• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    I know the Universal M1s are not the most accurate, but they are cheap to buy. And that they are differant from other carbines. What parts are not interchangable?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Depends when, I have an early universal milled single recoil spring etc etc that is essentially the same as my GI carbines. Key differences include:

Receiver width, just a hair bigger in most places
    Rifling is a different type (probably why they are a little less accurate I know this thing hasnt had more than 500 rounds through it and it gauges a 1.5 which tells me it was probably "looser" to begin width. Oh and it is a little less reliable on marginal ammo (aguila and wolf) but not to bad it may just need to loos'n in a little more compared to GI guns that probably have seen 10,000 to 50,000 rds already.

That said it is a good gun and I shoot with it more frequently compared to my war babies. Probably would not buy another given that you can get decent GI M1s for around $500 to $600 if you look at the shows. (I have two more M1 projects coming up another paratrooper clone and a standard stock shooter I am going to slap a chrome lined barrel on)

Newer ones with stamped components are junk imho.

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    Im getting it from a coworker. Will be a few more weeks Im getting a Mk 1-2 from him first. As soon as I get it Ill get with you on the sn and proof marks.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Biggest thing is the charging handle stamped or cast/milled. While there were other differences between years the step from cast to stamped was the real downward move.

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    My moms bf has one that is stamped. He is pleased with it but being a south paw said he needs a helmet for the flying brass. He caute a couple on the noggen. I dont have that problem Im a righty.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I have an M1 Universal I would be willing to sell parts for. It's in good shape, the wood stock, barrel, and all the removable parts inside the receiver.

If anyone is interested let me know via pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom