• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    Aimpoint and eotech both have their fans. Yes, they both make an exceptional optic, but vortex makes a great optic as well. For the price, neither can be beat. I own both, and a vmx3 magnifier and I love them. Votex has a lifetime no ******** warranty too. I've had no problems whatsoever with any vortex product, and I'm also about to buy a viper PST 1-4 and PST 4-16.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I'd save up another $150 and buy an Aimpoint Pro. You won't have to worry about a warranty. :lol2:

The battery will also last 10 times longer.

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    If you're looking for a good micro dot then yeah, go for the Sparc, I love mine and plan on a second, but if you want a good 30mm Red dot then I agree with Obscene, extra 150 for the Aimpoint Pro seems like a better course of action.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    just keep in mind that a rifle is near useless if you cant put the rounds where they need to go...if youre gonna run irons, buy good irons...gonna run an optic, well but a good optic. with all the money you put into your ar (im guessing around $1000 give or take) why skimp on one of the most important factors?

i suggest an aimpoint for several reasons:
    1. battery life, you could leave your aimpoint on for 5 straight years if you wanted to...vortex? not so much...you leave it after a range trip and you may be SOL next time you pick it up.
    2. clarity, simply put the glass on the aimpoints is far, FAR better than that of any vortex, and the last thing you want is a poor sight picture.
    3. bang for your buck. aimpoint is a damn good company that understands that not everyone can shell out for the comp m4 and such high end models...models like the c3 and pro (nearly identical) offer the key highlights of what makes them such good optics at a price that anyone can afford.

i would get the pro over the micro, ive had a t1 before and didnt care for it...not because it was a bad optic, but because i couldnt add flip up caps. im picky about that, imho flip ups are one of the most important optic add ons. you do not want your lenses getting rain, dirt, dust, ect on them if you can avoid it...and those little rubber band "bikini" covers are just a joke to me.

its nice to have a good range toy, but i feel like its better to have a range toy that i can count on in a life or death situation if it comes down to that.

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    I have a strikefire, and I like it. Id like something smaller but I dont use it that much since I prefer sharpening my skill with the irons. I only paid 150$ shipped for it so I couldnt pass it up...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    What rings would you get with that if you still want a co-witness iron sight.

You don't buy rings, it comes with it's own mount. :)

Depending on your set-up, you may get a co-witness with it as is. If it's too high, then you pull the riser out and that should get you there.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Just an FYI, but the Aimpoint PRO has a 3 year battery life, not 5 year.

true, i forgot about that...still a hell of alot longer than any vortex though

What rings would you get with that if you still want a co-witness iron sight.

like brad said, the pro comes with a mount for that. personally im partial to american defense manuf. mounts...a touch on the pricey side but damn good mounts.

all this being said, im upgrading from my c3 w/ adm mount to a ta33 acog with a larue mount, not because i dont like the aimpoint...but i just want to step up lol

id highly recommend the c3, it will cost more than the pro, but its a tad better imho

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I also agree with Nemesis. Spend a little extra and get an Aimpoint. Honestly, I much prefer my EoTechs for usability. They have a huge field of view, and have very little bulk to obstruct your sight picture. I also like the 1MOA dot within the ring reticule that is available. The only downside to an EoTech compared to an Aimpoint is the battery life (600-1000 hours compared to 30k -50k hours) My perfect optic would be an EoTech XPS-0 with the battery life of an Aimpoint. :)

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I have a SPARC and have nothing bad to say about it. It has an auto shut off after 4 hours I believe. I am not a fan of the Aimpoint PRO, as it is freakin huge. I would recommend an eotech if you want to upgrade from a SPARC

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    I have the sparc on my AR. I bought it because of the good reviews and price. I haven't used it much. Only a few times at the range but for the money im happy. I haven't done any big drop test to see if it holds zero but its still shooting straight nonetheless.

Ronin9

Jun 11, 2013
    Good 'ole "Fredneck" County
    I've got both and has their associated pros/cons. In all honesty though they get the job done and I've yet to have an issue w/ either. I do favor the sparc over the strikefire if anything b/c its smaller and I've found sight picture and target acquisition is a bit quicker for me (your experience may vary). The screw on magnifiers are decent for what they are... but if i really feel the need I'll spring for a flip to side. Eventually I'll upgrade to the Trijicon SRS... but until then the vortex optics will do just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom