• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I was wondering peoples' thoughts on the Vang Comp shotgun services. I saw this on another site, and James Reeves of TFB had their Maverick 88 sent out to Vang Comp for their service. I believe they lengthen the forcing cone and port the barrel. They have 4 services, 2 VCS barrel mods, one with porting, one without. Then one specifically for people using flite control. My home defense round in my shotgun IS the Federal LE low recoil w/flite control. I shoot it sometimes, but the majority of the stuff I shoot thru it at the range is cheaper 00 buckshot, like Wolf, Noble, Sterling and some Black Aces. So, if I got the Flite Control would it negatively affect the regular stuff I shoot for range training? Or if I got the regular, would it affect the Federal w/Flite Control negatively? Anyone had it done? Worth it?

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I’ve never thought about it, but they have a good reputation. I silver soldered one of their front sights onto a Carlson’s barrel.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I would call them and ask. Chances are, Hans Vang will answer the phone himself. Go to the source.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I would go with the regular. I shoot everything through mine including flight control, and I haven’t noticed any shift in POI due to the Vang Comp work.
    IMG_0501.jpeg

jet307

May 19, 2021
    Urbana, MD
    They make good stuff. I have their oversized safety on a 590a1 and a shockwave but I don't think you need a separate Gucci barrel. Of course, just my 2 cents.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I have two Vang comped 870 bbls, one ported and one not.

Thing of it is, Hans did nothing to mark my bbls as being Vang comped so the porting is the only thing that keeps that bbl from getting mixed in with more than a dozen other 18” and 18-1/2” bbs (I had to use a pen style engraver to mark the non-ported bbl for same reason :-/

I wish I hadn’t gotten the porting as if I use that bbl in competition it typically pushes me into “open” division which someplace you don’t want to be competing with a pump!

Now, as far as “effectiveness,” I have witnesses who have covered all EIGHT pellet holes in the center of the old B-27 silhouette target with their hands - fingers outstretched - when the Federal 8-pellet load was fired through the Vang Comp bbls - FROM 15 yards.

The increased performance out of the Vang comped bbls ranges anywhere from “whoa” to “No fvcking way!” depending upon the ammo …

If you ever get down Hickory NC way I will be glad to demo either or both bbls for anyone with their ammo who gives me a couple days advance notice …

As mentioned up thread, Hans is entirely likely to answer the phone himself, he is a class act but does not tarry on the phone unnecessarily …

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    As I mentioned, I’d skip the porting. The first bbl I got from Hans was via a certificate I won in a competition and he gave wide latitude as far as what he‘d throw in on the deal which included him supplying the bbl.

The second non-ported bbl I had him comp was one of my own that I sent him after relatively quickly realizing the porting wasn’t such a great idea, for me and my uses …

I’m pretty much of the opinion porting offers nothing of any real or practical advantageous consequence in most firearms but especially not on shotguns.

Last edited:

Sirex