• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    Thought I'd post this here for everyone to follow along with, and maybe get some insight from the more experienced folks on here...

I bought a new Glock 43x MOS recently, intending to use it for concealed carry. My 55 year old eyes don't see iron sights very well without using a peep-site sticker attached to my shooting glasses. Doubt I'd be able to put on my shooting glasses while concealed carrying so I looked for an optic to put on the pistol -- a first for me. I've used red dots on long guns with no problems. I got a green dot Swampfox Sentinel -- it's a direct fit to the Glock with no adapter plate needed, and I can co-witness the iron sites if need be.

Had the sight on the pistol for 3 days before I ever shot it. Around the house I practiced frequently bringing the gun up and finding the dot. It worked great and I got pretty good at finding the dot right away. The first tine I actually shot the gun the dot it went from a nice round dot to a fuzzy dot after exactly 5 rounds. It looked like a green Q-tip. I unloaded the gun and I cleaned the glass, the little spot the light comes from, looked through it with both eyes (I have astigmatism in my shooting eye), no good. Still the fuzzy Q-tip dot. I inserted the mag and racked the slide and the dot went back to normal. Great. 10-15 rounds later and fuzzy dot is back. Fire the gun and its back to normal. Has anyone experienced something similar?

I called Swampfox, and the tech guy says it's my eyes. I asked him why the dot returns to normal when I fire the gun or rack the slide. He says the blast from the recoil has an effect on my eyes. He really said this. So now not only can 9mm blow out your lungs, it can fix your eyesight.

The tech on the phone said if I sent the sight back and it was fine they would charge me to look at it. I emailed Swampfox later and told them my story. They agreed I should send it back...I'll let y'all know what transpires.

Last edited:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Do you have someone else who can confirm that they observe the same issue as you? The older I get the more eye fatigue I get shooting through a scope eventually the reticle becomes fuzzy. It doesn’t sound like that’s your issue, but another shooter could rule that out quickly.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Maybe your TLR-7 falling off repeatedly (per your other thread) is effecting the green dot, or they’re related issues? You may want to meet up with a gunsmith or an experienced pistol instructor or expert to help you sort out your equipment. No offense but you having two weird and unusual problems at the exact same time is, well.....unusual.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    Maybe your TLR-7 falling off repeatedly (per your other thread) is effecting the green dot, or they’re related issues? You may want to meet up with a gunsmith or an experienced pistol instructor or expert to help you sort out your equipment. No offense but you having two weird and unusual problems at the exact same time is, well.....unusual.
    Yes, it kind of pisses me off. The pistol, sight, and optic are all brand new. Maybe it's better to do just one at a time. Nobody was at the range the same time I was, so I only have my eyes to go by. That light was on damned tight today, but it still came off in the end...

I don't think the two are related...though the pistol optic and pistol light are new to me. We'll see what transpires.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Having astigmatism issues(triple image most of the time) with my dominant eye, I have found that using a red dot can be tricky. The vision in that eye will sometimes blur while I am shooting to the point that I have to stop. Looking down range for a few seconds before viewing the dot will help some. I line up the three dots I see with the three targets. When a dot is on each target, I shoot.
    Took me quite a while to figure this out and improve my accuracy using a reflex. Green dot is much easier to pick up and use.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    Having astigmatism issues(triple image most of the time) with my dominant eye, I have found that using a red dot can be tricky. The vision in that eye will sometimes blur while I am shooting to the point that I have to stop. Looking down range for a few seconds before viewing the dot will help some. I line up the three dots I see with the three targets. When a dot is on each target, I shoot.
    Took me quite a while to figure this out and improve my accuracy using a reflex. Green dot is much easier to pick up and use.
    I’ve not had any issues with the red dots on my long guns. I got the green dot on this pistol because I’d read that green was better than red for astigmatism

I really think it’s the optic. Especially since it looked the same in my non- astigmatism eye.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not really sure where this is heading... maybe I need to find your other thread?

I don't like the 'sound' of Swampfox telling you the problem is you. That is NOT good customer service. They should be giving you a free return shipping lable(whether you bought directly from them or not) and take a look at your optic. I have a Sentinel on my G48 carry. I had my slide milled just for that sight and it has been flawless. They, at least, owe you a look at your sight before they start blaming you.

Let us know what happens...

owldo

Ultimate Member
    Thought I'd post this here for everyone to follow along with, and maybe get some insight from the more experienced folks on here...

I bought a new Glock 43x MOS recently, intending to use it for concealed carry. My 55 year old eyes don't see iron sights very well without using a peep-site sticker attached to my shooting glasses. Doubt I'd be able to put on my shooting glasses while concealed carrying so I looked for an optic to put on the pistol -- a first for me. I've used red dots on long guns with no problems. I got a green dot Swampfox Sentinel -- it's a direct fit to the Glock with no adapter plate needed, and I can co-witness the iron sites if need be.

Had the sight on the pistol for 3 days before I ever shot it. Around the house I practiced frequently bringing the gun up and finding the dot. It worked great and I got pretty good at finding the dot right away. The first tine I actually shot the gun the dot it went from a nice round dot to a fuzzy dot after exactly 5 rounds. It looked like a green Q-tip. I unloaded the gun and I cleaned the glass, the little spot the light comes from, looked through it with both eyes (I have astigmatism in my shooting eye), no good. Still the fuzzy Q-tip dot. I inserted the mag and racked the slide and the dot went back to normal. Great. 10-15 rounds later and fuzzy dot is back. Fire the gun and its back to normal. Has anyone experienced something similar?

I called Swampfox, and the tech guy says it's my eyes. I asked him why the dot returns to normal when I fire the gun or rack the slide. He says the blast from the recoil has an effect on my eyes. He really said this. So now not only can 9mm blow out your lungs, it can fix your eyesight.

The tech on the phone said if I sent the sight back and it was fine they would charge me to look at it. I emailed Swampfox later and told them my story. They agreed I should send it back...I'll let y'all know what transpires.
    Can't you let someone else try it (shoot with it first) before you send it back to make sure ?

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Take a picture of the dot when it’s fuzzy. I have an astigmatism and the dot is always fuzzy. If I take a picture of it, the dot is perfectly round. Pretty simple to see if it’s your eyes or prove to them it’s their dot.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    Take a picture of the dot when it’s fuzzy. I have an astigmatism and the dot is always fuzzy. If I take a picture of it, the dot is perfectly round. Pretty simple to see if it’s your eyes or prove to them it’s their dot.
    I’d read about this trick. For the life of me I couldn’t get it to focus on the dot.

Plus, my red dot on my long gun looks fine.

Last edited:

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    Just got an email from Swampfox. My Sentinel was defective and they are sending me a new one. No mention of what caused the problem. Good on Swampfox.

As an aside, I bought a Streamlight light and a Swampfox optic for my new G 43x MOS. Both were defective. I hope I’m just unlucky and these products are actually high quality. At least the pistol is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom