• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Another postscript ...

Calvert boy with toy cap gun won’t have record; suspension reversed

The letter, to the family’s attorney, says Smith reviewed the record, “carefully considering both the needs of the student and those of the school system.”

Well, how gracious of School Superintendent Jack R. Smith. The parents need to bring a civil suit like the one in Logan, WVA ... at least to recoup the money they spent on hiring a lawyer, not to mention the anguish caused to their 5yo.

If the school system higher-ups can't apply common sense to situations like this, maybe 'beating it into them' with a civil suit will make them think twice the next time.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009

Sorry, that's not good enough for me. Necessary, but no sufficient. Even a judgment in the boy's favor is not enough.

If Paul Dean can lose $17 million worth of employment and licensing agreements for something she said more than 30 years ago, how do the people who caused this horror keep their employment? They need to go. I would not want them having anything to do with educating my children, and I suspect a lot of people in Calvert County would agree with me.

Get...out...now....

Immigman

Apr 5, 2013
    Here in Maryland we have the ACLU defending a student's right not to stand during the pledge of allegiance. I'm not holding out hope that the ACLU would do the same for this kid.

Don't be so sure. The ACLU has a pretty good track record litigating on issues similar to this one. There were the black band cases in the 60s. In 2006, the ACLU of filed a lawsuit and won against the North Central Regional Library District in Washington state for its policy of refusing to disable restrictions on pro-gun websites. Post Heller they've also litigated several cases involving gun rights. While many of their causes might seem liberal, they really are intellectually honest in their defense of Constitutional rights.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Bummer that they agreed not to sue

Absolutely agree. Nothing says "you really screwed up" like a fat punitive judgement. Makes an impression on those around you, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom