• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    OK - Received my permit a few weeks ago; Next week, my wife and I will be traveling in VA, and I am wondering if the Non Resident Utah Permit that we both have its recognized in VA at this time. I know that the VA law will change on July 1 2016, and the Utah non res will be accepted at that time. But is it still accepted currently? Or maybe I am confused? I have been looking around at several sites, starting with Utahs BCI site, as well as USACarry, etc. and I just wanted get some clarification from anyone here before we head down to VA.

Thanks in advance for any clarification y'all can offer

Last edited:

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

About a year ago I emailed VSP asking if they recognize non-resident licenses from Utah and Florida.

This was the reply -

The answer to your question is "yes."

See: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

Donna K. Tate, Manager
    Firearms Transaction Center
    Department of State Police

Post Office Box 85608 / Richmond, Virginia 23285-5608 / Tel: 804-674-2210 / Fax: 804-674-2791
    The information in this email and any attachments may be confidential and privileged. Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient (or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this information to the intended recipient) please notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete this email and any copies from your computer and/or storage system. The sender does not authorize the use, distribution, disclosure or reproduction of this email (or any part of its contents) by anyone other than the intended recipient(s). No representation is made that this email and any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• vsp.JPG
      vsp.JPG
      94.4 KB · Views: 257

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Thanks guy for helping me get clarification I greatly appreciate it. My wife and will be traveling with the ability to protect ourselves next week, while exercising our rights. :thumbsup:

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    If you have an iphone. This app (CCW) is available through iTunes store for $1.99. Its well worth it and will display a map that shows where you can carry based on what permits you have. It constantly updates to stay on top of any law changes.

CCW – Concealed Carry 50 State Guide on the App Store

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ccw-concealed-carry-50-state/id443321291?mt=8

Rating: 5 - ‎35 reviews - ‎$1.99 - ‎iOSMar 16, 2016 - This application is about empowering the CCW (concealed or open carry permit) holder (or anyone who wishes to lawfully transport a firearm in ...

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    If you have an iphone. This app (CCW) is available through iTunes store for $1.99. Its well worth it and will display a map that shows where you can carry based on what permits you have. It constantly updates to stay on top of any law changes.

Rating: 5 - ‎35 reviews - ‎$1.99 - ‎iOSMar 16, 2016 - This application is about empowering the CCW (concealed or open carry permit) holder (or anyone who wishes to lawfully transport a firearm in ...

I don't have an iphone...but an android....im gonna look to see if something similar is available. That seems really handy

Brianczaw

Oct 7, 2015
    Harford County, MD

PRetty sweet ap!

Brianczaw

Oct 7, 2015
    Harford County, MD
    major reasons

1. Compliance with GFSZA
    2. VA cops may not be familiar with reciprocity agreements.

I apologize for being a newbie to the CCW world. But what does the Gunfreeschoolzone act have to do with CCW. If I have a valid permit, I have a valid permit right????? Although I do understand about #2.....

Brianczaw

Oct 7, 2015
    Harford County, MD
    nevermind I see why. I found this: Thanks!!

"Although the Federal GFSZA does provide an exception for an individual licensed to carry a firearm, this exception only applies in the State that physically issued the permit.[1][2][3][7][13][16] Nearly all fifty States have provisions to issue concealed carry permits to citizens.[17] Most of these States also enter into reciprocity agreements with other States where each State agrees to recognize the other's concealed carry permits.[17] Because the Federal GFSZA requires the permit be issued by the State which the school zone is in,[1][2][3] it is difficult for a permit holder to travel outside their State of issuance to a reciprocating State without violating the Federal GFSZA.[1][3][7]["

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not exactly. To be within 1000 feet of a school with a CCW you must have a permit issued by the jurisdiction the school is located in While it's a Federal law and is seldom charged without other charges, if you want to be legal under all laws, a VA permit makes you legal.

An opinion letter and the GFSZA attached..

Attachments

• GFSA ATF letter.pdf
      843.7 KB · Views: 96
    • GFSZA.pdf
      933.2 KB · Views: 103

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88