• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    For sure. Based on the cost though…

I’d kind of just like something in 6.8x51 with something approaching those pressures. I do wonder if you could safely handload and reload those two part Sig cases?

Something like a 20” heavy barrel Howa 1500 in 6.8x51 sounds hot. If you could push a 140gr .277 bullet to around 3200fps from a 20” barrel or maybe a 147-154gr at around 3000fps I’d maybe think of that over a 300wsm. Heck, even if that took a 22 or 24” barrel.
    Personally I really am excited about this round . . . For a short barrel suppressed hunting rifle (or pistol depending on how braces shake out), or at least a 13.7”-14.5” p/w. Or maybe just do a p/w with a suppressor at 11-12”. Hard to say what reloaders will be getting out of this cartridge/wildcats based on it once they figure out the technology, should be pretty cool.

Still glad I don’t have to lug this crap around. Will be curious to see what the troops who have to actually carry a combat load on a daily basis have to say.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If what I read was true think of the 6.8 x 51 Hybrid round sort of like the construction of the M203 round. Where the steel base sets the initial charge to ignite the powder in the brass part. As to reloading not experienced enough to say but it being a 3 piece case that may cause some issues, the steal base attaches to a lock washer which holds what looks a separate case with the full powder charge,

6.8x51_diagram_png.webp
    Only superficially. The M203 is a high low cartridge with two chambers. A high pressure charge in the base sets off the low pressure charge in another chamber further up. That’s on top of a primer. This 6.8x51 is traditionally primed and charged. It’s just that the base where less support exists in any chamber uses steel, so it can be thinner.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They will be using training rounds which will not be to the 80K PSI spec. So accuracy will change a little bit when they get the hard kicking stuff in a dust up.
    I think that’s part of the reason they are going with the optic they are. It’s easily adjustable. Accuracy may not change, just POI.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I think that’s part of the reason they are going with the optic they are. It’s easily adjustable. Accuracy may not change, just POI.
    That and the fact the optic is linkable but I guess once it actually makes it to production we will know more. But supposedly a squad would be able to designate targets and everyone with the optic will see it in theirs. Sounds nice but it will be interesting to see how it works in real time and after being thrown around a couple hundred times.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Only superficially. The M203 is a high low cartridge with two chambers. A high pressure charge in the base sets off the low pressure charge in another chamber further up. That’s on top of a primer. This 6.8x51 is traditionally primed and charged. It’s just that the base where less support exists in any chamber uses steel, so it can be thinner.
    Kind of yes but not what the picture shows.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That washer is like the retainer used on the ends of automotive inner CV tripods and joints. Much more precise. I imagine the push, pull of the firing events in the chamber could cause some reloading durabilty concerns on that area of the cartridge after a number of firings. On the sportsman end of things I see just using the brass case as always with attendent lower peak pressures.

Has there been mention of any powder developments for this round?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    That washer is like the retainer used on the ends of automotive inner CV tripods and joints. Much more precise. I imagine the push, pull of the firing events in the chamber could cause some reloading durabilty concerns on that area of the cartridge after a number of firings. On the sportsman end of things I see just using the brass case as always with attendent lower peak pressures.

Has there been mention of any powder developments for this round?

The lower pressure rounds are all brass at least so far from what I have seen with the early reviews of the rifle by youtubers. I would expect the powder to be of the common variety

Sirex