• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    What powders would be comperable to the W231.

Seems to be a need to branch out. Holding out till you get what it is you use may not allow you to load what you want when you want to. I use the W231 and being new would like to know what other options might broaden my powder choices.

Thanks for any info.

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    Very good point, My brain wasn't working

I am reloading 9MM and .40 and soon to be maybe .45 Will the .45 will take me to another level ?

Learning something new every day is a good day to me.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    There are lots of powder that will work for 45ACP. You may want to take a look at the load data on Hodgdons website, and see what other powders they show listed.

As Buff stated, we've tried Clays, and it works pretty good. Its not as snappy as 231, but it does shoot pretty clean, and accurate. Ive also been using it in 45 Colt and its works pretty well in that too.

You actually get 14oz of powder in a can of Clays, but its filled to the neck of the bottle. It takes a less charge of Clays, as its bulky, and fast burning.

I still prefer 231/HP-38, but It never hurts to branch out and see what else works. Who knows, you might find a new good pet powder.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Very good point, My brain wasn't working

I am reloading 9MM and .40 and soon to be maybe .45 Will the .45 will take me to another level ?

Learning something new every day is a good day to me.

Bullseye, Unique and Power Pistol amongst others are all possibilities also. Most have their favorite, and most have their opinions regarding pros and cons for each. Still, in times of spotty availability, it's ask across the counter for what you want, but be prepared to consider taking or trying what you can find.

Vision

Apr 10, 2011
    Havre de Grace, MD
    I've found that hs6 has a pretty similar felt recoil to w231 and it measures well with my setup (Lee Turret w/ pro disk). Im also currently trying titegroup and clays however they seem to be kind of hit and miss on consistency depending on the charge amount im looking for. I did get titegroup to work well for a 165 grain .40 bullet, but it doesn't seem to want to do the charge for a 180 grain.

Clays seems to work great with cast bullets, however for plated rounds i think the charge needs to be increased by .1 or .2 or you can get a number of fte's.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    Bullseye, Unique and Power Pistol amongst others are all possibilities also. Most have their favorite, and most have their opinions regarding pros and cons for each. Still, in times of spotty availability, it's ask across the counter for what you want, but be prepared to consider taking or trying what you can find.

This is kind of my mindset. I am liking the W231 and have no problems at all with it. Lots of good info Thanks Guys I really appreciate it!

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    The last powders I would use in .40 would be Clays and TiteGroup. Both, and N310, have produced "random" pressure spikes and velocity increases. Stay below mid-range.
    Truly comparable powders to 231/HP38 would be:
    Zip
    After that, WST, Competition, 700X and Green Dot.
    For 9x19, if you want light target loads (minor PF), then AA2, Solo 1000, Bullseye, and N320 are excellent choices.
    If you want 9x19 loaded mid-range to MAX, then Power Pistol should be first choice (if you can find any), WSF, HS6, Silhouette, and N340.
    For .40S&W, you can't find a more accurate powder for light to mid-range loads than AA5. Of course, 231/HP38 is still good.
    For .40S&W mid-range to max, you can't do better than Silhouette. You can also use WSF, Power Pistol, Unique, Universal, N340, and SR4756.
    In broadest terms, any powder from Bullseye to Blue Dot can be used, some just seem to be more "universally" better for a specific cartridge.
    Personally, I made sure I had enough AA2, AA5, 231/HP38, and Silhouette before the re-election. I missed Power Pistol since I hadn't been shooting 9x19 in a long time and 9x21 and .38 Super don't seem to like PP as much as 9x19.

MAKINTRAX

Nov 7, 2008
    Harford County MD
    Have used Clays and couldn't wait to burn through the pound that I had. It doesn't meter very well and too many reports of pressure spikes. Universal Clays is better.

For standard/light loads in 9mm, 40S&W or 38 Special, I stick with WW231, HP38 (same as 231), Accurate #2, Ramshot Zip, Titegroup or Bullseye. For higher power loads move to a slower burning powder - Ramshot True Blue, Accruate #5 & #7, Unique, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom