• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I was looking for a lightweight 20 gauge slug rifle for hunting this winter. I had a .22 to trade and Bud's Gun Shop was selling/trading for a Rossi Matched Pair, 22 cal/20 gauge. Before making the deal, I called Rossi and asked if the 20 gauge was rifled. I was told that it was. After running 15 rounds through the 20 gauge barrel, it became pretty clear it was a smooth bore. Now I'm stuck with a nearly new matched pair that doesn't meet my needs. Rossi is refusing to work with me on this and it's not Bud's fault. Does anyone have any suggestions?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I am pretty sure you can get a rifled barrel for it. The matched pairs are a youth model rifle /shotgun with a modified choke safe for rifled/smoothbore slugs. Should be OK to 50 yds or so but sights would be a good idea.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Unfortunately, Rossi doesn't make a rifled 20 gauge for this frame. I just bought a barrel mount with 4 Weaver rails. I also bought a red/green dot sight. I think that will help. I also bought Rackmaster slugs that claim they work well in smoothbore guns. Of course, the most important thing is practice, practice, practice.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, NFA says no rifles over 50 caliber. 20 gauge is .615

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    If you were honestly told it was rifled, call back and bark up the chain of command until you get to the president of Rossi if you have to. Don't BS them though...

This will probably only work if you have the name of who you talked to and the time of the call. You may be able to get refunded the purchase price if you send the gun back. Make sure you get an RMA.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Rossi. Bud's didn't go anything wrong. In fact, I'd high recommend doing business with them on trades. I spoke with people at three levels up at Rossi without any success. I decided to get slugs designed for a smoothbore and I added a red-dot sight to increase my accuracy and compensate for any drift from the lack of rifling.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Sounds to me like someone didn't specify very clearly. My 20 gauge slug gun is a Rossi and it is a deadly accurate rifled barrel. Did you state the model number before you ordered ? To my knowledge the Slug Gun doesn't come in a matched pair package...

I do swear by my little slug gun, BUT, I would buy local because the damned things require paperwork. I can't even buy the Muzzleloader version out of state because it requires an FFL. Sucks.

If it helps, I bought mine about 4 years ago, from Fred's Sports in Waldorf, Md for $169.00

Rossi 20 Ga Slug Gun

S201230S.jpg

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I did give the number. That's why I'm really upset over this. It turns out that they don't have a rifled 20 gauge for that line anyway. I think between the red-dot site and rounds that are made for smoothbores, I'll be OK to about 75 meters. I'm going to test that theory long before hunting season. I'd rather not hunt than would an animal that is going to suffer a lingering painful death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom