• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    There were 3 pieces of legal wrangling that came out of Judge Scullin's ruling.

1) DC appealed his original ruling to the DC Circuit (which is what DC recently dropped their appeal of).

2) DC enacted a may-issue concealed carry law. Our side challenged this with Judge Scullin saying it doesn't comply with the Judge's ruling.

3) There is a new case (also in front of Scullin I think) challenging may issue

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    There were 3 pieces of legal wrangling that came out of Judge Scullin's ruling.

1) DC appealed his original ruling to the DC Circuit (which is what DC recently dropped their appeal of).

2) DC enacted a may-issue concealed carry law. Our side challenged this with Judge Scullin saying it doesn't comply with the Judge's ruling.

3) There is a new case (also in front of Scullin I think) challenging may issue

I really hope the new lawsuit challenging the may-issue scheme does not take the 5 plus years that Palmer did. DC could easily keep moving the goal posts if that's the case. I'm curious if Wrenn will be on some kind of expedited time table? And, within the DC District Court, is Palmer "precedent"?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Coincidence or not? IIRC the Wrenn case has also been assigned to Sculin, who ruled in Palmer.

The same judge has both cases. I assume his ruling in Palmer would be part of any future ruling in Wrenn

thoughts?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I really hope the new lawsuit challenging the may-issue scheme does not take the 5 plus years that Palmer did. DC could easily keep moving the goal posts if that's the case. I'm curious if Wrenn will be on some kind of expedited time table? And, within the DC District Court, is Palmer "precedent"?

Palmer is district court precedent, which is to say, not binding on any court, including any district court judge in DC. It has only persuasive power.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    I'm very curious why Palmer has not applied for or been granted a license and how this case is concluded in the absence of relief for the plaintiff. Is this not the elephant in the living room?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The case is not concluded. We're still waiting on Sculin to rule on the SAF motion to find DC in contempt and for injunctive relief.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Seems to me the fundamental issue (“… does the Second Amendment guarantee the right to bear arms . . .”) remains postured for a final conclusion in Palmer. The District’s dismissal of its appeal simply flips “guarantee” which Mr. Gura maintains is the “only question” in Palmer back to the lower court where the apparent answer already is yes.* Note that the original order appears on its face to preclude the lower court from finding that the “new law” is in accordance with its order.

In any event the contempt motion is still pending and “may issue” is, of course, not a guarantee of the right. As Gura has pointed out the District can appeal any order of the lower court that, in effect, implements its Palmer decision.

Should the lower court somehow not enforce the clear implications of its Palmer order. . . Wrenn is out of the gate and running.

Could be Gura acquiesced in the dismissal of the appeal so that Palmer and Wrenn, if not consolidated, can be advanced at nearly the same rate with Wrenn covering any “may issue” escape that might occur in Palmer.

Regards
    Jack

*“nless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms.” Page 16 of the lower court’s opinion and order.

Last edited:

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    The case is not concluded. We're still waiting on Sculin to rule on the SAF motion to find DC in contempt and for injunctive relief.

When is that supposed to happen? Two weeks. ....before someone else does it,

NOBODY

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    I can't imagine why Palmer wouldn't have applied unless he clearly couldn't have met the announced criteria for issuance in which case, as I understand it, he would not need a denial for continued standing.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Seems to me the fundamental issue (“… does the Second Amendment guarantee the right to bear arms . . .”) remains postured for a final conclusion in Palmer. The District’s dismissal of its appeal simply flips “guarantee” which Mr. Gura maintains is the “only question” in Palmer back to the lower court where the apparent answer already is yes.* Note that the original order appears on its face to preclude the lower court from finding that the “new law” is in accordance with its order.

In any event the contempt motion is still pending and “may issue” is, of course, not a guarantee of the right. As Gura has pointed out the District can appeal any order of the lower court that, in effect, implements its Palmer decision.

Should the lower court somehow not enforce the clear implications of its Palmer order. . . Wrenn is out of the gate and running.

Could be Gura acquiesced in the dismissal of the appeal so that Palmer and Wrenn, if not consolidated, can be advanced at nearly the same rate with Wrenn covering any “may issue” escape that might occur in Palmer.

Regards
    Jack

*“nless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms.” Page 16 of the lower court’s opinion and order.

Simple. When the other guy wants to dismiss his appeal and quit and you won below, you *always* let him quit.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Looks to me like Mr. Gura (hats off) continues to see the whole field.

Acquiescing in the dismissal of the appeal has repositioned Palmer to run in tandem with Wrenn, before the same Republican judge and has refocused Palmer on “the only question” in the cases, i.e., the Second Amendment “guarantee” of the right to “bear” which, of course, is the “fundamental” issue in each case. The odds of an unfavorable ruling in both cases are now likely substantially less, or so it seems to me. The most he gave up, if anything, was a few months pending in the appellant court.

Regards
    Jack

Filed in the lower court on April 2:
    file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/gov.uscourts.dcd.137887.88.0%20(4).pdf

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the Defendants, the District of Columbia and its Police
    Chief, Cathy Lanier, have moved to voluntarily dismiss their appeal in this case (D.C. Cir. No.
    14-7180).
    With that, Defendants have not only acquiesced in this Court’s judgment—they have
    abandoned their various objections to the outstanding motion for permanent injunction (Dkt. 71)
    and motion to hold Defendants in contempt (Dkt. 83) that were based on allegations that their
    notice of appeal had divested this Court of jurisdiction.
    There is no question but that this Court has full jurisdiction to enforce its order and
    judgment of July 29, 2014, either by holding Defendants in contempt, or again enjoining the
    enforcement of D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) because the District has failed to enact a licensing
    scheme consistent with constitutional standards.
    Plaintiffs urge this Court to act expeditiously. Defendants’ appeal proved to be nothing
    more than an elaborate stalling tactic. First, they moved to hold their own appeal in abeyance.
    Case 1:09-cv-01482-FJS Document 88 Filed 04/02/15 Page 1 of 2
    Having failed at that, they sought an extension on their opening brief (in and of itself, a routine
    move), and finally, within two weeks of that brief being due at the extended deadline, Defendants
    decided they did not wish to have the appeal heard after all—having used the appeal as an excuse
    to delay enforcement for nearly five months.
    This Court should now determine whether the District’s “new” old law complies with its
    judgment of last July. Nearly six years after bringing this litigation, Plaintiffs remain deprived of
    a fundamental constitutional right, without a remedial order that the Defendants would follow,
    and without a means of accessing or triggering appellate review.
    Dated: April 2, 2015 Respectfully

Need a link that works, thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom