• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I was just watching Tales of the Gun on History channel, and this episode was about million dollar guns.

Anyway, they were discussing the Walker Colt and they made the claim that the 44 caliber Walker Colt in 1842 packed more of a punch than a modern 44 Magnum.

I find that a little tough to believe, anyone know this to be fact of fiction?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The Walker Colt was a massive handgun. Many years back some magazine publisher printed a "special edition" about magnum handguns and they included that gun. I seem to remember they said that a Walker had more energy than anything until the .357 Magnum was introduced.

I have never fired one, so I do not have first hand knowledge.

I call BS on that. I'll take 1955-to-present metalurgy over 1842 metalurgy any day of the week and twice on Sunday...

I just don't think it was possible back then to produce the kind of steels suitable for making cylinders that can handle the kind of pressures generated by the .44mag, let alone exceeding it.

Plus, this is blackpowder, too, not smokeless. Totally different pressure curves and burn speeds.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    I call BS on that. I'll take 1955-to-present metalurgy over 1842 metalurgy any day of the week and twice on Sunday...

I just don't think it was possible back then to produce the kind of steels suitable for making cylinders that can handle the kind of pressures generated by the .44mag, let alone exceeding it.

Plus, this is blackpowder, too, not smokeless. Totally different pressure curves and burn speeds.

I'd have to 2nd that. I can't imagine how they could say that when real "steel" wasn't introduced until later.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    Still, the Walker is bad ass and I will get a repro eventually. Massive smoke & big bang. It's the only black powder handgun on my want list. It's just cool.

indiana cletus

Slayer of squirrels
    Apr 26, 2011
    pikesville md
    ive got a repro walker and a 44 mag so...... i call bs. my 44 mag has more punch, but id still hate to be on the recieving end of either! and the walker, maybe not as powerful, but a BLAST to shoot! 5 lbs of steel, with 6 shots, 60 grains each shot out of that massive 9 inch barrel, its the closest you can get to a handheld cannon! always gets stares at the range, and has put several deer in my freezer. if you havent fired one, you need to!

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    44 Walker Colt, 60gr FFFg, 141gr round lead ball = 500+ ftlbs energy

S&W Mod 29, 44Mag, 240gr JSP = 1,200 ftlbs of energy

Yeah, it sounded a little off. I thought black powder was limited to a relatively low top speed due to it's burn time.

But, still, 500 ft lbs for a revolver before the civil war is pretty bad a$$, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom