• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Not sure where to start this write-up. Guess it begins in September 1963 when S&W sold one of their new Model 41s to the US Navy. Somewhere along the way Donald Lee Poorboy took possession of it. He was a member of the US Navy Rifle and Pistol Team and of the Navy Small Arms Training Unit. Here's a passage from Mr Poorboy's obituary in the Coeur d'Alene Tribune news paper ...
    -Donald Lee Poorboy, 85 of Hayden died Monday evening February 20, 2017. Don was born in Coffeyville, Kansas on October 10, 1931 the child of Ernest King and Audrey (Love) Poorboy. Don was raised in Oklahoma and entered military service at the age of 16. He was a member of the Cherokee Nation. He served in the U.S. Navy for 22 years and retired at the Pt. Mugu Naval Air Station in California. While in the service, Don served in the Korean and Vietnam wars. Don also was a member of the U.S. Navy Rifle and Pistol team and was part of the Small Arms Training Unit. Don achieved the U.S. Navy Distinguished Marksmanship Medal in both rifle and pistol. At the time he was only the 13th person to achieve that distinction. Because of his continued interest in marksmanship he served as a manager of the U.S. International Shooting Team and ultimately as a Range Manager in the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. Don also served as President of the Coeur d'Alene Skeet and Gun Club.
    -
    It's been tweaked with custom grips, foregrip checkering, Bomar target sight and has the 7 3/8" (190mm) length barrel. Taking the barrel off the frame I found the text "SATU" stamped on the bottom. Proof it was part of the Small Arms Training Unit. Also, there's a navy anchor stamped next to the SN on the frame. I have an email from Roy Jinks, the S&W historian, documenting that it was indeed sold to the Navy.
    -She's been around the block a bit, showing some finish wear, but still in very good condition. Wish I could crow about finding it in a barn and paying a crazy cheap price but not this time. The collector I got the USMC High Standard S-101 from reached out to me and offered it for sale. We came to a price that was fair for both of us but it certainly wasn't my typical Mawkie Price™. But the chance to add a piece of US military markmanship history to the collection was impossible to say no to.

Attachments

• IMGP0282.JPG
      IMGP0282.JPG
      280.7 KB · Views: 70
    • IMGP0286.JPG
      IMGP0286.JPG
      304.9 KB · Views: 67
    • IMGP0287.JPG
      IMGP0287.JPG
      410.8 KB · Views: 62
    • IMGP0288.JPG
      IMGP0288.JPG
      235.6 KB · Views: 63
    • IMGP0289.JPG
      IMGP0289.JPG
      309.5 KB · Views: 57
    • IMGP0290.JPG
      IMGP0290.JPG
      128.1 KB · Views: 60
    • IMGP0291.JPG
      IMGP0291.JPG
      215.4 KB · Views: 66
    Last edited:
    Jul 1, 2012
    That's one cool Model 41, and quite rare. Nice history to it, and no doubt that it is what it's purported to be.
    A very nice foundation piece for your .22 military pistols!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Several friends and I have model 41's. Any model 41 is nice. This one is extra nice!

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Excellent Mawkie! That is the kind of 41 I would like to have, but I think this one probably out of my price range.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thanks for all the kind words! I came to the S&W 41 late in life, was always a Colt and High Standard fan. But better late than never.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Thats one very nice gun. Its hard to refuse a model 41. Congratulations on a fine gun Sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom