• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Never seen a BB shoot her 16 inch guns BUT I did see a Heavy Cruiser shoot it's 9 8 inch guns for a President Nixon dog and pony show. She was awesome. :thumbsup:

This one had a turret blow up on Yankee Station one night, we took her dead and wounded aboard. :sad20:

USS%20Newport%20News.jpg

Centurion

May 3, 2009
    Crofton
    Had the privilege to serve on Cape and take her on her maiden deployment. The finest warship i ever served on. Her motto "Always Victorious". Great to see her still at sea.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Saw the Iowa shoot a couple broadsides in 87 in the med. We were probably two miles away and you could feel it in your chest. It was an "exercise" called display determination. We too 2 carrier battlegroups, the Iowa battle group and an ARG inside Lybia's line of death.

jayc0968

Cpl, U.S.M.C. 87-92
    Sep 22, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    Being a fleet jarhead, never got aboard a gunship. However, while a Marine Security Guard in Oman in '90, I had the opportunity to fly out to the Carl Vinson (CVN70) with some embassy folks, (in the Gulf of Oman at that time) make an arrested landing, tour the boat, watch flight ops from the bridge (launch and recovery), and take a cat shot off- what a rush!! I still have the photos I took that day. An incredibly neat experience!
    And to all you squids here who lived on those ships- my hat's off to ya! A walk through the living quarters of the Vinson gave me even more respect for my cramped room at the Marine House. Cheers! :beer:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Never seen a BB shoot her 16 inch guns BUT I did see a Heavy Cruiser shoot it's 9 8 inch guns for a President Nixon dog and pony show. She was awesome. :thumbsup:

This one had a turret blow up on Yankee Station one night, we took her dead and wounded aboard. :sad20:

USS%20Newport%20News.jpg
    That is CA-148, the Des Moines class heavy cruiser USS Newport News. Laid down in 1945, launched in 1948, decommissioned in 1975, and scrapped in 1993.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom