• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I’m going camping this weekend at Pohick Bay Regional Park in Lorton. I’m wondering what type of blade is kosher to carry, open and or concealed. I have a Va non resident carry permit if that gives me any leeway. I’d like to bring my Benchmade Nimravus fixed blade but have dozens of others to choose from. Thanks in advance.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I don't believe VA has restrictions on fixed-blade carry. That said, I pay zero attention to these laws and carry whatever I want - so I'm not much help.

ETA: I know first responders are allowed to carry automatic knives, and I don't think you can conceal "Bowie Knives."

Last edited:

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I don't believe VA has restrictions on fixed-blade carry. That said, I pay zero attention to these laws and carry whatever I want - so I'm not much help.
    Thanks. From what I have read its similar to Maryland, open carry fixed blade ok, concealed no bueno. In Md however you can with a carry permit. I’d be wearing on my belt. ie, open during the day but putting a coat on at night might constitute concealed.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I have never been concerned with Virginia state knife laws ever since I have moved here.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/virginia/

appears that folders including autos(thanks kniferights) are fine concealed, fixed blades can be openly carried

Good to see the 2022 and 2023 changes .

Prior to that the issue was " of Like Kind " , and not yet established standards . i.e. was a " Tactical - ish " folder a " fighting knife " or a " utility knife " , or is that large ish sheath knife a utility/ hunting/ camp cooking knife , or a Fighting knife .

I hadn't realized until later , but one time in the day , a VSP Trooper tried to trip me up with " is that a Bowie Knife ? "

Unknowingly, I gave the right answer " I dunno what it's called . I was using it to cut brush on my property . "

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Good to see the 2022 and 2023 changes .

Prior to that the issue was " of Like Kind " , and not yet established standards . i.e. was a " Tactical - ish " folder a " fighting knife " or a " utility knife " , or is that large ish sheath knife a utility/ hunting/ camp cooking knife , or a Fighting knife .

I hadn't realized until later , but one time in the day , a VSP Trooper tried to trip me up with " is that a Bowie Knife ? "

Unknowingly, I gave the right answer " I dunno what it's called . I was using it to cut brush on my property . "
    Yes, lots of BS with knife laws, in PA up till it was repealed, you could have an auto provided it was for a "dramatic performance". I joined kniferights when they started pushing PA to repeal the switchblade ban. They managed to end most knife restrictions in a single law and get it signed into law by the Democrat Governor. Really awesome organization.

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    Richlands, North Carolina
    A permit to carry a knife? You have to be kidding. Just carry a pitch-fork Can be used as a walking stick, a hotdog cooker over the fire, a spear, a back scratcher, a fishing pole or fish spear or as a last resort a defensive weapon.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Knife laws????
    I remember being 13-14 years old,, Brother was 14-15,, Dad would drop us off on Friday somewhere in Jefferson or Washington National forest,, and pick us up Sunday night.
    All us kids had Bowie Knifes strapped when we were on those adventures,, you know, for bears and such

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom