• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    I have a PST which I like. I'm thinking about a Lucid L7 1-6 ($376) . I had one highly respected word of mouth recommendation for Lucid in general. I'm looking for others experiences. Thanks!

VTHokie7

Feb 10, 2010
    Katy, TX
    What distance do you plan on shooting with this optic?

I use the Vortex 1-4x PST on my Sig 716 and really like. My eyes are still pretty good so 4x gets me to 300 yards without an issue. Regarding a reticle comparison, the PST has a slightly finer reticle, the Strike Eagle is a little thicker and works really well for 200 yards and under. The point I was trying to make in my previous post is that there is a very noticeable quality difference between the SE and the PST.

An old blurry pic of my Sig716 w/ the PST:

83cc42bf.jpg

The furthest out the range I typically go to is 300 yards. So likely within that. This is my first AR though so I will probably bounce around the distances. Part of the reason I'm drawn to a variable optic. Well that and my astigmatism makes red dots worthless.

Also have been doing some researching on 3gun and may use my AR there.

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I've got the PA 1-6 ACSS on top of my 16" AR. Went to Delmarva over the weekend to zero it with PPU 75 gr BTHP. Was able to get a good zero at 100, then used the BDC to ring steel at 300 consistently. Went over to the 500 yard range and was able to confirm that the BDC works there just fine - Center held on the 24x24 steel plate and all the rounds were landing on the bottom half of the plate. The 5 MPH wind marks were pretty helpful - there was a slight breeze every now and then and holding halfway between the zero line and 5 mph dot put rounds on the center when the breeze picked up.

I'll confirm zero at Lewistown, PA in October - but I'm pretty sure I'll have to re-adjust: Delmarva is basically sea level, it was 93F and humid. Lewistown is up in the mountains, it will be cool and likely dry, too. If I lose 2 MOA at 500, that's enough to miss a D profile target.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Looks like it has the same crappy turrets as the Vortex Strike Eagle.

It took Leopold years to design and tool up for their 6x magnification power scopes; I'd love to know how PA managed to up the anti to 8x.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    PA has two 1-8 scopes now. One with 30mm tube at $380. Then the new platinum series with 35mm tube. It also comes with a lifetime warrenty. Price $1300. Would consider the PA for 8x range. The big negs are the turrets ant the weight.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I just returned a Primary Arms red dot and magnifier because it sucked (terrible eye relief and need magnification instead of just a red dot). I looked through a friends strike eagle and really liked it. I was about to order it but you guys have me second guessing it.
    I liked the adjustability of it and thought the eye relief was great. Then again what do I know.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I just returned a Primary Arms red dot and magnifier because it sucked (terrible eye relief and need magnification instead of just a red dot). I looked through a friends strike eagle and really liked it. I was about to order it but you guys have me second guessing it.
    I liked the adjustability of it and thought the eye relief was great. Then again what do I know.

I've bashed my Strike Eagle pretty good on here... but for $300 it's probably the best available in the price range. I'm at the point where personally I would just spend more $$$ and get something better.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I've bashed my Strike Eagle pretty good on here... but for $300 it's probably the best available in the price range. I'm at the point where personally I would just spend more $$$ and get something better.

My price range began at $150 and is now $320 for the strike eagle.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo

The worst thing you can do with optics is get behind a good one, because cheap ones won't impress you anymore.

For the price the Strike Eagle isn't bad, especially considering how much the high end 1-6x variables cost. I just couldn't get enthused about it the Strike Eagle, even for the price.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    The worst thing you can do with optics is get behind a good one, because cheap ones won't impress you anymore.

For the price the Strike Eagle isn't bad, especially considering how much the high end 1-6x variables cost. I just couldn't get enthused about it the Strike Eagle, even for the price.

This. I always thought Nikons were good scopes for the money until I found Vortex. I thought Vortex had pretty good glass until I found Sightron. Everything higher than the Sightron SIII is way to rich for my blood, so I stopped there.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    This. I always thought Nikons were good scopes for the money until I found Vortex. I thought Vortex had pretty good glass until I found Sightron. Everything higher than the Sightron SIII is way to rich for my blood, so I stopped there.

After I bought my first Nightforce my glass suddenly outvalued my guns in about a year's time.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    PA has two 1-8 scopes now. One with 30mm tube at $380. Then the new platinum series with 35mm tube. It also comes with a lifetime warrenty. Price $1300. Would consider the PA for 8x range. The big negs are the turrets ant the weight.

Mrgunsngear just did a review of the Platinum about 5 days ago. Looks pretty good but for the price I feel more inclined to get the Vortex Razor 1-6.

https://youtu.be/pAsIUIbyWXc

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Seeing the comments about the strike eagle is turning me away from it. I'm starting to now think the Leupold custom shop is probably the way to go to get what I want. I have a Leupold on my bolt gun and love it.

Plenty of folks like it. Look through one and make your own decision.

I've never shot the high end Leupold's, but the lower-mid end ones I've looked through haven't impressed me much. I've never really understood the big deal about Leupold, but maybe I need to try one of the more expensive ones.

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    In the market for a 1x6 and have narrowed it down to either the Vortex strike eagle or the Primary arms 1x6 any recommendations opinions? Which is better from yalls experience
    I prefer...um...one of each

RossL

Dec 29, 2015
    Plenty of folks like it. Look through one and make your own decision.

I've never shot the high end Leupold's, but the lower-mid end ones I've looked through haven't impressed me much. I've never really understood the big deal about Leupold, but maybe I need to try one of the more expensive ones.
    It's like test driving a Ferrari and then going to test drive a Honda Civic vs. Accord.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

Exactly the same here. Plus you can find some pretty good deals on used S3's as people upgrade from them to 2k$ optics. For my purposes I will never need better glass than an S3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom