• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

After my recent shoot (about two weeks ago) with my single-shot bp pistol.
    I scrubbed the heck of it, first with windex/water at the range and then at home with hoppe's. After all that I made sure I oiled the inside of the barrel real well. Yesterday i checked the gun and i noticed a few brown-spots inside the barrel. I never had a problem like this before, I shot this pistol several times befofe. So what the heck happened???????
    :sad20:

Last edited:

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I clean BP guns in HOT soapy water, the hotter the better.(Helps clean & dry quicker) After the gun comes clean do your best to dry it, then flood it with oil. Clean off most of the oil and leave it.
    I always pop off a few caps before the initial loading to burn out that oil.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    After my recent shoot (about two weeks ago) with my single-shot bp pistol.
    I scrubbed the heck of it, first with windex/water at the range and then at home with hoppe's. After all that I made sure I oiled the inside of the barrel real well. Yesterday i checked the gun and i noticed a few brown-spots inside the barrel. I never had a problem like this before, I shot this pistol several times befofe. So what the heck happened???????
    :sad20:

Just to be certain, which hoppes did you use? They make several, one specifically for black powder. I usually just use water.

Also, what oil? Ballistol will work, but I find I have to reapply it one or two times every couple of days for a few days. Products like Barricade or Rust Prevent seem to keep even my pitted barrels from rusting at all. Before shooting/loading any muzzleloader I wash/wipe the bore with alcohol and let it dry for a while to remove the oils and not foul the powder charge with oil or alcohol.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    +1 on barricade at the end
    After the water you need to get rid of it with something . Hot water helps it evaporate but I follow with alcohol then Wd 40
    Then dry patch that out then barricade.

Nearly everyone I talk to has some sort of variation but you gotta get rid of the water from the pores and crevices .
    Just patching it out does not always do it .

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    I use hot soapy water to clean. Rinse with near boiling water. Heat from water helps dry barrel. Swab bore with bore butter while barrel is still warm. This over time will essentially season the barrel, kind of like a cast iron frying pan. Tried WD40 but noticed fouling was bad after 2 shots. Use whatever you want on the exterior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom