• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Watertown Man Going To Prison For Illegal Machine Gun Possession

A 60 year old Watertown man is going to prison for illegally possessing machine guns.

Bruce Fowler was sentenced in federal court in Syracuse to 1 year and 1 day in prison as well as 3 years of supervised release.

He admitted to illegally possessing three machinegun conversion devices.

Fowler pleaded guilty on March 9, 2016.

It is illegal to possess fully automatic machine guns in the United States, and cannot legally be offered for sale.

Realizing that, Fowler bought conversion devices from a foreign supplier and used them to convert a Glock handgun and an AR-15 rifle to fire as fully automatic.

He also purchased two high capacity magazines for the Glock handgun.

When confronted by U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Special Agents about these purchases, Fowler initially denied that he had done so, then admitted to only the purchases known by ATF at the time and surrendered those devices to ATF while concealing that he had purchased yet another device.

When confronted by ATF about that final conversion device, Fowler admitted making that purchase as well, but claimed that he had discarded it and other materials in a trash dumpster.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Kind of predictable. And I wouldn't be surprised if the ATF was running a "foreign supplier" sting operation.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    It is illegal to possess fully automatic machine guns in the United States, and cannot legally be offered for sale.

Well this isn't exactly true. There are several ways for a civilian to legally own a fully automatic firearm. I know several shops that not only offer them for sale but do so legally.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    There should be an amendment to the constitution to give people the right to keep and bear arms. What this man did should be legal in a free country.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    I'm wondering how he got caught. It's not mentioned in the article.

Well they mentioned the ATF confronting him about his online purchase of full auto sears so I'm guessing the ATF gets notified by this overseas store when people in the US purchase these sorts of items. Not surprising given the heightened state of security regarding domestic terrorism.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm wondering how he got caught. It's not mentioned in the article.

He purchased the parts overseas. Any communications you have overseas are fair game. Plus, who knows, it may have been a sting by agents who never left the US.

Your never go FR.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    He purchased the parts overseas. Any communications you have overseas are fair game. Plus, who knows, it may have been a sting by agents who never left the US.

Your never go FR.

The other possibility is that customs monitors shipments from known sources of these full-auto parts.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    There is a lot of back ground not mentioned in the article. Its a well know case or cases . A gentalmen from I believe Belgium ( its been a while so I may have that part wrong) Had a online store , He sold complete M16 lowers, Lightning links, Glock switches, full auto 10/22 trigger packs and bolts , And basic suppressor kits. Then shipped them to the US . The guy who did this was a illegal arms dealer. It so happened he flew to the states about 3 years ago and ATF nabbed him. They sent the police to his business and got copies of every transaction that was shipped to the states. From there ATF contacted everyone on the lists about what they had purchased. There was a bunch of posts on CA guns about this a few years back as well as ar15.com

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    It so happened he flew to the states about 3 years ago and ATF nabbed him. They sent the police to his business and got copies of every transaction that was shipped to the states. From there ATF contacted everyone on the lists about what they had purchased.

That makes sense. Sort of like they squeeze customer lists out of foreign banks.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    1 year AND 1 day.

prohibited for life.

idiot

First the sentence does not matter ...only the max penalty which is 19 years..

He is prohibited regardless of sentence..

Second ...it will not stop him from acquiring guns...even full auto again...bet on it

Third... this is why terrorist are sliping though to busy with nonsense like this..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom