• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I am thinking of putting this on an AR that I am finishing up building. I have seen some good reviews and recommendations for this optic but I am concerned with how it will be for short yardage with both eyes open. Some say it is fine and others suggest it is not so good. I like the idea of 6x to go out to distance but I don't want to sacrifice close range effectiveness for it. Any one have experience with one of these?

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I was thinking for the 25-50 yard range and how it would be with both eyes open. I will have Magpul MBUS rear and a standard A2 front sight on it as well. I just trying to decide on this or the EOTech 512.A65 with a 3x flip mount magnifier. I guess I will just have to build another and have both.:D

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have been running one in 3 gun this year, good scope for the money.
    It works as advertised, have made shots from 10 feet to 300 yards, if I missed it wasn't the scope's fault. It does work with both eyes open, provided you take some time to focus it, works better if the target is at least 10 yards away, does have some "fishbowl" effect, but focusing reduces that, as does keeping a solid cheekweld. The edges of the FOV is a little distorted, but the center is clear and bright up to full 6X power, the eye box is relatively small, so have to put your eye in the right place every time, especially at high magnification, not as forgiving as some other models. The illumination isn't "daytime bright", but it does provide enough to contrast against a black target in sunlight, works great in the shade. The reticle is awesome, really easy to get on target fast and judge holdover/under, just a little thick for small targets far away. The adjustments work great, they are repeatable, and mine seem to move about the correct .5 MOA per click, it had held 0 in my MI mount all year getting bumped and tossed around.

Have tried other models, the Viper 1-4 is clearer with a thinner recticle, despite having a little less magnification it's clear enough to shoot at least as good at range for just a bit more. Tried a Burris MTAC, cool reticle, but really covers a lot of target, and was nowhere near as clear and bright as the Strike Eagle. You don't get much more till you get near the Trij TR25 or Razor, they get you a crystal clear and bright image with crisp and fine reticle with bright illumination

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I ran one for a 3 day carbine class at BSR last fall.

It was fine for short range, both eyes open.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    FYI - Amazon has them deeply discounted as of last night and they say they have them in stock. Vortex is 2 month back order (just ordered one from vortex this week). If I had known the amazon price and stock, I would have just bought from there.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have this scope also. Wanted a true 1x both eyes open close target capability, and really wanted 6x rather than 4x on the top end.

I was pleasantly surprised and have been very satisfied with this scope. Fully functional, and at a price point where you're going to take a real eye opener of a leap in price to get into a better scope of this sort. Not much else to add that Alucard didn't already cover and cover well.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have the 1-6x Strike Eagle, 1-4x PST and a 1-6x SWFA HD in this magnification category.

The center of the Strike Eagle is nice and clear, the edges have significant fish eye distortion. The eye box is a little tight on this scope in my opinion and paralex is permanently set at 100 yards.

The adjusters are very cheap plastic, however the erectors seems to hold a zero well and are repeatable.

The reticle is on the thicker side but I do like it and it does allow for fast target acquisition.

In my opinion, this is a low end scope with mid grade glass and reasonable quality control. The front lens is held in place by a retention ring that is glued in place, it is not threaded or indexed, just glue. I have no idea how the rear lens is held in.

The illumination is either off or on at one of the intensity levels. It does not have "off" points between each intensity level.

I probably would not buy this scope again. I would recommend spending a little bit more for a Vortex PST 1-4x or Steiner 1-4x.

I know they are not in the price category but in retrospect if I could do it all over again I would have put the $$$ towards a Leupold Mk4 1.5-5x or a VX-6 1-6x Multigun.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I went ahead an bought the midrange priced scope adjuster power levered, Vortex 1-6x24, Generation II HD Razor, JM reticle, with a 30mm QD Wilson Combat mounted on one of my AR's.

I like it...and I agree with Jerry Miculek --- "That it's built like a tank."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom