• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    So I was about to order the last couple things to get my Polish UF build going when I notice they sell this thing called a pistol grip reinforcement plate. A google search gave me answers from "it's only cosmetic" to "it keeps the receiver from bending when you tighten the grip screw" to "it prevents the grip from breaking loose when firing with the stock folded".

So whats the real deal with it? Do I actually need it or is it a waste of 10 bucks? Also whats the proper way to attach it?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Gonna do a lot of fa fire from the hip? If yes, get it. If no, it's not mandatory. Of course if you wamt a "more correct" clone, get it. Factory spot welds them on. I don't know the pattern though.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Most grip plates are significantly thicker than side rails... so if you don't have a hot spot welder you may have issues with a cold weld. On my S-12 receiver (already 50% thicker than normal) I didn't feel comfortable with the quality of the weld so I tack welded the rear. The front will also be held in place by the rear trigger guard rivet. They can be added to any AK receiver, fixed, folder, whatever.

My .02 is they are unnecessary unless you plan on launching a lot of grenades or slugs with no shoulder support. The original intent of them was to avoid bending the receiver around the pistol grip nut hole when jumping with the stock folded (or possibly sustained shooting from the hip). It is a correct feature for an underfolder, so I would opt to add one, but later folders don't always have them. Tula produces the sidefolding AKS-U and stopped adding them decades ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom