• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    I don't think they're all idiots. Just like in Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Illinois, California, etc. the freedom minded people are simply outnumbered.

Thanks for sticking up for those of us in DC! While I'm sure I qualify as an idiot, it's probably not for reasons related to this post. The sad truth is that in DC, there are exactly ZERO pro-2A candidates to vote for. We have to rely on the courts to preserve our rights. Until now, that's been a losing battle, but things are certainly looking up lately...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Thanks for sticking up for those of us in DC! While I'm sure I qualify as an idiot, it's probably not for reasons related to this post. The sad truth is that in DC, there are exactly ZERO pro-2A candidates to vote for. We have to rely on the courts to preserve our rights. Until now, that's been a losing battle, but things are certainly looking up lately...

Actually there are where they are needed. They belong to Congress.

It would only be natural for the NRA to work the politicians while SAF fights in court.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I don't think they're all idiots. Just like in Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Illinois, California, etc. the freedom minded people are simply outnumbered.

You are, of course, absolutely correct...:spank:

As a Marylander, I should know better. :sign13:

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    NJ has a few issues. One is that yes, we are outnumbered. But it's quality AND quantity. Often prior to elections in big cities like Newark and JC people go around with bullhorns saying X candidate is a racist so vote for Y. And believe it or not, it works.

NJ is also a heavily union state. People often would vote how their union says to. Can't blame them, the union helps put food on the table.

We also have weak GOPers like Chris Christie who align themselves with democrats to get elected. Problem is that the democrats get elected too and the Governor has little power.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The DC politicians might have personality clashes , and might differ on whom they are corruptly beholden to , but on the issues we would care about there is no difference between any of the incumbents or any of the challengers.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    The squabbling over the legal fees begins, also SAF/Gura file a Notice of Supplemental Authority covering the Binderup v Holder win in PA District.

09/25/2014 68 Consent MOTION to Stay Briefing on Attorney Fees by DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, CATHY L. LANIER (Attachments: # 1 Text of Proposed Order)(Saindon, Andrew) (Entered: 09/25/2014)

09/25/2014 69 ORDER: Granting Defendant's # 68 Consent Motion to Stay Briefing on Attorney Fees. Signed by Judge Frederick J. Scullin, Jr. on 9/25/2014. (Scullin, Frederick) (Entered: 09/25/2014)

09/26/2014 70 NOTICE OF SUPPLEMENTAL AUTHORITY by GEORGE LYON, AMY MCVEY, TOM G. PALMER, EDWARD RAYMOND, SECOND AMENDMENT FOUNDATION, INC. (Attachments: # 1 Exhibit A: Binderup v. Holder)(Gura, Alan) (Entered: 09/26/2014)

This Supplemental Authority (attached) was submitted primarily to stem the tide of the 2A 2-Step Means End Analysis, which many other Courts have adopted and the DC Defendants are saying Judge Scullin didn't use, hoping to support their Motion for Reconsideration.

The PA District ruling in Binderup works towards that end of negating the 2-Step approach.

Attachments

• Palmer_70.pdf
      61.3 KB · Views: 194

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    The squabbling over the legal fees begins, also SAF/Gura file a Notice of Supplemental Authority covering the Binderup v Holder win in PA District.

This Supplemental Authority (attached) was submitted primarily to stem the tide of the 2A 2-Step Means End Analysis, which many other Courts have adopted and the DC Defendants are saying Judge Scullin didn't use, hoping to support their Motion for Reconsideration.

The PA District ruling in Binderup works towards that end of negating the 2-Step approach.

There is certainly some industry jargon here, but its pretty straightforwardly cuts off the Districts play at the knees...before it is even made :)

The question that screams in my mind is, what if Gura hadn't filed this?

It seems to me like the burden of proof is on Gura fulltime and he is having to keep everyone fighting fair. At what point does/should the Judge step in to play the voice of reason and make this argument himself?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Article references a filing by Gura on Tuesday, the internet archive reads: MOTION for Permanent Injunction by GEORGE LYON, AMY MCVEY, TOM G. PALMER, EDWARD RAYMOND, SECOND AMENDMENT FOUNDATION, INC. (Attachments: # 1 Memorandum in Support, # 2 Exhibit A, Enrolled Original D.C. Bill B20-0926, # 3 Text of Proposed Order)(Gura, Alan) (Entered: 10/02/2014)

Can't access the filing though.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    In glancing, do I see that Gura is saying that if the Court allows this, then they are just as incorrect as CA4 in Woollard?

Seems odd...

From what I get, is that DC is just rehashing the law the way it was when this case first started. That law was apparently changed in 2009.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom