• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Sig 556 is considered regulated as the Serial numbered part is the upper and is replaceable with a Sig 550/551 upper. Wish I was wrong but search it.

The regulated assault weapon list says these specific firearms. Is the SIG 556 specifically listed? The answer is no. Some dealers treat them as regulated, but some don't. Depends on the dealer. Search it.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I'm fairly certain you're going to have to stick with something non-regulated, but I'm not a lawyer, and regardless, it's still the least amount of headache for someone in your position. That said, what's your goal for the rifle? Want something that you can shoot a lot of, but still has enough punch for home defense?

The modularity of the AR system is great if you want to have a long-term project, but if you want to just shoot a lot, there are plenty of fun non-regulated rifles in that budget range. You could accessorize out a Kel-Tec SU-16 pretty readily; I believe Kel-Tec sells an AR stock adaptor and a quad-rail for it. Mini-14s are pretty cool (general consensus is to stick with the newer ones with the heavier barrel), but if the stock folds it's also regulated. I have an SKS that I really like, it's not regulated and you could probably buy three or four in your budget, and you can get ammo pretty cheaply. Vz-58s are pretty bad-ass (but I'd opt for a Czechpoint one if you can afford that over the Century ones).

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    You'll have to get an H-BAR(unregulated) as others said and keep it in that configuration until you are 21.

Your parents can buy you a regulated AR, they must fill out the paperwork. You must have an adult aged 21+ with you at the range to use it though. Once you're 21 they can transfer it to you through an FFL or MSP.

aalmy

Jun 29, 2011
    Maryland
    You'll have to get an H-BAR(unregulated) as others said and keep it in that configuration until you are 21.

Your parents can buy you a regulated AR, they must fill out the paperwork. You must have an adult aged 21+ with you at the range to use it though. Once you're 21 they can transfer it to you through an FFL or MSP.

Although I am only quoting WGreymon, I appreciate all the responses you guys have posted.

Now back to the quote; So if I take along anyone that is 21+ I can legally transport and shoot the rifle, correct? Or does it have to be the purchaser/registred owner of the rifle?

Thanks again for all the speedy responses, you guys check here more than I do thats for sure haha

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    He can't legally own a regulated firearm till he turns 21, so it would be straw purchase. He can't own a gun defined as an assault weapon, and have it registered to him.

In Md. that is correct. I was just responding to the family members buying for family members being a straw purchase. Not the under 21 = no regulated firearms angle. Sorry for my lack of clarity.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Although I am only quoting WGreymon, I appreciate all the responses you guys have posted.

Now back to the quote; So if I take along anyone that is 21+ I can legally transport and shoot the rifle, correct? Or does it have to be the purchaser/registred owner of the rifle?

Thanks again for all the speedy responses, you guys check here more than I do thats for sure haha

You may be able to find some break in the law that let's you do what you want but that doesn't mean it may not cost you a wad-o-cash to prove it to some over-zealous prosecutor/police officer.

Do yourself a favor and get a HBAR. Then when you turn 21..buy away.:party29:

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton

I meant your parents can buy a non-HBAR for you to use but you have to have an adult aged 21+ with you at all times when you're around it. Temporary transfers of regulated firearms is legal in Maryland assuming the person is aged 21+ and not prohibited from owning a regulated firearm in the state of Maryland. So have a close friend who is 21+ take you to the range when you need to.

Of course you could just get around this and get an H-BAR. Saves you money down the line since you'll already have a lower.

aalmy

Jun 29, 2011
    Maryland
    I meant your parents can buy a non-HBAR for you to use but you have to have an adult aged 21+ with you at all times when you're around it. Temporary transfers of regulated firearms is legal in Maryland assuming the person is aged 21+ and not prohibited from owning a regulated firearm in the state of Maryland. So have a close friend who is 21+ take you to the range when you need to.

Of course you could just get around this and get an H-BAR. Saves you money down the line since you'll already have a lower.

If i'm over 18(19) i shouldn't need my parents to buy me an HBAR? They aren't regulated in MD and I wouldn't need a 21+ to accompany me at the range because it would be legal for me to own, correct? I would only need a 21+ to come if i had a regulated AR like the stag i wanted, yes?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If i'm over 18(19) i shouldn't need my parents to buy me an HBAR? They aren't regulated in MD and I wouldn't need a 21+ to accompany me at the range because it would be legal for me to own, correct? I would only need a 21+ to come if i had a regulated AR like the stag i wanted, yes?

:thumbsup:

aalmy

Jun 29, 2011
    Maryland
    Ok Gents,

If I didn't go the option of having a 21+ babysit me at the range and I wanted to go the HBAR route...and still wanted to have a piston gun, what suggestions would you have? Around the $1000 mark, and under if the aren't piston, I can always do an Adams Arms conversion if need be.

URLs would be appreciated for the suggested rifles

Thanks again for all the replies guys

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Ok Gents,

If I didn't go the option of having a 21+ babysit me at the range and I wanted to go the HBAR route...and still wanted to have a piston gun, what suggestions would you have? Around the $1000 mark, and under if the aren't piston, I can always do an Adams Arms conversion if need be.

DPMS rifles are a good start, here's a DPMS HBAR at $763.44:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/61630-55.html

If you really want the piston just add it later.

I'm unsure whether or not Maryland laws requires the lower be marked with H-BAR on it. Some more knowledgeable AR guys will be here soon.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'm unsure whether or not Maryland laws requires the lower be marked with H-BAR on it. Some more knowledgeable AR guys will be here soon.

That is another topic of heated debate. Basically you will just have to ask around different dealers until you find one who is confortable doing the transfer - which should be legal since it is a copy of an unregulated firearm.

YMMV

BadShot25

Oct 9, 2008
    If he can't shoot a regulated rifle at a range without supervision because he's under 21, would they really allow him to shoot an HBAR AR-15 on his own? An unregulated HBAR looks just like a regulated AR.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Ok Gents,

You should really ask yourself why you want a piston gun....

FWIW, a piston gun is really not an AR-15, and thus should not be regulated. Others will disagree with this interpretation, but AR-15's are DI cycled weapons, not piston cycled. Unfortunately for you, the law enforcement officer who would arrest you for having a regulated weapon probably wouldn't understand the difference either.

Seriously, if you want a piston gun, get something else. Like a VZ-58.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    You should really ask yourself why you want a piston gun....

Seriously, if you want a piston gun, get something else. Like a VZ-58.

Exactly. If you want a piston driven gun, I would get something else. Something built from the ground up is going to be a better system. Remember you still have the same problem with a piston AR; it just gets transferred to a different part of the gun. All guns get dirty.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Wait until you're 21....problem solved. Buy something nonregulated in the meantime. If you buy a VZ58 (a Czech made one, not century which is potential garbage), by the time you're 21, you'll have forgotten all about that craptacular AR stuff anyways!

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    If he can't shoot a regulated rifle at a range without supervision because he's under 21, would they really allow him to shoot an HBAR AR-15 on his own? An unregulated HBAR looks just like a regulated AR.

The Maryland regulated firearms list specifically excludes the HBAR from being regulated. If he keeps it in that config while he's under 21 he'll be fine.

aalmy

Jun 29, 2011
    Maryland
    The Maryland regulated firearms list specifically excludes the HBAR from being regulated. If he keeps it in that config while he's under 21 he'll be fine.

Good to know.

Now I'm thinking of getting a Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit with a 16" barrel, Rock River Coyote Rifle in 16" or an Olympia Arms K16... Anyone had experience with any of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom