• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    *****I see the gun as well as CCW in general as basically emergency equipment. I'm doing everything I can to get the heck out of a situation that might require it, but it is there in case there is no other option.
    That's right. Like a fire extinguisher or a jack.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA

That link saves me a lot of typing:

Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Avoidance: The act of avoiding or keeping away from (Three Stupid Rule.) If you can safely retreat from the encounter, by all means do so. For instance, if you are out for a walk and feel threatened or intimidated by an occupant of a car, you should retreat in the opposite direction that the car is traveling.

Deterrence: The act of discouraging someone from taking hostile action against you by being aware of them and their possible intent.

De-escalation: The act of decreasing in intensity. To not let your ego or emotions get the best of you, to refrain from escalating the problem into more than it already is. As a CCW you may need to back down from non-life threatening, argumentative encounters in order to not allow things to spiral out of control.
    When these things do not work, then and only then may you need to show or use the gun. Just because we are carrying does not mean that we need to use the gun. You want to do whatever is reasonably possible to avoid using the gun. But when your well researched, well thought out “line in the sand” has been crossed you need to act without hesitation.

The “Three Stupid” Rule

“Do not go to stupid places, with stupid people, and do stupid things”

We all know that nobody wants thugs to dictate where they can or cannot go. Put there are simply some places, people, and things that you should avoid if you want to lower your risks. You can cut down on your risks by a good 95% if you just follow the three stupid rule.

Great comments from all!

Joppa’s post should be required content in any W&C training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Personal philosophy:
    Whether armed or unarmed Never Open a Can of Whoop-ass lightly, remember someone has to clean up afterwards and the paperwork is a a bitch.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I realize that I may be called out but I need to sound off about carrying . Some have carried for a living and some have carried for self protection but what I have learned since 2013 is walk away if you can.
    Take a deep breath and think about things.
    Now some things you will have not have time. But try to de-escalate if it is a building argument please walk away.

I think as a member we should talk about what is important.
    Truly one of the Best pieces of advice I have seen on this forum, Thanks
    Great points for those who can use it OP :thumbsup:

There are times in life for everything under the sun. Those who choose their path wisely, will have more time and more choices.

Going out in a blaze of glory… is STILL going out. Don’t do that for the wrong reasons.
    Unfortunately this is the true Caveat, and the reason for most to carry in the first place. If people were of "normal" mindset there would not be the need to CCW. BUT, the last generation that grew up with the "NO FEAR" motto and the inability to understand how final DEATH is, force a man's hand.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Carrying on a regular basis has improved my awareness, made me think about things in a much more intentional way, made me much less quick to anger, and I never drink outside my home now (not that I did that a lot before)... overall it has been a good experience for me.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My whole idea is to not walk away, but not even walk into a situation. I don't have to de escalate a situation. I don't need to try and calm you down. I just need to get away from you.
    My deadly force "go moment" requires no chat with you. You will let me know when I need to use it. Otherwise, mobility is survivability. I'm going to GTFO.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I’ll say this. Carrying has made me much more interested in watching just about every violent encounter / DGU video that I come across. I watch, watch again slower, watch 3-5 more times. I’m looking for several things.

1) How aware were they of their surroundings, prior to the confrontation.

2) Did they have time to create substantial distance or otherwise avoid the confrontation.

3) Did they do anything to escalate the situation.

4) How did they get ready to defend themself in case it was necessary. Where did they draw from and how did they get the gun on target.

5) What was the precise point that the person defending himself had no other reasonable alternative to shooting.

6) How fast was either the attacker or the victim injured or died.

Usually my conclusion is that it’s way better to identify the threat at step 1 and never need to get to stage 2 if possible.
    Good Post.

That video of the cop shooting the perp who pulled up beside him at a traffic stop, taught a lot for viewers.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Carrying a gun shouldn't be the reason one is/has finally become more aware of their surroundings. Being defenseless should raise awareness to the UMPTEENTH level from the start.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Great comments in this thread and all very true. Next week is one year carrying for me, and while I have been collecting, shooting, and a general enthusiast in this thing of ours for over 20 years I’m not the same person as I was just a year ago. Everything being described is an elevation of mindset. As Sun Tzu said it is good to appear weak when you are strong and the satisfaction in knowing that you possess a critical strategic advantage is a much better feeling than trying to show strength though hollow demonstrations of volume and gesture that many insecure individuals rely upon.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    The object is to avoid confrontation. Escalation ain’t your friend. Intent and opportunity will be reviewed in detail and under a very different light after the fact.

Lady Justice is a blindfolded b1tch for a reason.
    Great and timely thread Welder.
    Everyone already seems to have the correct idea about the value of deescalation and choosing to walk away rather than letting pride and hubris make a situation worse.

So, with that settled, in MDS fashion I write to address the “blind” lady justice. Justice is not supposed to be blind - that was added during essentially a protest and caught on.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I’ll say this. Carrying has made me much more interested in watching just about every violent encounter / DGU video that I come across. I watch, watch again slower, watch 3-5 more times. I’m looking for several things.

1) How aware were they of their surroundings, prior to the confrontation.

2) Did they have time to create substantial distance or otherwise avoid the confrontation.

3) Did they do anything to escalate the situation.

4) How did they get ready to defend themself in case it was necessary. Where did they draw from and how did they get the gun on target.

5) What was the precise point that the person defending himself had no other reasonable alternative to shooting.

6) How fast was either the attacker or the victim injured or died.

Usually my conclusion is that it’s way better to identify the threat at step 1 and never need to get to stage 2 if possible.

I watch a lot of the videos available on scenarios as well. This one made me think a lot about the assumptions we make regarding what a situation is and how we may not fully understand if action is taken too quickly without a complete evaluation of what is happening. These moments are going to happen in a matter of seconds when they do.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I watch a lot of the videos available on scenarios as well. This one made me think a lot about the assumptions we make regarding what a situation is and how we may not fully understand if action is taken too quickly without a complete evaluation of what is happening. These moments are going to happen in a matter of seconds when they do.
    I have always said this for years. It's not always a "fast draw" that's needed. Slow, deliberate, and stealthy sometimes is the order of the day. We don't have to mention warning shots. Assess first before you act. As far as I could see, he acted just when the guy started yelling and not even produce a weapon. That's not a lethal act.

Watching people. Those 2 were walking in there with a purpose while others are just moseying customers. That needs to be a hint right there to keep an eye on someone/people.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Everyone already seems to have the correct idea about the value of deescalation and choosing to walk away rather than letting pride and hubris make a situation worse.

So, with that settled, in MDS fashion I write to address the “blind” lady justice. Justice is not supposed to be blind - that was added during essentially a protest and caught on.
    I was always under the impression (without regard to when or who deemed her blind) the blindfold was out there so justice could be meted equally…without regard to social or financial status. Regardless of why, I see her peeking more often than not and the justice system being played on at least three non level fields. Uber wealthy, working taxpayers and denizens of downtown are the three classes of justice customers I see today. The legal system is neither fair nor consistent and imo is increasingly a political stage concerned with many other issues than the fair and consistent application of the law.

Beyond that, I see the blindfold as either explanation or anticipation of an imperfect system. Anybody who tells me that right will prevail in a court hearing (judge or jury) is p1ssing up a slack halyard in my book. The best case can always produce the worst results. So too, the worst case can yield a questionable and objectionable result with little regard for right, wrong or the letter of the law. So…crapshoot going in. Thus the blindfold imo.

”Better than most” is not a solid recommendation in my book.

In true and respectful MDS fashion, I see the blindfold as warranted and appropriate. I’m not at law or even Esquire or Honorable. I’ve though pored over way too many a questionable result.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    I was a huge hot head. I never backed down from an argument I still dont except when I am carrying. Its like I become a different person I keep my head down and quiet and avoid confrontation by any means neccasary.
    With that said I think justifiable homicide will go up for a few months then the thugs will get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom