
    • Type 53.6.jpg
      Type 53.6.jpg
      55.9 KB · Views: 297

Call me Hef

C & R Junkie
    Oct 11, 2012
    North Point
    Thanks guys, I'm really quite fond of this one. Shoots like a dream as well, I can consistently hit a paper plate at 100yds. Which is quite an accomplishment considering I can hardly see that far lol.
    Had it out at Elk Neck 2 weeks ago and got a few remarks on the grouping with iron sights from guys using scoped AR's lol.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Nice find; I recently picked up a Type 53, 1953 issue "trial character" from another member here. Considering the horror stories I have heard regarding the condition of stocks on these rifles as of late, I was pleased when I looked it over; dings, scratches, but nothing some steel wool and wood restore cleaner can't help.

I plan to take her out this weekend and see how she shoots!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Nice find; I recently picked up a Type 53, 1953 issue "trial character" from another member here. Considering the horror stories I have heard regarding the condition of stocks on these rifles as of late, I was pleased when I looked it over; dings, scratches, but nothing some steel wool and wood restore cleaner can't help.

I plan to take her out this weekend and see how she shoots!

That was a nice one. I inquired about that one but he declined my suggested meeting place and I didn't bother to counter.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    That bayonet looks like it's side mounted, I've never seen one like that. Is it just the camera angle fooling me?

Edit: Just googled "SKS with side mounted bayonet" and found that it was standard in certain years from certain manufacturers and countries. Learn something new every day...

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Hey Alpha; yeah, he was pretty fixed to his within reason. I have been trying to find the member who has an ad for a Turkish Mauser, chambered in 8MM, but he hasn't responded back.

Anyhow, not to get off topic; I am glad I did research on the Type 53. A lot of folks seem to have negative feedback about Chinese arms in general. I also have a Norinco SKS and was very pleased with it.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    That bayonet looks like it's side mounted, I've never seen one like that. Is it just the camera angle fooling me?

Edit: Just googled "SKS with side mounted bayonet" and found that it was standard in certain years from certain manufacturers and countries. Learn something new every day...
    Yeah, it is side-mounted and functions off a spring-loaded mechanism.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    chinese rifles are some of the best deals generally.

You have to realize that they're not going to put any care into stuff they're making to pawn off on rich westerners, but rifles they make for their own troops are going to be made with quality and care, lest the district overseer come on an inspection and literally ream them a new ******* with an actual ream.

Case in point, the MAK-90 and the polytech legend.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Jackpot! It's rare to get one of those with an excellent bore. I bought two of them not long ago. One looked like a sewer pipe (but had decent rifling under the crud). The other was amazing. I thought that I'd won the lottery. Looks like there were a couple of really nice ones in that batch!

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    chinese rifles are some of the best deals generally.

You have to realize that they're not going to put any care into stuff they're making to pawn off on rich westerners, but rifles they make for their own troops are going to be made with quality and care, lest the district overseer come on an inspection and literally ream them a new ******* with an actual ream.

Case in point, the MAK-90 and the polytech legend.
    Agreed; I think some people have a stigma regarding anything " Made in China" without considering the facts. From what I understand, the Chinese wanted to establish their military and sought viable arms tech from the Soviets. At the time, the SKS was a technology they didn't want to give up, yet anyhow lol.

Call me Hef

C & R Junkie
    Oct 11, 2012
    North Point
    Jackpot! It's rare to get one of those with an excellent bore. I bought two of them not long ago. One looked like a sewer pipe (but had decent rifling under the crud). The other was amazing. I thought that I'd won the lottery. Looks like there were a couple of really nice ones in that batch!

This is my second one, the first was from SOG a few months ago. That one wasn't too bad either considering all the stories I've heard about them. It was covered in cosmoline and has a much darker stock. Bore was dark in that one, but still very shootable. I gave that one to my brother for his birthday. He is hunting with it this weekend, he is happy :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom