• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    All of the above. Probably from a market perspective, the quality AKs are most vulnerable to bans. So I am going to say a nice Arsenal or similar AK semi clone in 7.62*39 or 5.56*45. 5.45 ammo is awesomely cheap but vulnerable to an executive order restricting imports.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    All of the above. Probably from a market perspective, the quality AKs are most vulnerable to bans. So I am going to say a nice Arsenal or similar AK semi clone in 7.62*39 or 5.56*45. 5.45 ammo is awesomely cheap but vulnerable to an executive order restricting imports.

Very good points I hear alot of +'s from Arsenal AK's. LOL and yes from a markets point of view all the guns noted above should be owned

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    None taken. I owned and AK and an SKS at one time. And yes, regret that I sold them.:sad20:

Its ok man there out there you can always buy them again. And the only reason I say no to an ar-15 is just because NO OFFENSE NO ONE they seem kind of like a bandwagon gun. everywhere I go I see them. And I know there good rifles well built spec'd and group well which is why they are so popular. ak47's are kind of cliche to but not as bad. Which is why Im debating 74 over 47. Plus I hear that 5.45X39 round is a nasty little bastard. Well I know it is because I was shot with one.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you want to be an iconoclast, go hunt down an SKS-D (AK mag version) off Gunbroker. Still not that expensive yet.

Otherwise, vz58.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    What do you want to do with it?

Hold it in your lap while you watch tv? Any will do.

Blast away with cheap ammo? AK or SKS

Learn and practice marksmanship? Mauser (esp. w/ Mojosight upgrade) or Garand.

Have beautiful women beg to have your baby? Garand.

Al's Snackbar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Cheap Ammo? AK47
    Ammo with a punch? AK47
    Eats lousy ammo? AK47
    Reliable? AK47
    Really Reliable? AK47
    Stupidly Reliable? AK47
    Accurate enough? AK47
    Scares the media? AK47
    Scares everyone? AK47
    Helped Charlie defeat the US? AK47
    Helped the Afghans defeat the Soviets? AK47
    Helped the Wolverines defeat the Soviets? AK47
    Copied more than any other weapon? AK47

When you absolutely positively have to have that warm fuzzy feeling that when you pull the trigger it will go bang over and over and over.....
    sgl21-61.jpg

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    Cheap Ammo? AK47
    Ammo with a punch? AK47
    Eats lousy ammo? AK47
    Reliable? AK47
    Really Reliable? AK47
    Stupidly Reliable? AK47
    Accurate enough? AK47
    Scares the media? AK47
    Scares everyone? AK47
    Helped Charlie defeat the US? AK47
    Helped the Afghans defeat the Soviets? AK47
    Helped the Wolverines defeat the Soviets? AK47
    Copied more than any other weapon? AK47

When you absolutely positively have to have that warm fuzzy feeling that when you pull the trigger it will go bang over and over and over.....
    sgl21-61.jpg

lol so I guess your saying buy an ak47.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Out of your choices, I'd go AK-47.

Second that. :thumbsup:

Never got excited by the SKS, if I'm honest. The 74 could be fun - but ammo vulnerability is something to consider IMO. Mauser, I'm lefty, so the old bolt's never appealed to me.

First rifle I bought at 18 in Va was a Romanian 47 - wish I'd kept it, sold it off before I even fired a single round thru it. :sad20:

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    I have no regrets as to my Arsenal AK47 whatsoever. However its hard to match the price point on the SKS. Ak74 might be better for a shooter with more of a longer range itch. I'm happy with 200 yards atm, but you may want more. If so, the '74 is the way to go.

The AK is still a fairly inexpensive military patterned weapon to own--cheap enough to make it sensible to just buy the better ones, like the Arsenal, and the practice ammo is amazingly cheap, which makes long term ownership highly affordable to the shooter on a budget. Now if you are like me you just dump the savings back into more ammo and various upgrades, but end of the day, ammo costs matter to a shooter, as opposed to a collector.

All of the Soviet designed options are highly vulnerable to banning. I'm thinking the AK47/74 for you, with the range at which you wish to commonly shoot being the deciding factor. 200yrds or less--'47. out to 400--'74.

Gundahar

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom