• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Probably more wishful thinking on my part, but we now have a Pro 2A Speaker of the House with Mike Johnson, so all we would need would be for the house to pass legislation that makes it illegal for any federal or state legislature to draft, submit, and pass any legislation that is anti-constitutional, whether knowingly or unknowingly. Just like they hold us to the "Ignorance of the Law is no Excuse" standard, we should be able to hold them to that same standard.
    You apparently haven't read the Constitution lately. It would take quite a bit more than a simple bill to do so, it would take a Constitutional Amendment, at the federal level for those in DC and at the State level for those in Annapolis.

They either knew, or "should have known" that the legislation they were proposing was flying in the face of the constitution. Give em' jail penalties if they violate the constitution and hold them accountable, and this crap will be taken care of real quick. They keep doing this over and over because they're never held accountable and there's no penalties that they need to worry about. Of course, we'd still need to get approval from the Senate and the Resident. But even if they veto the bill, the point would be made, they would be put on notice, and the first shot will have been fired.
    Again, it would take a Constitutional Amendment.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    It's been discusseed before but at some point, something really needs to be done to politicians who author and pass these draconian bills knowing full well they will fail in the courts. But because the legal appeals process takes so long, they do it with impunity. And as soon as it's struck down. they will repeat the process (with slight variations) to continue to drag it out in the courts, to be paid for, of course, by the taxpayers. People like Raskin can sit back and continue playing computer chess while continuing to deny citizens their constitutional rights. Pie in the sky dreaming, I know...

The ballot box is the solution. Getting the ballot box to be effective requires work on your, the citizens, part.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I haven't bought a handgun since the HQL went into effect but I could now be persuaded just as a giant fvck you.
    I simply switched over to buying AR lowers and grew my AR collection(to include AR pistols) instead. I figured it was hilarious that their making it inconvenient to buy handguns means more ARs in my safe.

I did end up getting the hql along with the W&C permit because it was just a couple extra clicks.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    It's been discusseed before but at some point, something really needs to be done to politicians who author and pass these draconian bills knowing full well they will fail in the courts. But because the legal appeals process takes so long, they do it with impunity. And as soon as it's struck down. they will repeat the process (with slight variations) to continue to drag it out in the courts, to be paid for, of course, by the taxpayers. People like Raskin can sit back and continue playing computer chess while continuing to deny citizens their constitutional rights. Pie in the sky dreaming, I know...
    This is where we go back to court for fees and damages. MSI should sue for fees since the law was found unconstitutional

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    You apparently haven't read the Constitution lately. It would take quite a bit more than a simple bill to do so, it would take a Constitutional Amendment, at the federal level for those in DC and at the State level for those in Annapolis.

Again, it would take a Constitutional Amendment.

It was more of wishful thinking and venting on my part, a shot across the bow, at least to make a point and get a vote on the record, so voters could see if their representatives are really pro constitution, or just blowing smoke. Politicians say all kinds of things, make all kinds of promises, but when you force them to go on the record by having to actually cast a vote, that's the point where we get to find out what they really think. It may not hold any water, but I'd sure like to see them try to get a bill passed to shake things up a bit.

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Can my wife sue the Maryland State police for fees associated with taking a course that was approved and required for her HQL?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I haven't even gotten to use the damn thing yet and they're trying to take it away. At least mine was free.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Anyone else notice that the judge literally used a footnote #9 to ruin the footnote #9 arguement in Bruen by the other judge?
    Screenshot_20231121_231315_OneDrive.jpg

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Probably more wishful thinking on my part, but we now have a Pro 2A Speaker of the House with Mike Johnson, so all we would need would be for the house to pass legislation that makes it illegal for any federal or state legislature to draft, submit, and pass any legislation that is anti-constitutional, whether knowingly or unknowingly. Just like they hold us to the "Ignorance of the Law is no Excuse" standard, we should be able to hold them to that same standard.

They either knew, or "should have known" that the legislation they were proposing was flying in the face of the constitution. Give em' jail penalties if they violate the constitution and hold them accountable, and this crap will be taken care of real quick. They keep doing this over and over because they're never held accountable and there's no penalties that they need to worry about. Of course, we'd still need to get approval from the Senate and the Resident. But even if they veto the bill, the point would be made, they would be put on notice, and the first shot will have been fired.

Lol, and you think no that would make Democrats think twice or somehow behave better? Besides, it would never pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I'm always proud of my wife, but even more so tonight in light of today's ruling.

My wife is one of the HQL plaintiffs. At issue during her deposition was would she be prosecuted if she used one of my handguns to defend herself should someone break into our house while I was not there? Is that an illegal transfer?

The Assistant State Attorney for MD showed her an opinion letter from the MD Chief of Police stating that a spouse would not be charged in those situations. He then asked her if she still felt she might be charged?

Knowing that an opinion is just that, an opinion with no force of law, and that the law is what it says it is and not what anyone else's opinions are on the matter, she answered "Yes!"

At that point the attorney representing MSI et al (Cary Hansel) spoke up and asked the ASA if he would "stipulate" that she would not be charged. "Noooo" he answered, waving his hands in defense.

And thus our side has, on the record, The Crown refusing to stipulate that spouses would not be charged for the "crime" of self defense, in the home, without individually possessing an HQL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom