• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • waffle king

You serious Clark?
    Feb 7, 2013
    SoMD
    Anyone heard of vac sealing ammo using inexpensive food vac sealer? Any benefits to doing this for long term ammo shortage?

HTArms

May 9, 2013
    Waynesboro, PA
    Yes, I have used a food vacuum sealer for both ammo and firearms that I planned to store for long periods of time. I also added desiccant packets in the boxes just to be safe. Not really sure how much it helps, but really don't think it can hurt either.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    While I don't think the vacuum would be strong enough to loosen primers or bullets due to an in balance in pressure, I don't see any benefit to it.

Regular ammo cans are water tight.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    People shoot mil-surp ammo from post WWII that was not vacuum sealed and it is fine. I don't think you will hurt anything if you seal it, but I see no advantage.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Anyone heard of vac sealing ammo using inexpensive food vac sealer? Any benefits to doing this for long term ammo shortage?

Are you planning to bury it?

If so, you can seal it in mylar with a desiccant pack for moisture resistance. Put it in a 5 gal. bucket.

If that's your intent... :innocent0

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I've used my food sealer (with the long roll bags) to vacuum pack long guns... I'm running out of room in my safe, so I take the ones I don't use and vacuum pack them with a little oil, then I put them in a locked metal bin in the basement. The purpose for me is to keep the guns from rusting or scratching.

jbollman

MDCreeper
    Jul 9, 2009
    I do it, but more to make easy to grab bags, than thinking it is helping long term. I still use a few disecent bags in each can.

Zip locks would work just fine, but i dont have to worry about the vacum sealed bags opening before I want them too. Only real downside is no resealable at the range.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    I've used my food sealer (with the long roll bags) to vacuum pack long guns... I'm running out of room in my safe, so I take the ones I don't use and vacuum pack them with a little oil, then I put them in a locked metal bin in the basement. The purpose for me is to keep the guns from rusting or scratching.
    Not a bad idea. My gun safe is almost full and I don't have room for another.....yet.

aemik

Jan 4, 2013
    Baltimore
    For what it's worth, unscented silica 'crystal' cat litter is just a very affordable way of buying bulk dehydrated silica, a fantastic dessicant. I've used that stuff to seal away all sorts of things with great results - I'll throw some silica in a sock, tie it off, then put it in a "space bag" with whatever I'm storing and then pull a little vacuum on it with a shopvac. It's almost strange to put your camping gear up and then pull it out a few months later and have it not smell even slightly of mildew or dampness.

Suffice it to say this stuff is in all my ammo cans and an open-topped jar of this sits in my safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom