• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UNCLE WAWA

May 16, 2005
    FREDNECK,MD
    Just got my VA. ccw package in the mail. as far as proof of instruction does any one know what is acceptable ? i have a bunch of old classes i can submit
    from like 1990 is that too old what can i get fast and cheep to go with my application ??

on a side note it's kind of funny :D that the application is one page while the md application is about 8 pages :sad20:

uncle wawa

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    There is no time limit listed in the CCW requirements so as long as the classes meet the requirements (such as an NRA Basic Pistol), it's good. If you have concerns, call the Virginia State Police on the number they provide. They're pretty good about answering questions.

Matt

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    mail is okay for Virginia too

FL allows mail applications, VA wants you to do it in person.

Virginia accepts applications by mail from non-residents. In fact, I think they provide a pre-addressed envelope for that purpose. I recommend certified mail, return receipt requested, which costs less than $4.00.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Do it the MDShooters way - Get BOTH!

If you had to pick ONE, I would go with FL due to the sheer number of states that honor it.

BUT

FYI: In the PAFOA.org (PA Firearms Owners' Association) forum, there was a major discussion after the PA AG's office emailed someone and said that the PA State Police do not believe that FL non-resident permits are valid in PA, but do believe that the VA non-resident ones were valid in PA.

A lot of people on the PAFOA forum went back and forth about the language of the actual reciprocity agreements, contacted the Florida AG officials to get their understanding, etc., and the consensus was that the VA and FL reciprocity agreements were identical in spirit, but not exactly identical in black-letter text on some minute point. This point was enough wiggle room to allow the PSP to claim to "reasonably interpret" things they way they supposedly, even though they appeared to be plainly wrong in the full context of the whole reciprocity agreement.

The better-safe-than-sorry approach advocated by a PA lawyer on the board was to carry both PA and FL permits when in PA as a way to belt-and-suspender your rights. You would probably beat the rap, but not the ride, etc.

ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    Do it the MDShooters way - Get BOTH!

+1
    I did!

Side note: Are we living in the stupidest state possible.
    :banghead: We are surrounded by carry states, but we do not allow CCW. So we all go out of state to get them. (and pay for them out of state). We are all surrounded by state with slots and all the Marylanders that want slot go out of state ( again taking their money with them) And they wonder why we have a deficit. ]
    :wtf:

RnRFreak

Forum Cartoon Character
    Mar 3, 2007
    Overlea
    +1
    I did!

Side note: Are we living in the stupidest state possible.
    :banghead: We are surrounded by carry states, but we do not allow CCW. So we all go out of state to get them. (and pay for them out of state). We are all surrounded by state with slots and all the Marylanders that want slot go out of state ( again taking their money with them) And they wonder why we have a deficit. ]
    :wtf:

Well O'Malley will find new taxes to take care of that!

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I just emailed both states for applications. How long does it usually take for me to recieve them and does anybody know the fees for each state?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom