• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Trying to decide on which one to buy for my girlfriend to use at the range.she likes shooting my sig 226 elite dark, however I think a 22 will be better for plinking and range use. I've narrowed it down to these 2 and am leaning towards the sig. I'll be buying a ruger most likely for my self soon so thats out. Any input or links to similar threads would be greatly appreciated, sorry if its a repost.

She loves shooting rifles, pistols and shotguns. This will be more "her" gun to take to the range.
    Tia

Sent from my DROIDX

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Never shot the Mosquito, but I love my P22. Shoots cheap Remington Goldens all day (except for the 1 in 80 or so that are duds), shoots the premium stuff 100% reliably (except subsonic rounds), including CCI Stingers.

My only gripe? It only comes with one magazine.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thinking about adding a buckmark into the picture. Haven't found to many good review of either the mosquito or p22

Both the Mosquito and P22 are terrible guns. They are made of pot metal and are VERY ammo sensitive and not that accurate.

I only said P22 if I only had 2 choices.

If you want a great .22 Auto Handgun theres only 2 modern produced options

1) S&W Model 41
    2) Ruger MK3 or 22/45

Buckmarks cant be refined like a MKI, II, III, or 22/45 can be.

Jack Gordon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2011
    Places Unknown
    I had a mosquito and it was beyond junk...but I have a friend who has a p22 for sometime now. He has shot the snot out of that thing. He's gotten his money's worth ten fold from it. I say p22

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    My wife likes the P22, and I've heard the Mosquito has some issues, so my vote would be for the P22. It's still (reportedly) picky about ammo, but once you find what it likes P22 reviews are good.

It's not a last forever gun like the Rugers. Just not built from the right materials. However, it is light and easy to handle for small hands, like my wifes. Gotta weigh the pluses and minuses.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Both the Mosquito and P22 are terrible guns. They are made of pot metal and are VERY ammo sensitive and not that accurate.

I only said P22 if I only had 2 choices.

If you want a great .22 Auto Handgun theres only 2 modern produced options

1) S&W Model 41
    2) Ruger MK3 or 22/45

Buckmarks cant be refined like a MKI, II, III, or 22/45 can be.

This

Ultimate Member
    isn't a Smith and Wesson M&P coming out? http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_773655_-1_757781_757781_image

222000_01_md.jpg

and there is also the 1911 22 from GSG

the p22 is good for kids, not really for targets even with that extension that does not always stay on.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I had a few issues until I got some rounds through my Mosquito but seems to be working fine now. Since all I'm doing is plinking, it serves it's purpose and it's comfortable for me.

BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    My wife's skeeter runs just fine too. It seems to be one of those guns that has a lot of lemons, but if you get a good one, they're just fine. I can run the cheapo bulk Remington's from walmart all day long.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have a Mosquito, and it's a fun little plinker. Mine is very reliable, even with crappy Remington subsonic ammo (I've done almost all of the shooting through an SWR Spectre, if that makes a difference.) Accuracy is only so-so, even with decent ammo (WME.) It is easy to take apart for cleaning, which .22's need a lot.

That being said, the gun is pot metal and plastic, with construction on par with an airsoft pistol (we are talking about a $300 pistol, after all.) Now that the Rugers are offered with threaded barrels, I'll probably trade it in on a Mark III 22/45 with a threaded barrel, or just sell it. Or maybe get a threaded marvel 1911 conversion; I haven't decided yet. What I REALLY want is a Model 41 with a threaded barrel, but am not sure it's worth $1300 to me; I'd like to get a 41 before they stop making them, which you know is coming.

bfreeder00

Apr 27, 2009
    Delaware/ Iraq
    I have a Desert Digital Mosquito and I love it. Have not had any issues with any ammo that I have used in it. Its also fits my hands better than most .22 pistols I have tried. Must say that I have never had the chance to try a P22 though

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    I really want a ruger mark iii for me haha, which hopefully I get in the next few months. She was pretty dead set on the p22/mosquito. I might just buy a $300 hunk of junk and outshoot her with the ruger :). Still havent completely decided yet. But whatever keeps her coming to the range and after I buy her a gun I'm free to buy whatever guns I want.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I really want a ruger mark iii for me haha, which hopefully I get in the next few months. She was pretty dead set on the p22/mosquito. I might just buy a $300 hunk of junk and outshoot her with the ruger :). Still havent completely decided yet. But whatever keeps her coming to the range and after I buy her a gun I'm free to buy whatever guns I want.

If she wants the mosquito then get it for her. Just get it from a shop that will stand behind the sale. If Walther has to replace the gun customer support means everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom