• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Hence, the appeal for patience because, strictly speaking, investigators apparently do not have the authority to force dealers to hold up a sale beyond the 7 day minimum.

I didn't like the way they threw this in there. It makes it sound like some dealers might release firearms without a complete background check when we all know it doesn't happen.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I didn't like the way they threw this in there. It makes it sound like some dealers might release firearms without a complete background check when we all know it doesn't happen.

Notice he never says "we are asking for patience from the purchasers", aka citizens that are having their 2nd amendment rights infringed beyond reason.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Doesn't this bode well in our argument with SB 281? After all part of their arguments is based on the background checks aren't stringent enough (or aren't being done) and how easy it is to buy a firearm. Here you have the State claiming it goes through 17 different data bases for someone to go through a background check and a 7 day process is taking 5-6 weeks (we all know it's longer). So what do they propose to do logistically if they want licensing, training and registration when they are taking 6-8 times as long with their regular process because of increased volume? :innocent0

Doesn't this bode well in our argument with SB 281? After all part of their arguments is based on the background checks aren't stringent enough (or aren't being done) and how easy it is to buy a firearm. Here you have the State claiming it goes through 17 different data bases for someone to go through a background check and a 7 day process is taking 5-6 weeks (we all know it's longer). So what do they propose to do logistically if they want licensing, training and registration when they are taking 6-8 times as long with their regular process because of increased volume? :innocent0

This exactly.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    and, why are these officers administrating paperwork 24/7 for law abiding citizens when they should be catching the real criminals (unless you're telling me there are real criminals and gangsters among those tens of thousands of applications:lol2: ).

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    That article seems to settle the question of whether dealers can release on time if MSP drags their feet on the background check.

Answer: They can.

Unfortunately that does complicate who to sue for delaying so long because the government isn't forcing dealers to wait (hard to sue them for something they aren't doing) and a lawsuit forcing a business to engage in a transaction against their will wouldn't be a good precedent and probably isn't winnable.

It strengthens the argument against giving the MSP more to do, but seems to make it harder to remedy the immediate problem of arbitrary and capricious delays.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    and, why are these officers administrating paperwork 24/7 for law abiding citizens when they should be catching the real criminals (unless you're telling me there are real criminals and gangsters among those tens of thousands of applications:lol2: ).

Making me wonder how many come back "not approved". Those forms make me laugh, who would check "Yes" to those questions, especially the one that asks if you are a fugitive from the law??? As if...

Starting to feel like TSA. Make us wait however long to get through after being molested, infested.... For our own safety of course.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    "Shipley said with the possibility of stricter gun control measures on the way in Maryland, he hopes more funds are also going to be in the pipeline from Annapolis to provide the resources that would be needed to process the data. "

Don't count on it, bud.

The longer the delay the better in their opinions.

"We're not trying to eliminate your 2nd Ammendment rights. We just want to make them impossible to exercise."

Lagmeister1950

Shooter since '61
    Feb 1, 2013

And, WBAL appears not to be sophisticated enough to ask them what all they are checking for. What is in 17 data bases regarding safety? There are only a selected few reason to deny a right. Are all these few reasons in 17 data bases.

Truth is, I suspect it goes back to the parking ticket check issue among other things.

raff696

Nov 1, 2008
    That article seems to settle the question of whether dealers can release on time if MSP drags their feet on the background check.

Answer: They can.

Unfortunately that does complicate who to sue for delaying so long because the government isn't forcing dealers to wait (hard to sue them for something they aren't doing) and a lawsuit forcing a business to engage in a transaction against their will wouldn't be a good precedent and probably isn't winnable.

It strengthens the argument against giving the MSP more to do, but seems to make it harder to remedy the immediate problem of arbitrary and capricious delays.

Its not the State Govt that the dealers must fear. Its the Feds, If a FFL dealer releases a weapon before getting the all clear from the MSP and also getting that NICS Number that goes on the paper work. The dealer can face holy hell from the ATF and so on. This was explained to me by the guys at White Marsh Arms.

If it was only the State the dealers had to deal with then we would all have our guns in the approriate time.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    It sounds to me, from listening to this interview, gun dealers have the green light to release firearms after seven days. I have been told I hear what I want to hear, but that is what I heard.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    There was a thread on here a week or so ago about it. It was a well respected and knowledgeable FFL in the area. As far as how I know it's true I'll plead the 5th before they take that one away too.

I believe it violates federal law to do so. If you find the link, please post it. No dealer can transfer a firearm without a NICS check. Since the NICS check happens on the MSP side, I don't see it happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom