• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    This guy did a test on five of the leading base-layer gear offerings out there. It's not exactly scientific, but I think it's pretty interesting. The MD Pride Under Armour guys will be disappointed.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Awesome thanks for sharing. Can confirm my old school long underwear lets my feet turn to ice cubes. Was thinking about getting First Lite, looks like a good choice.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Awesome thanks for sharing. Can confirm my old school long underwear lets my feet turn to ice cubes. Was thinking about getting First Lite, looks like a good choice.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Silk sock liners - sedentary
    Wool sock liners - semi-sedentary
    Polypropylene sock liners - active
    Cotton sock liners - really active

If you sweat change out your sock liners.

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick
    Despite some of my personal feelings about First Lite ownership as well as it being made in China I use First Lite base layer gear. I have used Under Armor Cold Gear as well as a few other options and can confirm through experience that First Lite is superior. I got my teenage son who hunts with me a lot the Cabela's ECW and he is pleased with it.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Can confirm my old school long underwear lets my feet turn to ice cubes.

I bought the absolute cheapest pair of heated insoles on amazon this year for hunting season. $12 shipped and they plug into a usb battery pack. I extended the wiring harness to be able to keep the battery in my pocket. My feet were warm the whole time, It was amazing.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    This guy did a test on five of the leading base-layer gear offerings out there. It's not exactly scientific, but I think it's pretty interesting. The MD Pride Under Armour guys will be disappointed.

UAs hot weather gear sucks. Their cold weather stuff is OK but expensive.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have tried every base layer known to man. From the uber expensive Smart Wool stuff all the way down to walmart level.

I have found the REI Co-Op brand to be the best combination of warm, moisture wicking, and long term durability as related to cost. It's all I get these days and I wear it several times per week during the winter.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    The Walmart Athletech type stuff is polyester--Underarmour is polyester--Walmart stuff is about $6-10-- Underarmour crap and all the other high priced REI and Northface etc is many times that $6---none of it is magic but a couple layers of the Walmart brand works about as well as any---then go to Goodwill and get a WOOL sweater to put over it. Smartwool socks are actually pretty good. I bought a bunch of polypropylene base layer stuff when it first came out many years ago--worked ok but hard to get clean---the polyester stuff from Walmart is far more forgiving-it all wicks the same--thin fleecy leggings from the ladies department are are the best long underwear bargain out there---wait til they go on sale after Christmas and load up on the ugly ones--nobody sees them anyway

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The Walmart Athletech type stuff is polyester--Underarmour is polyester--Walmart stuff is about $6-10-- Underarmour crap and all the other high priced REI and Northface etc is many times that $6---none of it is magic but a couple layers of the Walmart brand works about as well as any---then go to Goodwill and get a WOOL sweater to put over it. Smartwool socks are actually pretty good. I bought a bunch of polypropylene base layer stuff when it first came out many years ago--worked ok but hard to get clean---the polyester stuff from Walmart is far more forgiving-it all wicks the same--thin fleecy leggings from the ladies department are are the best long underwear bargain out there---wait til they go on sale after Christmas and load up on the ugly ones--nobody sees them anyway

Even if it was the same material (and if you check labels, they aren’t necessarily), there are differences in weave, thickness and treatments often times. Yeah, sure, just out an extra layer on. But that isn’t always practical.

That said I am usually hitting the inexpensive Walmart, Cabela’s/redhead and midway brands for stuff.

Very happy with browning and Carhartt socks though.

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    Opinions are going to vary. I spent a lot of years using Wal Mart and Redhead gear with some being better than others. I hunt a lot and it was neither durable nor that warm. I guess if you pack enough layers maybe but that isn't always practical. The gear I wear now is thinner, warmer, and easier to be layered but that comes at a cost. It is worth the cost to me, but for a lot of people it wont be.

Someone above mentioned REI Co-Op gear. I agree it is pretty good but I would not trade my First Lite base layers for anything I have worn over the last 30+ years hunting, just my opinion of course. It works for me and the way I like to layer.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    I still remember my first hunting trip with under Armour cold gear.... I about froze to death. Went back to Columbia and grundens.. thier boots were uncomfortable and cold also.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Opinions are going to vary. I spent a lot of years using Wal Mart and Redhead gear with some being better than others. I hunt a lot and it was neither durable nor that warm. I guess if you pack enough layers maybe but that isn't always practical. The gear I wear now is thinner, warmer, and easier to be layered but that comes at a cost. It is worth the cost to me, but for a lot of people it wont be.

Someone above mentioned REI Co-Op gear. I agree it is pretty good but I would not trade my First Lite base layers for anything I have worn over the last 30+ years hunting, just my opinion of course. It works for me and the way I like to layer.

Sitka or Kuiu?

For the past 3 years, when my wife asks for bday or Christmas gift suggestions, my standard answer is "anything Kuiu". I steer her toward sales as she likes to shop early.

I prefer their synthetic over their wool.

RockyTheDog

Sep 5, 2011
    Baselayers

I've used these skiing and alpine climbing. They're all good. Smartwool has some warm items but for me they're not durable enough and wear out too quickly. I'm currently using Patagonia capilene bottoms and Icebreaker tops down to -40f. Merino top because polyester starts to stink after a few days and takes about three days soaking in oxyclean before it stops. Poly bottoms because bottoms don't pick up sweat funk like tops do and because they're cheaper.

Brynje https://www.brynjeusa.com/product-category/arctic-collection/

Icebreaker https://www.icebreaker.com/en-us/mens-baselayers

Arcteryx https://arcteryx.com/us/en/c/mens/base-layer

Patagonia https://www.patagonia.com/shop/mens-baselayers

Rab https://rab.equipment/us/mens/all-mens-clothing?rab_live_us_products[query]=baselayer

Mammut https://www.mammut.com/us/en/category/5829-10/base-layer

Fjallraven https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us/men/tops/base-layer-tops

Black Diamond https://www.blackdiamondequipment.c...=Men's Apparel&sub_category=Base Layer&page=1

Outdoor Research https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-base-layers

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    What ever happened to Damart? I remember years ago it was what many NFL players wore before they were paid to endorse a certain brand.

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    Sitka or Kuiu?

For the past 3 years, when my wife asks for bday or Christmas gift suggestions, my standard answer is "anything Kuiu". I steer her toward sales as she likes to shop early.

I prefer their synthetic over their wool.

I have a good bit of Sitka gear but still prefer First Lite for base layers. A lot of the gear I have was purchased on sale or some kind of discount. Kuiu is great gear as well. The main reason I opted for Sitka was I hit multiple Cabelas/Basspro and Sportsman Warehouse stores visiting one of my kids at college so I accumulated a lot of gear on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom