• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BadShot25

Oct 9, 2008
    I think Utah covers more states including Virginia. I spend quite a bit of time in Virginia though so I just applied for the Virginia permit instead, and I also had some issues with the Utah application.

Last edited:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Hi all,
    I've seen a lot of threads here about Utah CCW classes and applications. It seems as though VA also allows out-of-staters to apply for and receive CCW permits. Has anyone gone through it? Is there a reason to apply for Utah over VA?

Utah covers more states than VA, but Utah requires a specific Utah-certified class before you can get their permit. Furthermore, some folks around here have Utah/Florida and a Virginia permit, as the average LEO in the mid-Atlantic area is more likely to recognize that a VA permit is valid in their state than one from Utah. Certainly, you'll be vindicated in the end, but what's your time worth?

If you do a lot of traveling, Utah is probably the way to go. If you'll mostly hang around this area of the world, Virginia will suit you just fine. If you've got the cash, spring for both just in case a state changes which permits they honor without your knowledge. You'll stand a better chance of being covered if you have multiple permits.

Check out www.handgunlaw.us for lots of info.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Hi all,
    I've seen a lot of threads here about Utah CCW classes and applications. It seems as though VA also allows out-of-staters to apply for and receive CCW permits. Has anyone gone through it? Is there a reason to apply for Utah over VA?

More reciprocity w/Utah. You may also consider Florida, because according to your profile you're a DC resident, and if you plan to go to FL then you need their permit. They do not accept VA or UT non-resident permits(but VA and UT accept FL's non-res permit).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Utah specific course is a good course. It covers a lot of information that is of value to someone new to carry and/ or self defense issues.
    However , to simply get the piece of paper, VA is simpler to meet the training requirement.
    For that matter, indeed redundency is a good thing.

VA requires a course of somekind - NRA, hunting, etc/ Two passport photos, fingerprints, and an application.

I have taken an NRA Basic course in VA, so I'm thinking I'll just apply for VA. I took recently, so don't feel like sitting through another class and shelling out another $125 at this point.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    VA requires a course of somekind - NRA, hunting, etc/ Two passport photos, fingerprints, and an application.

I have taken an NRA Basic course in VA, so I'm thinking I'll just apply for VA. I took recently, so don't feel like sitting through another class and shelling out another $125 at this point.

That class you took in VA is accepted in FL as well. Make copies of your certificate as you don't want to send the original anyway.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

Actually, VA will accept a copy of the certificate that you got for doing the MD State Police "safety course" that you had to take to purchase MD regulated firearms. That's what I used for mine.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Does the Utah class satisfy the training requirement for most of these states, like FL and VA? Are there any states where the Utah class does not satisfy those training requirements?

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Does the Utah class satisfy the training requirement for most of these states, like FL and VA? Are there any states where the Utah class does not satisfy those training requirements?

The Utah permit class does meet the same requirement for Virginia and can be used for that permit as well. The class can also be used towards applying for a Florida permit, but you would additionally also need to demonstrate safe handling and firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor (live fire).

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    The Utah permit class does meet the same requirement for Virginia and can be used for that permit as well. The class can also be used towards applying for a Florida permit, but you would additionally also need to demonstrate safe handling and firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor (live fire).

I think I'm going to sign up for your York PA class on the 28th. Just need to run it by the funding committee.

Being an MD resident, I can take the UT class in PA and it would still be valid for the UT permit, right?

I'd like to take the NRA home defense course anyway so both of these would be good for me.

Thanks!

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I think I'm going to sign up for your York PA class on the 28th. Just need to run it by the funding committee.

Being an MD resident, I can take the UT class in PA and it would still be valid for the UT permit, right?

I'd like to take the NRA home defense course anyway so both of these would be good for me.

Thanks!

Yes, you can take our Utah permit class in Pa. and its still valid. It doesn't matter where you take the course or what state you are a resident of.

I look forward to your registration, and thank you! :)

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I JUST sent in my packet on July 23rd to VSP. Saturday, I received a letter stating they had cashed my money order on Wed. 28 July. I will keep you updated as to when I get my permit (as provided I have filled in the app correctly and have all the nessecary info properly applied, so far so good).

I used my Hunters Safety card (good for life) from when I took that as a minor some 19 years ago. VA says that card signifies competency per the application packet. Basically, the costs boil down like this.

Application fee 100.00 (non-refundable)
    Passport photo 7.22 from CVS
    Fingerprints from Balto. Co. PD $5 (exact change cash)
    Postage (no certified or return receipt) 1.22
    Money Order Charge 1.05
    Grand total of 110.00 ish (plus maybe something I'm forgetting).

I don't have the time to take a Utah class now, and if I decide I will travel out west to some of those states in the distant future, perhaps I will take the course and apply. Since my prime travel is through MD, VA, PA, occasionally DE and occasionally WV, I decided that the VA permit would be most recognized and not questioned by the LEOs in those states.

The application process is quite simple, and painless, and should not be a problem. We'll see how long it takes to get my permit back, because most on here have said it took 2 weeks or so to get a letter back stating the VSP had cashed their check/money order, mine was 1 week and 1 day.

TheZman

May 10, 2010
    I'm unclear as to why a Maryland resident would get a permit from Virginia. Unless you spend a lot of time in Virginia, what value is it to you in Maryland?

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    I'm unclear as to why a Maryland resident would get a permit from Virginia. Unless you spend a lot of time in Virginia, what value is it to you in Maryland?

In MD, it is useless. But if you travel out of MD, It will allow you to carry in these blue states.

A license from FL will allow you to carry in these blue states....same states but a couple more.

and one from UT will allow you to carry in these blue states.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Because, the VA permit is recognized by DE, VA, WVA, PA and even if we get MD permits, there is no guarantee that those states will recognize a MD permit. Nor is there any guarantee that they will ever recognize a MD permit.

So, even if the SAF case is a success and we get shall issue here in Maryland, I don't want to be disarmed when I cross the border to our directional neighbors. Especially when for a little over $100 bucks and hardly any time invested (literally it took me maybe 2~3 hours of my life to get all of the necessary stuff together), it's worth the energy and investment.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Because, the VA permit is recognized by DE, VA, WVA, PA and even if we get MD permits, there is no guarantee that those states will recognize a MD permit. Nor is there any guarantee that they will ever recognize a MD permit.

So, even if the SAF case is a success and we get shall issue here in Maryland, I don't want to be disarmed when I cross the border to our directional neighbors. Especially when for a little over $100 bucks and hardly any time invested (literally it took me maybe 2~3 hours of my life to get all of the necessary stuff together), it's worth the energy and investment.

Well said. We had a number of folks in our gun safety class this past weekend in Chantilly who were from Md. They were going to apply for the Va non-resident permit. It just makes sense to get whatever you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom