• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm reading through the USPSA rule book about holsters, and I'm a bit confused. One section states that holsters need to be attached to the shooters belt, which I'm fine with. However, another section says that the butt of the handgun needs to be over the belt. So how do people with drop/offset holsters shoot USPSA? Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    That's a Single Stack division rule, I believe.

EDIT: Nope, SS division is the front strap has to be above the belt. I run a Blade-tech DOH and the butt of the grip comes up to the belt just fine.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Depending on what division you shooting.

Production.. Max offset is 2" last I recall. (Still legal).

Read rule 5.2.5

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    5.2.5/the 2" rule are a reference to offset not drop, per my understanding. See Appendix E2: http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb 2014 Handgun Rules.pdf
    Edited.. Lol
    The 5.2.7.2 is what the op questioned.

specified the butt of the gun being same as top of belt. (Production)

Most of the guns are above the belt anyways.. Drop of 2" still pass the rules.

I have been shooting comptac offset holster on FBI can't.. Still plenty space to clear the belt.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What I use.. ;)
    See their note:

Competition Guidelines:**
    IDPA: Drop-Offset Legal for female shooters. Not Legal for male shooters.*
    USPSA: Drop-Offset not legal for Men in the Single Stack Division

Great. I'll be shooting Limited after I get the holster. I use a CZ-75 or GP-100 for IDPA, I have IDPA legal gear for them. This is almost the last piece of the competition puzzle, I just need to fix my cowboy guns and add a couple of holsters for my C&B revolvers.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Great. I'll be shooting Limited after I get the holster. I use a CZ-75 or GP-100 for IDPA, I have IDPA legal gear for them. This is almost the last piece of the competition puzzle, I just need to fix my cowboy guns and add a couple of holsters for my C&B revolvers.
    :thumbsup:

I have one holster for the Glock. I switch them out..

I use the paddle attachment for idpa on reg belt.

uspsa the drop/offset attachment on double alpha comp belt. :)

Only 3 screws to remove to switch over.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    :thumbsup:

I have one holster for the Glock. I switch them out..

I use the paddle attachment for idpa on reg belt.

uspsa the drop/offset attachment on double alpha comp belt. :)

Only 3 screws to remove to switch over.

I'm using my P16-40 Limited as my 3-gun and USPSA pistol. Having the extra attachments is nice, but I don't really need them since I use the other pistols for other disciplines :D

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    If I am not mistaken in USPSA Limited you can use race holsters but not in any of the lower divisions like SS, Prod or Ltd-10 (not sure about this one).
    For 3-gun you generally want a holster with positive retention due to the fact you might be on the ground or in some other awkward position and you don't want the gun to fall out and get a DQ. That does not mean you need to have one with a manual release but it at least should have positive retention built into it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If I am not mistaken in USPSA Limited you can use race holsters but not in any of the lower divisions like SS, Prod or Ltd-10 (not sure about this one).
    For 3-gun you generally want a holster with positive retention due to the fact you might be on the ground or in some other awkward position and you don't want the gun to fall out and get a DQ. That does not mean you need to have one with a manual release but it at least should have positive retention built into it.

That first part was confusing, which is why I asked. The guy running the Quantico USPSA match is getting fussy about legal gear, so I figured someone here would know what was legal or not.

My 3-gun rig is a Blackhawk! Serpa holster in a thigh rig. In the 10 matches I've used it in, I've not had a problem with the gun popping out in awkward situations. I've used it at Black Creek, Cavalier, and Peacemaker. I really miss the weirdness of Black Creek, Joe was a sadist when it came to match designs :lol2:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm going to try to get into the Quantico USPSA match this Sunday. It's easier for me since it's about a 20 minute drive from my house.

ETA I just got an email back from the match director. Thigh rigs are a no-go in USPSA pistol matches. Per the MD, too much of an advantage for drop rigs.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Southern Maryland Practical Shooters holds matches on the 2nd Sunday of the month. We are in St. Mary's county. Our website is www.somdpracticalshooters.com. We have links to our match sign up and lots of other info there. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks, but that's a two hour drive each way for me. At least according to my cube farm neighbor who lives in Lexington Park. I'll take a look, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom