• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    So I'm looking at a SHT 22 IV, BSA manufacture. Looks to be all original metal, but it's sitting in an aftermarket Monte Carlo poly stock. All original wood is gone.

I've got a DP rifle with good wood.... I'm thinking of using the wood from the DP to restore the .22, but of course, it's not an original stock, stampings would never match, it would look better, but I doubt it would help value much.

What do you think the rifle itself would be worth? I think the guy is a little high, but I don't know a lot about the .22 trainers. Thought some of you here could illuminate me.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    I agree, ask Mawkie.

https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-enfield.html

Samco has them for almost $600 in excellent condition. So dependent on what the seller wants for it, it may or may not be a good candidate for restoration

Yup, and SOG has them for $350.... just a slightly different flavor then Samco. Mawkie knows the ins and outs of them.

If you don't want to PM him, post pics and I'm sure you will get feedback from the forum.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    OMG, I'd never run across an Enfield trainer Bubba'd before! The obvious question is "What's the asking price?". When you allude to it being on the high side then my instinct is to say run away. It's going to be a project and you don't want to start off deep in a hole money wise when you could find a nice, correct example at or near the same price.
    Value of a No2 MKIV in VG condition these days is in the $400-500 range, up a bit in the last 2-3 years. If all you want is a shooter and can get it from Bubba for $250 or less then I might be tempted to say go for it. I only hesitate because your replacement furniture will be plastered with DP marks at the least. A correct, non DP furniture set would set you back around $150-200 as it's gotten hard to find and so many of us are looking to undo Bubba's handiwork.
    Let me know what you decide. If you need any assistance I"m happy to pitch in (short of buying it for you :) ). Feel free to PM me any time. If I know anything at all it's Enfield trainers!

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Thanks for the reply. I am probably going to pass. Your comments mirror my assumptions. He's looking for $350, but I figure for that price, I could buy an original for less by the time I restore that one. It's a shame, the metal really does appear to be in nice condition. It has the NZ stampings, which I assume mean it went to New Zealand. Really an interesting piece, but not $350 interesting to me. I may offer him $250 and see if he'll take it, but I'm pretty sure he will not. I've bought some C&R stuff from this FFL before and I know that he doesn't mark up by much, so my gut is he already has to much in it.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Thanks for the reply. I am probably going to pass. Your comments mirror my assumptions. He's looking for $350, but I figure for that price, I could buy an original for less by the time I restore that one. It's a shame, the metal really does appear to be in nice condition. It has the NZ stampings, which I assume mean it went to New Zealand. Really an interesting piece, but not $350 interesting to me. I may offer him $250 and see if he'll take it, but I'm pretty sure he will not. I've bought some C&R stuff from this FFL before and I know that he doesn't mark up by much, so my gut is he already has to much in it.

Too bad, but I think you are making the right call. To put the correct furniture on it would push the cost likely over what it is worth IMO unless it is something really special.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    NZ marked trainers do seem to fetch a bit more but not a significant amount.
    Trainers come to market often enough that finding the right one at the right price isn't insurmountable. Just takes a bit of patience and perseverance. And compared to German trainers they're very affordable.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    OMG, I'd never run across an Enfield trainer Bubba'd before!

I remember many years ago there was an article in a national gun magazine where a guy re-chambered one for the 22 Jet. D&T'd it for a scope and had a cheap varmint gun.

This was in the 60's when Enfields sold mail order sets of 4 (#1, #4, #5, and a .22 trainer) for $99!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom