• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Some do, some don't, but unless you are just shooting targets, without a lot of targets, it may be fine, but the field of view is fairly small.

And if you ever try to go hunting, that is way too much power for picking up the game.

And higher power means less light in low light conditions, making it harder to see targets, especially those without a LOT of contrast.

IMO, many people over scope their rifles. They seem to think that more power will make them shoot better.

And remember, the CMP guys shoot to 600 yards with iron sights. :)

Even my 6-24x Viper PST is a bit small FOV at 100. But that rifle is seldom shot at 100 yards, normally 300 to 1200 yards.

Midway BSA scope is a great scope for the price. It is basically the same scope sold as a Mueller and Primary Arms. BSA name, but NOT a BSA scope. I have one on my rimfire trainer.

I hunt with a 6-24 PST at times...its not that bad at all. Even with my 3-9's I usually keep it on 5x or 6x

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have the VV 6.5-20x44 that I bought when the last sale came up ($299.99). I put it on my 6.8 SPC II AR. Love the scope and the Dead Hold BDC reticle. On another subject I also have the BSA Mil-Mil 4-14x44 MRAD FFP. I think it is one of the best values for the money. It was the scope I had on my 3-gun build first match, the initial Precision/Tactical match at Peacemaker where I was only 1 hit behind sniper trained LEO and future 3GN world champ Greg Jordan on 2 of the stages. These days I use the scope to evaluate a new rifle buy or build from .22LR to .308. It goes on first before I decide what an appropriate scope it should have.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Familiar with it but it isn't my first choice unless it is a flat-shooting cartridge.

I prefer to hunt with 180 grain bullets in my 30-06. Which works out to a 227 yard zero 3" high at 100 yards and almost 7" low at 300 yards. I prefer more precision than that or I'd injure, not kill, a 350 yard antelope.

A 180 grain Sierra Game King at 2700 fps (Federal 180 gr load velocity) is 284 yard zero for a 334 yard max point blank range with a +/-5" trajectory (deer size vital area).

For a +/- 7" trajectory, Zero at 324 yards with a 381 yard max PBR.

For a round nose (Sierra Pro Hunter) the 5" numbers are zero at 264, 308 max PBR. For 7", zero at 299, max PBR of 349.

Prong horn antelope is vital area of 14 - 15" (7 - 7.5" radius).

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have the VV 6.5-20x44 that I bought when the last sale came up ($299.99). I put it on my 6.8 SPC II AR. Love the scope and the Dead Hold BDC reticle. On another subject I also have the BSA Mil-Mil 4-14x44 MRAD FFP. I think it is one of the best values for the money. It was the scope I had on my 3-gun build first match, the initial Precision/Tactical match at Peacemaker where I was only 1 hit behind sniper trained LEO and future 3GN world champ Greg Jordan on 2 of the stages. These days I use the scope to evaluate a new rifle buy or build from .22LR to .308. It goes on first before I decide what an appropriate scope it should have.

I've ended up buying the same 2 scopes on sale also, the 2nd one on your recommendation. Have not had a chance to use them yet but I'm really looking forward to the Mil-Mil, my first such scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom