Vortex Spitfire, Gen1 1x or Gen2 3x? Help decide.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Looking for a general purpose optic for an AR. Thinking about the two Vortex Spitfires. Is a 3x Gen2 worth the $150 additional price, or is the Gen1 1x good enough for a roughly come what may scenario involving 0 to 100yds maybe more.
    Shot irons to 300 yds back in the day, but finding the front sight now days is getting harder. I have a 1x4 LPVO but want something else at the moment. What say you?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You don't need magnified sights to make a 100yd shot unless your target is very small (like less than an A-zone).

I run a gen1 Spitfire 1x on a PCC. It's fine, but I do not consider it to be as fast as a reflex sight.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    You don't need magnified sights to make a 100yd shot unless your target is very small (like less than an A-zone).

I run a gen1 Spitfire 1x on a PCC. It's fine, but I do not consider it to be as fast as a reflex sight.
    this. reflex with a 2-4 moa dot.

LS1

Jun 19, 2010
    Not So Free State
    Gen1 1x is clunky, recently upgraded to PA slx microprism 1x with the 9mm gemini reticle for pcc and think it is well worth an extra $50 over the spitfire.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Thanks for input. Main reason I was looking at those models were they both have etched reticles. I don’t really need the magnification but the 1x is indeed chunky/clunky. Maybe a regular Reddot or reflex with BUIS would be a good choice. Any recommendations that are under $400, under $300 better?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Gen1 1x is clunky, recently upgraded to PA slx microprism 1x with the 9mm gemini reticle for pcc and think it is well worth an extra $50 over the spitfire.

True - I have the older Vortex Spitfire and it is larger and heavy.

Any Holosun will do what you want.

For a red dot, yes. I can tell a difference between my Holosun and a (e.g.) Vortex. The Holosun just looks more clear overall (glass and dot).

PA microprism has etched reticle, under $300, about the size of a red dot, but clear reticle for those with astigmatism.

This is my problem as well. Another thing I like about prism sights is they work even if the battery dies.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    OP I will also add that I have a nice Vortex 1-6X LPVO and that thing is wonderful for low light conditons, I mean later in the year when the sun is setting and the range is nearing closing time. It also has a lighted reticle.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Do you know any shops locally that carry them? Prefer to buy locally, over mail order.
    I picked up 2) PA micro Prisms last year at a shop in Columbia MD,, I can not remeber the name of the shop,, he had a store front but it is low key and appointment only. His cah price was better than I could find online.

EDIT:
    I am 99% sure it was

ARCHELON DEFENSE LLC Store in COLUMBIA​

6655 DOBBIN RD # G
    COLUMBIA, MD 21045

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Thanks for input. Main reason I was looking at those models were they both have etched reticles. I don’t really need the magnification but the 1x is indeed chunky/clunky. Maybe a regular Reddot or reflex with BUIS would be a good choice. Any recommendations that are under $400, under $300 better?
    I really like the Romeo 5s. I have several. They come with a cowitness riser or can be lowered with the provided plate. They have a really long battery life and the motion activation means I won't forget to turn it off and I don't have to turn it on either. It only has a 20moa window if that matters but they are good out to 100yds with the 2moa dot. You can also magnify it if you want with the Juliet.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I really like the Romeo 5s. I have several. They come with a cowitness riser or can be lowered with the provided plate. They have a really long battery life and the motion activation means I won't forget to turn it off and I don't have to turn it on either. It only has a 20moa window if that matters but they are good out to 100yds with the 2moa dot. You can also magnify it if you want with the Juliet.
    Just beware, there are lots of fakes out there. Stay away from ebay in particular. I like mine mounted on Unity Fast Micro mounts. But they're really made for close in shooting(50 yards and in).

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I have both the x3 and x5 gen 2 vortex spitfires if you want to try them. The x3 is on my Ruger PCC and I love it. The x5 hasn't found a home yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom