• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    A while back when ammo was difficult to come by I posted an appeal to buy some .30-06 for a friend who literally hunts to put food on his table year round.

Same friend asked me what I thought about black powder rifles and what they generally go for used. We figured an inline would be best for him since it could be scoped etc. Very much like a centerfire but would allow him to expand in to blackpowder season.

So if I wanted to find a used inline what brands are best and which are junk? I can inspect a firearm for condition that's no issue but I've never messed with one of these. What should I expect to pay?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Inspect the bore if you buy used, some people will not clean them up well.Yes, you can get a bargain for scoped ones.
    pop the breech open, pull the breech plug and point it up at the light to inspect. Check the muzzle end too.
    Inlines can be simple and rugged.
    While the breech plug is out, see if its clean and also hold up to light to see that the hole allows light to pass.
    I Can only speak to the ones I've shot (100 yards or less), CVA Wolf, Optima, Traditions

I've always used a stainless barrel one myself.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I think all of the makers offer budget friendly models, so a new one of those would be my suggestion. Additionally if he doesn’t do archery that would be my first choice. Crossbows require the least time to become proficient. Muzzleloader adds about a month of extra days to hunt while archery adds months. September-January.
    Bow/crossbow manufacturers offer cheaper starter models.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Thompson is good, cva also

Traditions is in the crowd too.

No one can go really wrong with a pick from any of the 3.

The decision comes down to ease of cleaning, looking for something with a removable breech plug will help make the decision.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I own 3 different Traditions, 2 inline. Some people just don’t like them not sure why. I have never had an issue with them .2 are scoped .For the money they are a quality rifle.im hitting 200 yds with my one that I have .150 pyrodex and a 245 power belt. i bought my son a traditions from Walmart years back and like I said never an issue and the price was right .

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Picked him up a used CVA Wolf at Saint Firearms in Essex. I've never handled one before, nicely built muzzleloader. Might propel me in to it next season. Would open up better hunting weather that's for sure

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Inspect the bore if you buy used, some people will not clean them up well.Yes, you can get a bargain for scoped ones.
    pop the breech open, pull the breech plug and point it up at the light to inspect. Check the muzzle end too.
    Inlines can be simple and rugged.
    While the breech plug is out, see if its clean and also hold up to light to see that the hole allows light to pass.
    I Can only speak to the ones I've shot (100 yards or less), CVA Wolf, Optima, Traditions

I've always used a stainless barrel one myself.

Just getting the breech plug out can tell you a thing or 2. If you need a pipe wrench and 4 foot cheater bar...

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Picked him up a used CVA Wolf at Saint Firearms in Essex. I've never handled one before, nicely built muzzleloader. Might propel me in to it next season. Would open up better hunting weather that's for sure

Does it have the integral scope mount?
    The removable breech plugs allow cleaning to be much easier. Remember to lube the threads. Mine shoots dead nuts on for sure.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Does it have the integral scope mount?
    The removable breech plugs allow cleaning to be much easier. Remember to lube the threads. Mine shoots dead nuts on for sure.

Don't have it in hand to check if it was integrated.

Someone bought it, never shot it, then traded it in.

Attachments

• 20220209_175657.jpg
      20220209_175657.jpg
      105.5 KB · Views: 111

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You should really like that, I just bought the CVA Accura in 50 and 45 for my daughter. Going to be trying them out as soon as it get a bit warmer. The CVA guy said you could use Windex to clean it if you didn't want the special cleaners. That breech plug looks to make cleaning so simple. It came shot and I just pluggered it out with cleaning solution.

I used the lead REAL in 50 lubed with deer fat and BW and bought a 45 200 grain mold for my daughters gun. Put felt wads under them and will have to shoot a bunch of 777 varying loads to see which one works best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom