• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DealeBill

Nov 22, 2021
    Was given this from a friend. It was mixed in with a batch of used brass. I am debating whether to use this or not. May run some quick tests to help that decision.
    Thoughts??

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpg
      IMG_2246.jpg
      278.9 KB · Views: 60

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    If its dry and doesnt have a strong ammonia smell I would use it. Worst case load 3 rounds up and fire. Check for a squib each time before firing the next round.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The can on the right doesn't even count as " old " .

Give the other the visual and sniff test . If it passes those , load identical loads with each can's powder , and chrono back to back , to see if within the usual lot to lot variations .

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Does the donor know if the powder in the cans is the one on the label?

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I have a "cylinder" of Unique from the 70s with the little twist-n-pull pour spout that works perfectly. The old Hercules formula was filthy, but it worked fantastic.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Maybe I’m extra cautious, but I won’t use an opened powder from someone else, because they could’ve put a different powder in there.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Maybe I’m extra cautious, but I won’t use an opened powder from someone else, because they could’ve put a different powder in there.
    While possible, id think that would be stupid. But doing stupid things isnt impossible.

If for some reason they did...you'd think they would mark it as such. Usually powder isnt something I'd be swapping containers, since every powder has different load characteristics and burn rate.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

Give the other the visual and sniff test . If it passes those , load identical loads with each can's powder , and chrono back to back , to see if within the usual lot to lot variations .
    ^^^ This
    Old metal cans like the one on the right nah..not old, still have some Winchester 630, 748
    lots of IMR's n metal cans, H110, 335, 322, 2400, "The Dots", BE, etc in cardboard canisters, even
    WC-844, WC-846 in "bleach jugs", old 4895, 8208 from the "days" that TCCI sold surplus stuff.
    all still go bang.

"sniff test", "eye test", any "rust" on the cans, deterioration of the containers.
    powder generally lasts a long time under the proper conditions.
    If they are unsealed, I'd be concerned if the contents matched the labels.
    If you decide not to use the powder, dump it out, makes good fertilizer, keep
    the containers or draw a line with it and touch it off with a match...

Wish I would of kept all of my ole cans, canisters, and kegs.....oh well..

-Rock

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    While possible, id think that would be stupid. But doing stupid things isnt impossible.

If for some reason they did...you'd think they would mark it as such. Usually powder isnt something I'd be swapping containers, since every powder has different load characteristics and burn rate.
    So long as whomever was alive and could tell me its the right powder in there, good enough. Maybe I wouldn't accept powder from an enemy or disgruntled neighbor, or the dude whose wife I was banging.

Now handloads, I'd only shoot from someone I trusted a lot. So many ways to accidentally screw that up. Powder in a container? You'd have to be doing something deliberately dumb or malicious, especially to not remember you swapped what powder was in there, or were trying to "mix your own blend".

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

And what if you don't have a chrono? ;)

It was only in Dad's last years reloading that he had a chronograph - he had one of the old ones you had to shoot through.

I don't yet have one - I'm thinking about saving my pennies and investing in a Lab Radar chrono - those seem to do pretty well and they seem to be simpler than many other options.

Getting back to the subject of the powder, as long as they pass the smell and color test, they're fine. Powder has a long shelf life if it's kept in a dry and temperature-controlled environment, and even then it doesn't have to be perfectly temperature controlled. Dad's reloading area was the garage attached to the breezeway of our house. In the winter he had a gas stove that he'd keep on low and crank up when it got really cold, but it got hot in there in the summers. He never seemed to have issues with powder going bad.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And what if you don't have a chrono? ;)

It was only in Dad's last years reloading that he had a chronograph - he had one of the old ones you had to shoot through.

I don't yet have one - I'm thinking about saving my pennies and investing in a Lab Radar chrono - those seem to do pretty well and they seem to be simpler than many other options.

Starting at under $99 , there is no reason to not have one . They are too important not to .

Even the cheapest is more than accurate enough , and consistent with themselves .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Starting at under $99 , there is no reason to not have one . They are too important not to .

Even the cheapest is more than accurate enough , and consistent with themselves .
    I don't disagree - I'm not sure how I'd make use of the cheap Caldwell at AGC though, which is the main reason I have yet to invest in one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Worst case , write each velocity reading down on notepad , crunch numbers with scientific calculator .

For less than $50 more , get one with remote control , either wired or bluetooth .

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Over abundance of caution on my side, but unless I know for certain how it was stored, and what's exactly in the containers - I'm not going to risk it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Over abundance of caution on my side, but unless I know for certain how it was stored, and what's exactly in the containers - I'm not going to risk it.
    What’s to risk? It’s IMR 3031 - the formulation has been unchanged since 1934. Unless the powder has an off smell or color, it’s good and will function just as it did when it was put in those cans.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    What’s to risk? It’s IMR 3031 - the formulation has been unchanged since 1934. Unless the powder has an off smell or color, it’s good and will function just as it did when it was put in those cans.
    That's info I just learned, regarding IMR 3031.

Again, for me, it may just be an abundance of caution - but when it's involving a controlled explosion close to my face, I'm going to err on the side of caution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom