• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I was wondering if anyone knew if the wallmart in Germantown sold ammo. I think I've been there 3 times over the past 4 years and I dont recall them selling ammo. If they do, anyone got a word or two? How are their prices and inventory? Though it is like a 30 minute drive for me it might be worth making the trip since I can't really find cheap or even "well priced" ammo around rockville.

I'm just asking because I'd prefer to buy in person rather than buy online, but I might have to go ahead and buy online if I can't find good deals locally.

P.S. I'm in the .38 special market.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    If your looking for HD rounds don't go to walmart if you want ammo to take out to the farm and make holes in tress trust me buy online. I don't know how often you shoot but if you buy in 200-500 rd cases its cheaper and shipping is only 9 bucks most of the time. I stopped buying ammo in stores (for the most part) when they tried to charge me 16 bucks for a box of .38 spl blazer in cumberland.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    The Walmart in Germantown used to sell guns (long ago). Now they just sell ammo. I rarely see .38 there. Most of my purchases there are 12g, 9mm, and .22lr at that store, but as you can guess, I go there expecting that they'll carry these common rounds.

jetli

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 6, 2011
    rockville
    Lol, seriously? I didn't know that.

OP, I buy most of my plinking ammo at Walmart in Germantown. I usually empty the cabinet when I go there. 9mm, .45ACP, x39, 12 ga trap loads

talked to em about 5 years ago and said carrying ammo was contributing toward crime... I stopped going there

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I buy some plinking ammo there from time to time, mostly .22lr since I reload 9mm and 45acp. Its almost always a pain in the A$$ to find someone to open the ammo cabinet for me. Last time I was there they couldnt find the key. It took 40 mins, no joke, to find a key. I guess I shouldnt be suprised that the service there sucks, but come on. How do you lose the only key to the ammo cabinet for more then 40 mins? And yes, I asked the manager if there was only one key and he said "Yep". How stupid is that? 1 key? You dont have an extra put away somewhere incase the one on the floor gets lost? "No" was the reply. And when you ask someone there for help their standard reply is "thats not my department". Well get of your butt and find someone that does actually work here. If you cant help me then help me find someone that can!
    If they werent the cheapest source for plinking .22lr Id go elsewhere. But even when you compare online prices for the .22lr Value Packs from Federal, Winchester, or Remington they really are the cheapest.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I just head over to the auto counter and make them retrieve someone. Half the time, they can open up the ammo display anyways.

I agree that it's hard to beat Walmart on 22lr, although recent price increases have made them rather less of a no-brainer, especially compared to the hassle of shopping there. I see a bunch of folks online selling CCI Blazer at a nice price even including shipping, for example.

MDresident

Sep 22, 2010
    Germantown Walmart rarely sells ammo because there is no employees that staff the sporting goods department. Finding someone that knows where the key is or how to open the cabinet is futile, and, unless you have large doses of patience and lots of time on your hands, I suppose you COULD purchase some ammo. But, their inventory is limited to the "less dangerous" ammo. :rolleyes:

You would have a much better experience in Mt. Airy Walmart. Or, just avoid the incompentence and other annoyances and order from CheaperThanDirt or similar websites.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I will drop by dicks sporting goods in gaithersburg and check with them on inventory and prices. The guys who work in the hunting department in my opinion are great. They know what they're talking about and are helpful even though they look a little bored. I'm 90% sure their prices are not competitive though. they probably go with MSRB prices. I know their 12 gauge round prices werent anything particularly amazing.

obi-wan

May 26, 2011
    Does anyone know what the price of 9mm is at the Germantown Walmart? I plan on ordering some ammo but need to wait to get paid to order in bulk :-(

Last edited:

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Same here. I've purchased several thousands of rnds there. Rarely a problem. The longest I've had to wait is 5-10 minutes for a clerk w/a key...

Jamie

Ha, a couple weeks ago I had to actually unlock the cabinet b/c the lady who was there had no clue how to operate a key. :rolleyes:

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    The Germantown Wal-Mart is about as much of a Wal-Mart as the Starbucks in Safeway.

After living in Western PA for a while, getting used to the legit Super Center Wal-Mart stores, that place is a joke. It's not even open 24 hours! Sometimes they have ammo but it's usually hard to find someone to help you out. I only go there as a last resort.

My favorite trick is when they ask "what kind of gun is this for?" (I'm asked this every time, I guess if you say "handgun" they check your ID) at checkout, tell them "oh it's for a fully automatic UZI." and wait for the :shocked4: face. ;)

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    The Germantown Wal-Mart is about as much of a Wal-Mart as the Starbucks in Safeway.

After living in Western PA for a while, getting used to the legit Super Center Wal-Mart stores, that place is a joke. It's not even open 24 hours! Sometimes they have ammo but it's usually hard to find someone to help you out. I only go there as a last resort.

My favorite trick is when they ask "what kind of gun is this for?" (I'm asked this every time, I guess if you say "handgun" they check your ID) at checkout, tell them "oh it's for a fully automatic UZI." and wait for the :shocked4: face. ;)
    :lol2::lol::thumbsup:

atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD
    just go a little bit north to the Wal Mart in Mt. Airy. The guys there that man the sporting goods desk are very pleasant and made a gun purchase very smooth and friendly to boot.

1969Vette

Jun 10, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    just go a little bit north to the Wal Mart in Mt. Airy. The guys there that man the sporting goods desk are very pleasant and made a gun purchase very smooth and friendly to boot.

On a whim, I purchased a Mossberg .22 box of Remington 550 .22lr 550 loose rd at the Mt. Airy Wal-Mart two weeks ago. Prices were good, service slow, but hey, it's Wal-Mart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom