• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I guess those people aren't rational in the first place so makes sense.

Your response sums up any long winded response I'd create about how dumb people are. I appreciate your constant use of common sense and I mean that sincerely

Cadillac jack

Mar 5, 2014
    Crofton
    I was pulled over in moco in 2004 one nice the officer made contact with and told me that my 3rd light was out I did not know I said ok. She later on ask if I smoke marijuana I said no she told me to step out the car and ask did I have any handguns, ak47, hand grenades, anthrax or any dangerous substance in my car I told her my job doesn't allow me to carry those things she asked me what my job was and then I showed her my badge she politely told me to get in the car

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I was pulled over in moco in 2004 one nice the officer made contact with and told me that my 3rd light was out I did not know I said ok. She later on ask if I smoke marijuana I said no she told me to step out the car and ask did I have any handguns, ak47, hand grenades, anthrax or any dangerous substance in my car I told her my job doesn't allow me to carry those things she asked me what my job was and then I showed her my badge she politely told me to get in the car

I am going to remember this for the next time :thumbsup: I usually don't let them get nearly that far into the monologue. This is kinda funny lol

Cadillac jack

Mar 5, 2014
    Crofton
    I am going to remember this for the next time :thumbsup: I usually don't let them get nearly that far into the monologue. This is kinda funny lol

Well what was in my head was I had a friend from pg tell me that moco had him sitting on the ground I ask did you show your credentials he replied I show them and they still search my vehicle and had me on the ground. I ask had he been drinking he replied no. That crazy

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well what was in my head was I had a friend from pg tell me that moco had him sitting on the ground I ask did you show your credentials he replied I show them and they still search my vehicle and had me on the ground. I ask had he been drinking he replied no. That crazy

There had to be more to that. Wow.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    I understand the rest of your post. I kind of see the plumbing behind it all, too, since driving your vehicle on a public road is subject to the scrutiny associated with any "privilege."

Regarding this, though, does that mean that not having your license on your person is arrestable? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I'm sure I've never been driving without a license and certainly never pulled over without one.

Or is it just a matter of looking you up at that point?

Forgive all my questions. I'm trying to establish the thought process behind traffic enforcement, which seems kind of its own world to me, and how it relates to other rights.

If I stopped you for a traffic infraction and you couldn't provide me with valid photo ID my next step would be to request your name and date of birth. I would then run your information to see if it came back in the system. I would also use Dashboard to view your MVA photograph. After that I would politely remind you to carry your license with you. The only reason I would arrest you is if you provided me with a false name and date of birth.

That being said, yes, technically you are subject to arrest if you drive without identification. Even if licensed you have failed to display license on demand in violation of TA 16-112(c). Without valid photo ID I am supposed to give you a verbal warning or arrest you. Every traffic infraction where the driver does not possess valid photo ID is arrestable (for purposes of positively identifying the driver) but arresting everyone who forgets their license is time consuming and obnoxious so we don't do it. We being the members of my agency. Your mileage may vary depending on where you're stopped and by who.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    There had to be more to that. Wow.

Some agencies don't like or respect other agencies for whatever reason and will go out of their way to treat a fellow Police Officer worse than they would a private citizen. I've never personally understood it and have noticed that these same individuals and agencies are quick to display their badge when stopped off duty.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    The salient question is what did you do in each of these cases?

And, more importantly, why do the majority of voters keep re-electing politicians, who hassle the (mostly white) law-abiding and rationalize criminal activity by (mostly non-white) repeat offenders? And, again, if you want to dismiss me as a racist, don't. Check out the Baltimore Sun's maps in posts #47 through #49 and see for yourself.

Don't know if you are a racist, but you certainly suffer from a severe case of myopia. I say that not just based on this post but on the greater body of postings that I've seen from you on a number of threads.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Don't know if you are a racist, but you certainly suffer from a severe case of myopia. I say that not just based on this post but on the greater body of postings that I've seen from you on a number of threads.
    Myopia? How so?
    I don't mean to hijack this thread (this subject really merits not only a thread of its own, but an open and frank public discussion of the effects of culture on gun violence), but the post to which you refer is based on Baltimore Sun numbers, which, according to the Sun, come from the Baltimore PD. If you compare the numbers of blacks killed by guns in Baltimore to the numbers of whites killed by guns in Baltimore, the difference isn't just striking, but instructive. Or am I missing something?

almiller1963

Oct 18, 2013
    Forest Hill, Md
    If I pull you over, I'm detaining you. It may be in reference to a traffic violation or it may be in regards to something more serious. Either way, you are not free to leave until I make contact with you and complete my investigation. Follow the line of nonsense contained in that first post and you will spend the day (or night) in jail and have to utilize the services of a bondsman. If I ask you whether or not you're armed you can certainly exercise your right to remain silent. How that will turn out varies from Officer to Officer. As long as you're not intoxicated, insane or going about armed to commit a crime I personally don't care so long as you don't do something stupid like drawing the weapon as I approach or throwing it out the window. Those things tend to raise red flags and may result in a significant emotional event.

I don't understand why anyone would do anything to make a police officer nervous about their safety. If I am minding my own business on the way to the range with a gun safely stowed in my car I'm not at all nervous about telling the police that.

If Maryland wants to take our guns they will and all we can do is move. If we scare a police officer someone could end up dead.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    I don't understand why anyone would do anything to make a police officer nervous about their safety.

Being the subject of a traffic stop has a strange effect on people. Otherwise normal folks often become extremely nervous or extremely angry. Part of that is because traffic stops have become largely about revenue collection rather than public safety. Many folks assume that when they see Police lights in their rear view mirror that a day's pay is about to be lifted from their pockets. Sometimes this is true, sometimes it isn't. Often it depends on what agency is stopping you. Part of it has to do with the drug war which has made the Police and the folks we're supposed to serve adversaries instead of allies. Recreational drug use is so thoroughly ingrained in the culture now that it isn't uncommon to stop all manner of folks who, although peaceable, well mannered and gainfully employed, choose to use marijuana, cocaine and narcotics in the same way that other folks drink scotch. I was very surprised by the number of recreational crack users I found when I started working in this state. Where I was born, crack users were inevitably walking skeletons. But alas, I digress. There's also the reality that the public's view of the Police has changed. Instead of the the uniformed officer walking his beat checking doorknobs the first thing that springs to mind now are often guys with beards and tac vests, smashing down doors and yelling at Grandma. I can tell that this is the case because whenever I walk my post with my cover on and my old school nightstick in my hand the demeanor of the folks around me completely changes. It's like they've seen a ghost, particularly the elderly. (On a side note, the children love it when you make your nightstick dance :D) One of the things that breaks my heart is when I have elderly black people in my area tell me that the Police were more polite, professional, courteous and helpful during the 1950s and 1960s when segregation was in effect than today. That's a sad, sad commentary.

Then again some people act stupid because they're criminals and the sight of my overhead lights causes visions of North Branch and Patuxent to dance in their heads. I can't do much for them except make their dreams come true.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Being the subject of a traffic stop has a strange effect on people. Otherwise normal folks often become extremely nervous or extremely angry. Part of that is because traffic stops have become largely about revenue collection rather than public safety. Many folks assume that when they see Police lights in their rear view mirror that a day's pay is about to be lifted from their pockets. Sometimes this is true, sometimes it isn't. Often it depends on what agency is stopping you. Part of it has to do with the drug war which has made the Police and the folks we're supposed to serve adversaries instead of allies. Recreational drug use is so thoroughly ingrained in the culture now that it isn't uncommon to stop all manner of folks who, although peaceable, well mannered and gainfully employed, choose to use marijuana, cocaine and narcotics in the same way that other folks drink scotch. I was very surprised by the number of recreational crack users I found when I started working in this state. Where I was born, crack users were inevitably walking skeletons. But alas, I digress. There's also the reality that the public's view of the Police has changed. Instead of the the uniformed officer walking his beat checking doorknobs the first thing that springs to mind now are often guys with beards and tac vests, smashing down doors and yelling at Grandma. I can tell that this is the case because whenever I walk my post with my cover on and my old school nightstick in my hand the demeanor of the folks around me completely changes. It's like they've seen a ghost, particularly the elderly. (On a side note, the children love it when you make your nightstick dance :D) One of the things that breaks my heart is when I have elderly black people in my area tell me that the Police were more polite, professional, courteous and helpful during the 1950s and 1960s when segregation was in effect than today. That's a sad, sad commentary.

Then again some people act stupid because they're criminals and the sight of my overhead lights causes visions of North Branch and Patuxent to dance in their heads. I can't do much for them except make their dreams come true.

I have to tell you that it extremely refreshing to see such an honest and candid post from an officer. The police force at large, all of them, need many more with your attitude. I don't get the us/them/thin blue line vibe from you that I get from others here..(not all, some).. I look forward to hearing more from you in threads here..
    Thanks again for your honest post. :thumbsup:

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    I don't get the us/them/thin blue line vibe from you that I get from others here..(not all, some)

That's because I remember what life was like before I pinned on my badge. I also remember why I became a Police Officer. Too many forget and get wrapped up in the internal politics of the job or develop a God complex or a terrible sense of fatalism.

I also have not so fond memories of having to grovel and write letters in the hopes of being issued a pistol license in my home state. The treatment I received from the local police agency to which I was forced to apply was rude and dismissive and the Officers I had to deal with were an embarrassment.

I've met many members of the profession who see themselves as being part of an entitled class. At the same time I remember the Patrolman who gave me his cover no questions asked when I was boy because I told him that I wanted to be a Policeman when I grew up. I had that cover for a long time. I used to dream about the day when I'd be big enough to fit it. Don't misunderstand me, I'm a realist. I know the limits of what I can accomplish both alone and with assistance. At the same time I've been all around the world and I've seen enough to understand that when you bury your idealism and replace it with cynicism that you're poisoning your soul and surrendering an important part of what makes you human. I meet far too many people who wear their apathy like it was the Medal of Honor. Those people are fools and they will die broken and alone surrounded by the ruins of a life they could have salvaged but chose not to.

I still firmly believe in the part of the Policeman's prayer which states that a Policeman should be a terror to burglars and a friend to children and the law abiding. I do my best to live up to that ideal. Some days I make it while other days I come up short but I always try.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This wasn't a case of the cop seeing the drivers Fl CCW. The car was stopped after a tag reader picked up the fl plate and flagged it as belonging to a permit holder. MD is connected to fl ccw database by the fact that fl tags are connected and that info is displayed with the tag info,and that was the only reason he was pulled over.

Umm, I actually sat in on the update from MDTA to several Delegates.

1. No tag reader used in the stop, the stop was based on personal observation of the officer.

2. FL CCW info is NOT tied to FL tag database, never has been, two entirely different departments in FL for two entirely different databases. Just the same as MD's Carry Database is not tied to its tag database. If you would like, I can ask if I can share the written report from MDTA to the Delegates that asked for a briefing on the issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom