• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Now that Maryland is being forced to join the rest of the nation as a Shall Issue state, Maryland Shooters needs a new "Wear and Carry," or "Open and Concealed Carry" subforum/section.

It would make legal and practical information more accessible, instead of scattering such information within and without the Water Cooler. It could consolidate information on getting the permit, carry gear and holsters, and practical aspects of carry.

Perhaps even more importantly, it could group together reports on encounters with Law Enforcement (LEOs) and with Members of the Public (MOPs). There are going to be a lot more such encounters, and it would be helpful and informative to group our stories and reports together. Similar sections of other forums, such as PAFOA and Georgia Packing are very useful and interesting.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Good idea.

Different states have different laws when you’re carrying and come in direct contact with police. What is Maryland’s law?

MD Criminal Law § 4-206

That doesn’t require one to affirmatively disclose that they’re armed right away, but it does allow an officer to determine whether or not one is legally armed with a handgun.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    This is a great idea with a few stickies containing the facts as stated above.
    Legal and insurance resources may also be appropriate.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I think it's a solid plan, but I do think it would be a high moderation area. I can see it quickly filling with technical threads about guns and gear instead of laws and experiences. Can you send a link to one of the other boards you're talking about so we can see how it's set up?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I think it's a solid plan, but I do think it would be a high moderation area. I can see it quickly filling with technical threads about guns and gear instead of laws and experiences. Can you send a link to one of the other boards you're talking about so we can see how it's set up?
    Everyone is going to want a holster recommendation so we may as well have a section for holsters and vehicle security.

Also maybe a section for where NOT to carry in Maryland. Fact based not editorial.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Everyone is going to want a holster recommendation so we may as well have a section for holsters and vehicle security.
    I wonder if we might be served adding a subforum about concealable weapons in general. Everything you ever wanted to know about short-barreled handguns, ammo performance and holsters.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I wonder if we might be served adding a subforum about concealable weapons in general. Everything you ever wanted to know about short-barreled handguns, ammo performance and holsters.
    I would say yes. A year from now people will go from carrying whatever they have however they can to purposely buying carry guns and carry gear.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Holsters are like socks. Does this one go with this outfit?

They could have their own forum half as large as the rest of MDS

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Holsters are like socks. Does this one go with this outfit?

They could have their own forum half as large as the rest of MDS
    I can hear it now, honey, does this holster make me look fat?

Seriously though, good idea for a sub forum.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    From the S&W Forum:
    Concealed Carry & Self Defense (28 Viewing)
    All aspects of Concealed and Open Carry, Home and Self Defense.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I think "Wear&Carry / self defense" in the topics of interest would work. We already have competitive shooting, recreational shooting and a few for other purposes that have their own section. Firearms themselves are probably best discussed under the arsenal: handguns , holsters and gear under the depot. Being self defense and the daily considerations of wear and carry are fairly unique and don't fit in a lot of other categories, probably would be a good spot. would also be a good place to sticky the FAQ threads on how to get a permit and legal stuff.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... Can you send a link to one of the other boards you're talking about so we can see how it's set up?

I linked to the Pafoa (Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association) and the Georgia Packing forum in the original post. Pafoa I'm most familiar with, and it's probably most relevant to us. I recall Ohio has a forum I used to look at too.

I always found reports of LEO and MOP (Member of Public) encounters interesting and educational. There is going to be a period of adjustment for everybody, for those carrying, for Law Enforcement responding to panicked "Man With a Gun!!!!!!!" (MWAG) reports, for dispatchers receiving such calls: we'll all go through a learning curve.

Here's the link again, for the Concealed and Open Carry subforum at PAFOA:

Notice it breaks down into two more subfora: one for Concealed Carry

and another sub-subforum for Open Carry:

Last edited:

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Would it be too much to have sub of subforum since there are bordering states to MD? It looks like this:

Open and Concealed Carry
    PA
    DE
    MD
    VA
    WV

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think it will grow naturally. After a while, it may be necessary to break it down into subcatagories, but for now it's a little thin.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    MD Criminal Law § 4-206

That doesn’t require one to affirmatively disclose that they’re armed right away, but it does allow an officer to determine whether or not one is legally armed with a handgun.

Thanks. It might be easier on everyone to admitted it, and produce docs if asked, otherwise STFU. I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom