• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCutdSE

Rebel Scum
    Jan 2, 2009
    The student's 1A rights should be protected. What if the shirt said "Protect Your Right" and then had an image of a [insert politically sensitive symbol of your choice]?

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    People have lost their damn mind!

And while I agree with the kid I think it was foolish to go back to school with the same shirt. I would have at least picked our a different NRA shirt :innocent0

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I just spoke with his grandmother. Jared went back to school today. There is still some legal wrangling to come, anyone interested in making a donation post up and I'll get you the information.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I wish I knew what I know now when I was in public school. I would've been wearing NRA shirts and shirts with guns on them everyday...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If he was my kid I'd be damned proud of him.

White said that when police told the teen they were going to arrest him, he stuck his hands out and said, "Fine."
    LOVE it!

The student's 1A rights should be protected. What if the shirt said "Protect Your Right" and then had an image of a [insert politically sensitive symbol of your choice]?
    If he had something like "Gay Power" or rainbows, or some other pro-gay thing on it, he'd probably have been commended by the school staff for being so open minded, and yet as I see it, it's really no different.

My question now would be whether or not he was violating school policy. AA County schools have some pretty insane rules about "appropriate" clothing. As an example, my daughter got caught in the crosshairs for wearing a pair of flannel plaid pajama pants to school in middle school. Mind you, functionally they were really no different than sweat pants (which are allowed) AND they were sold BY THE SCHOOL as part of a fundraiser and therefore had the school logo on it. :sad20:

I told the assistant principal (not in these exact words, mind you) that the policy was stupid, and he was equally as stupid for enforcing what was essentially a technicality.

bjmsam

The Skeptic
    I love it!

West Virginia teen returns to school with NRA shirt, classmates’ support

A West Virginia teen who was arrested and suspended for wearing a National Rifle Association T-shirt to school returned to class Monday wearing the same shirt that got him into trouble.

Jared Marcum, 14, was joined by about 100 other students across Logan County who wore shirts with a similar gun rights theme in a show of support for free speech.

Totalitarians hate the 2nd Amendment, and they also don't care much for the 1st Amendment.

In their view, a well-planned and properly-administered society has no need for either.

Let's just say these folks tend not to be history buffs...

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    People have lost their damn mind!

And while I agree with the kid I think it was foolish to go back to school with the same shirt. I would have at least picked our a different NRA shirt :innocent0

Yeah, I think you need some common sense here. Is it a perfectly acceptable shirt? Yes. In school? Probably not. 15 years ago when I was graduating this still would have probably gotten some concern and he would have been asked to turn it outside.

Now... should he have been arrested and all the rest? No. Send the kid home and figure out how to handle it when everyone has calmed down. This is out of control.

dswanmd

Feb 23, 2010
    Yeah, I think you need some common sense here. Is it a perfectly acceptable shirt? Yes. In school? Probably not. 15 years ago when I was graduating this still would have probably gotten some concern and he would have been asked to turn it outside.

Now... should he have been arrested and all the rest? No. Send the kid home and figure out how to handle it when everyone has calmed down. This is out of control.

Who are you to determine what someone else wears? Kind of a "your rights end where mine begin" situation if you ask me.. Not sure if sarcasm..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom