• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I have a new Gen 5 Glock 20 with about 500 rounds through it. It runs Blazer brass and PMC Bronze Hunting ammo (super hot load) like a Swiss watch. One handed, limp wristed, no problem.

If I put “premium” self defense ammo in it (Federal HST or Sig Elite Defense) it absolutely chokes. Every 4-5 rounds it fails to feed as pictured. It does this in all my mags. Do G20’s not like this supposedly good ammo, or is there something else going on?

On an aside, definitely check your intended carry ammo!

Attachments

• 30D4314F-9409-4C8D-8CC1-10B56AACF0E5.jpeg
      30D4314F-9409-4C8D-8CC1-10B56AACF0E5.jpeg
      173.4 KB · Views: 172
    • 34E6AF18-397B-411A-8B16-E2678CE412CA.jpeg
      34E6AF18-397B-411A-8B16-E2678CE412CA.jpeg
      198.3 KB · Views: 169
    • CA53D6A1-78EE-4668-A5EE-413E5E175D8E.jpeg
      CA53D6A1-78EE-4668-A5EE-413E5E175D8E.jpeg
      358.6 KB · Views: 164
    Last edited:
    Mine is a gen 3 and it's never met a round that it didn't like. Cheap Target ammo all the way to the Buffalo bore heavies and everything in between. I've never fired the sig defense ammo but the HST runs fine. Even all of my hand loads run perfect through it. Now I do run a 6-in lone wolf barrel in mine because I use mine for hunting deer. I've only shot a couple of boxes of the PMC range ammo through the original barrel but never had an issue with that either.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Mine is a gen 3 and it's never met a round that it didn't like. Cheap Target ammo all the way to the Buffalo bore heavies and everything in between. I've never fired the sig defense ammo but the HST runs fine. Even all of my hand loads run perfect through it. Now I do run a 6-in lone wolf barrel in mine because I use mine for hunting deer. I've only shot a couple of boxes of the PMC range ammo through the original barrel but never had an issue with that either.
    I concur, mine runs a stock length Lone Wolf barrel and eats everything, as far as I can remember the stock barrel ate everything too. Changed to aftermarket barrel for my lead pills.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    One other thing I noticed is the HST and the Sig ammo did not seem very hot. I shoot HST in a lot of other calibers and you can tell it's a hotter round. The 10mm HST seems to be no hotter than range ammo with FMJ bullets. I don't have a chrono so I can't tell for sure, I'm just going by the recoil and report. Now that PMC Bronze you can feel in your chest and it throws a fireball like a 44 mag...it also runs the gun perfectly.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    One other thing I noticed is the HST and the Sig ammo did not seem very hot. I shoot HST in a lot of other calibers and you can tell it's a hotter round. The 10mm HST seems to be no hotter than range ammo with FMJ bullets. I don't have a chrono so I can't tell for sure, I'm just going by the recoil and report. Now that PMC Bronze you can feel in your chest and it throws a fireball like a 44 mag...it also runs the gun perfectly.
    You may be on to something with that. I just had some issues with a 10mm (not a glock) short cycling and hanging up during feed and it was the garbage ammo (remington). 180s, when chronod, were barely doing 1018 avg. For comparison, the same gun spits out 180 handloads at 1120-1160, temp depending. It's a short barrel. The same load does 1200-1220 in my friends delta elite. 8.5gr 800x and a montana gold 180.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I saw one youtube video that tested the Federal 200 HST ammo. Out of a 4.5" EAA Witness it averaged about 1050 FPS. That doesn't seem very fast for 10mm.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Looks like short stroking, probably light ammo, heavy optic, little lube, new gun, stiff mag spring dragging the slide. Leave mags fully loaded and slide locked open for a day or two, lube it, and try again. 10mm has a huge range of pressures and power, the gen 4-5 recoil spring is a lot stiffer than the earlier single spring gens.

Looks like short stroking, probably light ammo, heavy optic, little lube, new gun, stiff mag spring dragging the slide. Leave mags fully loaded and slide locked open for a day or two, lube it, and try again. 10mm has a huge range of pressures and power, the gen 4-5 recoil spring is a lot stiffer than the earlier single spring gens.
    Yes and you can buy stronger and weaker springs. Buffalo bore has a pretty good couple of paragraphs on their web page regarding swapping springs on 10 mm platforms to enhance performance of your firearm with their heavier loads. Which also works in reverse. If you're using lighter loads you don't want a heavier spring.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yes and you can buy stronger and weaker springs. Buffalo bore has a pretty good couple of paragraphs on their web page regarding swapping springs on 10 mm platforms to enhance performance of your firearm with their heavier loads. Which also works in reverse. If you're using lighter loads you don't want a heavier spring.
    I have a gen 3 G20 also, use ISMI flat springs and captured rod, the 20# works well for most things, from about 400-700fpe. Have the stock 17# and a 22#, but haven't really needed to change for most of the 10mm I load for it.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Don't ask me how many glocks I own because I don't know but have never had a issue with ANY type of ammo. Sorry for your loss!

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    HST and Sig ammo are hollow points, as is the PMC ammo. Don’t think it’s a ramp feed issue.
    When shooting with the ammo that causes hangups, have a friend nearby and have them snap a picture of the action area during a hangup (without clearing it) and post the pic. Also, is there any chance that the magazine and magazine catch relationship is such that the magazine is sitting low in the frame? It's odd to see/hear of a Glock that is not feeding. It would be good to see the problem first hand. Pics of the rounds you're using (not the boxes, a side view of the actual rounds, side by side, so we can see the differences in the profiles.)

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    The pics in my original post show the hangup from 3 different views.
    When shooting with the ammo that causes hangups, have a friend nearby and have them snap a picture of the action area during a hangup (without clearing it) and post the pic. Also, is there any chance that the magazine and magazine catch relationship is such that the magazine is sitting low in the frame? It's odd to see/hear of a Glock that is not feeding. It would be good to see the problem first hand. Pics of the rounds you're using (not the boxes, a side view of the actual rounds, side by side, so we can see the differences in the profiles.)
    My original post has 3 pics of the hangup from different angles. All hangups are identical.

Attached here are pics of the PMC on the left and Sig on the right. I shot all my other ammo up. Also is a pic of a mag inserted fully. All mags look the same when inserted. Note that the Gen 5 has a flared magwell so it will appear differently than previous generations.

Attachments

• 5C70933C-9C7E-4F71-BC4F-F7ABE4F2673D.jpeg
      5C70933C-9C7E-4F71-BC4F-F7ABE4F2673D.jpeg
      430.8 KB · Views: 70
    • C2AD87DF-D29C-4B47-85B3-28BF80D4D216.jpeg
      C2AD87DF-D29C-4B47-85B3-28BF80D4D216.jpeg
      188.3 KB · Views: 94

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members